MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, November 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Dog food - poop ratio

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Dog food - poop ratio

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:43 pm

Does anybody have a recommendation for a dog food that produces less poop? I don't feed them cheap-ass food either. They eat nutro max. Nutro sells the "natural" version that is supposed to produce less waste but I tried it once and it didn't seem to change, except the dogs didn't like it as much. I swear to god they poop 20-30% more than they eat. HOW! It is maddening.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3633
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:35 am

Postby TAsunder » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:28 am

I don't know if this is true for dogs, but my cats did much better when I switched to a canned product. Way more urine and less #2 action, which is ideal. Have you tried some of the other natural brands at mounds or madcat?
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4783
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:21 pm
Location: Near East Side, Madison

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:17 am

(FUCK! My browser bailed and I lost everything I had typed)

The ingredients matter. Nutro, for example, makes maybe one passable (ahem) recipe, and the rest is junk food for dogs.

Avoid grains at the top of the ingredient list. Choose foods that list meat meals at the top, as opposed to "whole animal" meats (here's a good explanation...make sure it actually specifies the animal, too). Choose foods that include multiple protein sources if possible.

Good foods (in no particular order): Wellness, Dick van Patten's Natural Choice, Merrick, Fromm's, Canidae, Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul

Not the greatest (edited because I really shouldn't say "BAD") foods: Nutro (most of 'em), Pedigree, Purina, Science Diet, Iams, Eukanuba, damn near any store brand (although Mounds was pretty good, if I remember correctly)

There's an e-mail that makes the rounds occasionally, that has some good generalities, but breaks down on specifics sometimes. Diamond foods, for example, killed a number of dogs a few years ago due to a mold toxin, but it rates highly based on the preceding link. So RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH.

Ultimately, ask your vet. Then ask another vet. Tell them what you want from your dog's food, and if they're good vets, they'll steer you well. Then ask a local store clerk (Mad Cat, Mounds). Don't ask at a chain, because they'll tell you whatever their sponsors push them to say.
Last edited by TheBookPolice on Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8404
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

Postby TAsunder » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:20 am

I use Evo, which is similar to wellness and the other stuff book police mentioned.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4783
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:21 pm
Location: Near East Side, Madison

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:24 am

TAsunder wrote:I use Evo, which is similar to wellness and the other stuff book police mentioned.


Yeah that's a good one too. I forgot it. There's another one in a shiny bag, but I can't recall the name. The only issue with EVO is that it's very high protein. If you have a small dog, it's probably not a good choice for you. It's best for big dogs and very very active dogs. ADDED: And definitely not good for any dogs under 18 months.

A note on raw food plans: they can work really well for some dogs, but that's one that you should definitely have a strong commitment to, and you should probably work with your vet on crafting the proper diet.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8404
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:41 am

Wow, great info, thanks.

I just bought a new bag of nutro, dammit.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3633
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:35 am

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:45 am

narco - Don't worry, it's not the worst food in the world. Some dogs do just fine on a medium grade of food, just like some cars don't need premium gas. If your dog is healthy, then bonzer.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8404
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

Postby LargeMarge » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:12 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Ultimately, ask your vet. Then ask another vet. Tell them what you want from your dog's food, and if they're good vets, they'll steer you well. Then ask a local store clerk (Mad Cat, Mounds). Don't ask at a chain, because they'll tell you whatever their sponsors push them to say.


Many vets don't know much about nutrition. Many times the only information they have had is a seminar in vet school that Science Diet sponsored. I agree with everything else you said. The only names I would add to your good list is Solid Gold and Drs. Foster and Smith store brand. Whole Dog Journal runs an issue every February on dog food.

My little girl has been on Canidae for several years. I chose it based on the research I did and the fact it was readily available at the time. Good dog food is much easier to find nowadays.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:57 pm
Location: Madison-on the Isthmus

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:22 am

LargeMarge wrote:Many vets don't know much about nutrition. Many times the only information they have had is a seminar in vet school that Science Diet sponsored. I agree with everything else you said. The only names I would add to your good list is Solid Gold and Drs. Foster and Smith store brand. Whole Dog Journal runs an issue every February on dog food.


