MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

Bats are cool.

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Bats are cool.

Postby Marvell » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:53 pm

I've been in a serious late-winter funk lately. So today when I got home I went for a nature walk through the Yahara River corridor.

I peeped a pair of cardinals along the railroad tracks, just before jumping off on Merry Street.

And later, standing on the bridge on Rutledge Street, I witnessed some red hot muskrat-on-fish action. Marlon Perkins would have plotzed!

But my main boost came from the cool little bats whipping around the tops of the Yahara Park oaks - including these ones that are just little shavers, baby bats making their first swoops.

I dug it. I say, 'Swoop on, baby bats.'
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supereightsnate » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:12 am

Last time I saw a bat it was in YOUR HOUSE, buzzin me and the C. We had to defend ourselves with pillows and girlish screams. I think you were at the bar.
supereightsnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:45 am

supereightsnate wrote:Last time I saw a bat it was in YOUR HOUSE, buzzin me and the C. We had to defend ourselves with pillows and girlish screams. I think you were at the bar.

Naturally I was.

You think I wanted to mess with the bat?
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:50 am

Lat bat I came into contact with was in the attic where Jeremy Jacobson (The Lone Organist), Dan Bitney and I lived together on Baldwin (Yes, Dan and I were lovers and he was my booty froot) but the goddam flying rat wasa cuter than hell until we all had to get rabies shots in our stomachs.
Okay, no shots.
We let the thing go free.
But I found a black tuxedo shirt.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:15 pm

Rabies shots are no longer given in the gut. So, feel free to play with the bats!
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby flipmode » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:29 pm

Anyone heard about the plan during WWII to create an incendiary bat bomb? Just saw it on the History channel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat_bomb

I was thinking bats already freak people out, but throw some napalm into the mix and you tap into a whole new set of phobias. Would that be arson-chiroptophobia?
flipmode

Postby Violet_Skye » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:21 pm

Last bats I experienced were at Devils Lake at dusk in the woods last fall. Holy crap!! We covered our heads with our coats and hightailed it out of there with a quickness.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:12 pm

Ya know, if you run, you make it a lot harder for them to avoid hitting you. Which is their preference ... believe me ...

I've often thought I should run a 24-7 service for bat removal, with a hefty service charge for calls occurring after midnight. I've never met a bat I couldn't dispatch relatively quickly and humanely.

The trick is not to be a HUUUGE fuckin' pussy about it.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:32 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:The trick is not to be a HUUUGE fuckin' pussy about it.

True, but somehow I ended up with a towel on my head, a broom in one hand, the business end of a shop vac in the other while crawling on my belly across the living room floor.

In the end, the solution was to open a window and sit on the couch and watch pulp fiction while he eventually flew out the window on his own schedule.
spanky
Forum God/Goddess

re: bats are cool

Postby lifelongmadison » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:14 pm

Back in the day when the cop cars had the cherries and sirens on the roof of their aptly named 'diplomats' that they drove, we gathered at vilas beach for sun worship and bikini watching. As the sun set and the mommies left, our attentions turned to the cars cruisin', their music blasting and snappin the botttle caps from our cold miller shorties into the air watching the bats go after em like dive bombers...
lifelongmadison
Forum Addict

Postby equuspower » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:48 am

That bat that was spotted a couple of days ago must have been fooled by the warmish weather. It's too cold for bugs normally, so one doesn't see too many bats around when it's still freezing at night and there's snow on the ground. :wink:
equuspower
Forum Addict

Postby Violet_Skye » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:55 am

My daughter had a bat lodged between her window and her screen a few months back. One of the many delights of living on the 'res in SD.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby equuspower » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:49 am

I had that happen a couple of years ago here in Madison. I felt pretty bad about it since I had caused the problem by opening the window, not noticing the bat until it was too late. :(
equuspower
Forum Addict

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:25 pm

I noticed bats like to lodge at the Isthmus building. I've seen them hug the building, hiding their faces in the cracks, to shield from light, I'm guessing.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe