MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 44.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

In light of Alder King's compact fluorescent proposal...

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Postby harrissimo » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:07 pm

Dulouz wrote:Are you complimenting him or baiting him?

Explain the pickle wagon thing--seriously--I never heard of it.

I am insulting him. You never heard the pickle wagon thing? How about "Your mother wears army boots".

Schick, Wagstaff, Marvell (with 2 "L"s) - what a bunch of pussies.

Freedom is being put on Ignore!

Of course, Marvell hasn't put me on ignore (Yet!)
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:12 pm

harrissimo wrote:Of course, Marvell hasn't put me on ignore (Yet!)

And miss your deathless prose?

Heaven forefend.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bobhemauer » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:26 pm

harrissimo wrote:
Dulouz wrote:Are you complimenting him or baiting him?

Explain the pickle wagon thing--seriously--I never heard of it.

I am insulting him. You never heard the pickle wagon thing? How about "Your mother wears army boots".

Schick, Wagstaff, Marvell (with 2 "L"s) - what a bunch of pussies.

Freedom is being put on Ignore!

Of course, Marvell hasn't put me on ignore (Yet!)

Homer: There's your giraffe, little girl.
Ralph Wiggum: I'm a boy.
Homer: That's the spirit. Never give up.
bobhemauer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:30 pm

harrissimo wrote:
Hey Schick Know any cover tunes?

Hey Mr. Jazz, know any cover tunes? I could swear I heard you singing a New Recruits song once at the Corral Room.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:25 pm

SCREENCRAWL ON FOXNEWS: How many people in Madison WI does it take to screw in a lightbulb? None, lightbulbs are banned.
Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Scooterboy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:56 am

Hey, I'm all for it. I just screwed in a huge ass "compact fluorescent" thing into the light bulb socket in my garage. Replaced the dull 60 watt incandescent bulb with this thing. Draws 65 watts, but puts out lumens equal to a 300 watt bulb. Super bright!
Scooterboy

Postby Pogoagogo » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:53 am

Go figure. I consider myself a progressive, yet I can't stand CFL lights either. There's just something about them that irritate me. I mean, I'm all for energy star appliances and will spend more money for those. I just can't grow accustomed to the CFL's. I have them in the fixtures outside, and in the basement.

I'm holding out for LED light bulbs. THough I do LOVE the blue CFL's. Kinda like neon. I have those in my outside fixtures in the back yard.
Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Energy Efficient Incandescants

Postby Pogoagogo » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:56 am

So, anybody see these? This looks promising.

GE comes up with incandescants that use CFL-like energy.

http://blog.tmcnet.com/beyond-voip/gree ... -bulbs.asp
Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:13 am

Scooterboy wrote:Hey, I'm all for it. I just screwed in a huge ass "compact fluorescent" thing into the light bulb socket in my garage. Replaced the dull 60 watt incandescent bulb with this thing. Draws 65 watts, but puts out lumens equal to a 300 watt bulb. Super bright!

I am not sure replacing a low-watt incandescent with a higher-watt CF is quite what conservationists have in mind.

I replaced 60W incandescent with 100W CF and that is more than bright enough and less than half the power.
Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:15 am

Pogoagogo wrote:Go figure. I consider myself a progressive, yet I can't stand CFL lights either. There's just something about them that irritate me. I mean, I'm all for energy star appliances and will spend more money for those. I just can't grow accustomed to the CFL's. I have them in the fixtures outside, and in the basement.

I'm holding out for LED light bulbs. THough I do LOVE the blue CFL's. Kinda like neon. I have those in my outside fixtures in the back yard.

The LED light bulbs could be made to give a multi-spectrum light similar to incandescent.

Hopefully, they will be on the market soon so that I can replace those few incandescents I have left.
Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:17 am

It makes sense that a "working stiff" would vote for Deadman. Maybe it should be his new campaign slogan.

I do agree that the city sometimes gets a little overzealous with their rules. Just as long as they don't outlaw farting in public.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Scooterboy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:08 am

Mister_A_In_Madison wrote:
Scooterboy wrote:Hey, I'm all for it. I just screwed in a huge ass "compact fluorescent" thing into the light bulb socket in my garage. Replaced the dull 60 watt incandescent bulb with this thing. Draws 65 watts, but puts out lumens equal to a 300 watt bulb. Super bright!

I am not sure replacing a low-watt incandescent with a higher-watt CF is quite what conservationists have in mind.

I replaced 60W incandescent with 100W CF and that is more than bright enough and less than half the power.

I probably should have mentioned that the garage is a workspace where I was using a 500 watt halogen work lamp. I don't need that anymore as the one 65 watt CF gives all the light I need.
Scooterboy

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:58 pm

Scooterboy wrote:
Mister_A_In_Madison wrote:

I probably should have mentioned that the garage is a workspace where I was using a 500 watt halogen work lamp. I don't need that anymore as the one 65 watt CF gives all the light I need.

Ah, thanks for the enlightenment!

That reminds me that the floods in my basement work area (which I obviously use a lot :roll:) are still incandescent. I will have to change those.
Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mike S. » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:54 pm

The GE high efficiency incandescent bulb sounds like a very interesting option, but will it be legal under the proposed ordinance?

As for compact fluorescents, they may be more efficient, but they have some downsides:

Ugly color spectrum (sorry, they are not dead ringers for real light bulbs)

60-Hz flickering (I don't know... maybe I'm the only one who has spent a day at work writing on the computer, and come home and shut my eyes to a 60-Hz afterimage - but it is creepy, and I think the constancy of incandescents is a restful relief)

Noise (varies, but it could be bad, especially if the fixtures are installed per ordinance and maintained only as legally required)

Mercury pollution (will ANYONE really pay a fee to dispose of them, when the whole city is full of open dumpsters???)

I should also point out that Wisconsin, unlike California and Australia, is cold most of the time. Note that the "inefficiency" of incandescent bulbs is that most of the energy goes directly to heat. Basically, they are electric heaters that glow a little. Electric heat is expensive and inefficient, sure, but it is not the same as purely wasting the energy.

Considering all of these factors, I think that a mandatory ordinance is at best premature. The mercury factor could be especially bad because forcing non-environmentalist sleazy landlords to install large numbers of fluorescents sounds like it should lead to a LOT of illegal disposals, and God knows where the stuff could end up.
Mike S.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:46 pm

Mike S. wrote:60-Hz flickering (I don't know... maybe I'm the only one who has spent a day at work writing on the computer, and come home and shut my eyes to a 60-Hz afterimage - but it is creepy, and I think the constancy of incandescents is a restful relief)

60Hz refresh rates on computers drives me up a wall - that's the first thing I change if I sit down at a new computer. That said, for some reason, the flicker from fluorescent bulbs doesn't bother me.

I like the "instant on" aspect of incandescents, though.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government