Re: vets, yeah that's a fair point. I know my vet is extremely capable, and I'd trust him with a question like this, but not all vets are the same.

Re: Solid Gold, that would be the other "shiny bagged" food I couldn't think of before!
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8404
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

Postby TAsunder » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:46 pm

If price were no object, I'd probably feed merrick exclusively. But that stuff is too expensive as a main staple for me. 75% of the cost for 25% of the volume compared to a 13oz evo/wellness/anything. I can't imagine any dog bigger than 15 lbs being fed merrick, unless the person were really wealthy.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4783
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:21 pm
Location: Near East Side, Madison

Postby curiouslystrong » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:38 pm

People's experience with Royal Canin? We picked it up for our pup as it came recommended from some dog lover friends.
curiouslystrong
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 474
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2002 2:02 pm
Location: Madison, Wisconsin

Postby jjoyce » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:18 pm

The dog at our house is on a raw food diet, which really minimizes the waste. I'm always disgusted when we dog-sit because of the loads we have to pick up compared to what a raw food diet yields.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 12168
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Postby TAsunder » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:43 pm

Is it prescription royal canin or just normal?

jjoyce, do you use pre-packaged raw or do you make it yourself? I was amazed at how many local places sold the nature's variety prairie frozen raw medallions. Madcat has them tucked away in the back along with one or two other frozen brands.

I couldn't figure out how to deal with it. My cats prefer the food to be warmed, but I always had an inexact amount of warmth to it unless I microwaved it, which defeatst he purpose and could potentially be dangerous since it might eliminate the necessary taurine. Plus it didn't go down the disposal too nicely due to gristle.

I briefly considered making it at home but then I remembered I'm usually too lazy to even microwave something for myself most days.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4783
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:21 pm
Location: Near East Side, Madison

Postby supaunknown » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:13 pm

Eh, I'm bored.

My wife & I are friends with a couple that has two dogs (first-time owners). They've lovingly proclaimed that they consider as them members of the family (they don't have kids) and not just pets. Last year, we invited the couple up to our cottage, however, we did not extend the invitation to their dogs. I should add that this was a partying type of weekend and other couples' children weren't invited either. They pressed us for our reasoning behind not inviting their dogs. We told them it was a matter of safety, liability, and also our opinion that everything then "revolves around the dogs". No, they like hearing that last part. It was as if we told someone that their spoiled, attention-demanding kid wasn't welcome. Their rarely leashed dogs are real sweethearts but they can be kinda barky, kissy, jumpy ... ya know, dogs. Well, long story short is the couple declined our invite specifically because we didn't want their dogs along (and they couldn't bear to put them in a kennel). Hey, I grew up with dogs. I've got some Dog Whisperer in me. Truly, my wife & I LOVE doogies, but this couple made us feel like we were total haters for not wanting theirs around that weekend. It's kinda become a weird rift since then. We've talked to 'em since and learned that their idea of canine obedience is vastly different from ours.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5577
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:22 pm

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:16 pm

supaunknown wrote:Eh, I'm bored.

My wife & I are friends with a couple that has two dogs (first-time owners). They've lovingly proclaimed that they consider as them members of the family (they don't have kids) and not just pets. Last year, we invited the couple up to our cottage, however, we did not extend the invitation to their dogs. I should add that this was a partying type of weekend and other couples' children weren't invited either. They pressed us for our reasoning behind not inviting their dogs. We told them it was a matter of safety, liability, and also our opinion that everything then "revolves around the dogs". No, they like hearing that last part. It was as if we told someone that their spoiled, attention-demanding kid wasn't welcome. Their rarely leashed dogs are real sweethearts but they can be kinda barky, kissy, jumpy ... ya know, dogs. Well, long story short is the couple declined our invite specifically because we didn't want their dogs along (and they couldn't bear to put them in a kennel). Hey, I grew up with dogs. I've got some Dog Whisperer in me. Truly, my wife & I LOVE doogies, but this couple made us feel like we were total haters for not wanting theirs around that weekend. It's kinda become a weird rift since then. We've talked to 'em since and learned that their idea of canine obedience is vastly different from ours.


Fuck 'em! Good doggie kennels can be a blast for the dogs. And who turns down a party weekend?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8404
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

Next

Return to Catch All

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar