MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
shriners
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

HDTV

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:09 pm

I opted for the Toshiba 62" HM196 (without stand).

Selling points for me:

Pricetag under $2000
Native 1080p resolution
More than one HDMI
Picture outside of Picture (can show 2 channels next to each other - requires 2 separate sources - like HD OTA and HD Cable)

I definitely, DEFINITELY do not regret it.

I agree that standard def looks a little better on my old Trinitron CRT, but I don't care. Nothing compares to HD, and it's worth taking a hit on the daily show.

I will never buy a non-HD TV again.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Slick Willy » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:43 pm

TAsunder wrote:Forget about OLED TVs, let's just get the oled keyboard out first. That thing is virtually vaporware. I'm not convinced we can get an OLED tv until the lame keyboard is done. Although my Tivo does have an OLED display on the front of it... maybe we're getting close.
They're coming!ImageImageImageImageImageSamsung SDI and Sony will release their first OLED HDTV sets by early next year.
Click on the images for full size.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby TAsunder » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:29 am

The OLED keyboard has been "late this year" for a few years now. I'll believe it when I see it!
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nickled&dimed » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:48 pm

i was gifted with an hdtv at christmas. but it's a bummer. First of all, i have to lay out big money to my dish tv service, new box, additional monthly fees, installation. I have recently had to shoulder additional health care costs, so i can't even think about it. I've been watching craigslist for an hdtv antenna so i can at least watch my local hdtv channels- pbs, for instance, but it's been difficult to find. I haven't bought a badly needed dvd player, because it would be dumb to buy a regular one, when i should get an hd one. so i just go in the guest room and watch the old thick sony wega- the only thing that happens on the hd is the wii.
nickled&dimed
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:34 am

Where do you live? I am able to get all the locals clearly with just a $20 indoor antenna.

It would be dumb to wait to buy an HD player, since a decent dvd player is $50 or less, and an HD player is $400 (if you mean HD-DVD) or $600+ (if you mean blu-ray).
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:57 am

yeah, what he said.

I work with a couple of the locals head engineers and they've said that a cheap (under $50) antenna will be fine. I know that when you are covering your own healt care $50 is alot of money, but I wanted to reiterate that you don't have to spend alot.

Whatever you do, do not let someone at Best Buy or Rat Shack sell you an "amplifier" that sits between your antenna and hdtv. You don't need them, and it just introduces more noise to your signal.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:17 am

TAsunder wrote:The OLED keyboard has been "late this year" for a few years now. I'll believe it when I see it!

Look!

At $1200 for a keyboard, I seriously doubt this is going to make HDTVs any cheaper.

Better contrast, yes. Better color, maybe. Cheaper, not anytime soon.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:50 am

Heh, I guess it's not surprising, since the 3 key one was $150.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:39 pm

At least it's finally shipping.

Looks like the big version is actually $1500 and not shipping till December.

This guy who designed it seems like a tool imo. Nobody else plasters their name all over their hardware like that.

If OLEDs are such great technology for LCDs, then I can't see how they should cost so much for a keyboard like this.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:11 pm

Just think of all the useful applications for a keyboard with little screens on it. OK, I can't really think of a lot, except the usual adult entertainment type stuff.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Slick Willy » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:30 pm

I'm not all that excited about OLED technology either, but it looks like it's coming regardless. My concern has to be the limited lifetime, which is a problem with any organic component. With OLED's, the organic compounds WILL have a limited lifetime and there hasn't been a display built any larger than 27" yet, so the technology just isn't ready for mass marketing.

What I'm really looking forward to hitting the market here in the States are laser TV's. Laser TV's promise the most color, fastest picture rate, and best longevity without fading like Plasma. Novalux is going to be making the production of laser TV's more cost feasible.

[URL=http://www.novalux.com/company/press.php?release=17]NOVALUX WINS â??BEST BUZZâ?Â
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby TAsunder » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:47 pm

Speaking of HDTV, did the badger game on cbs look like garbage for everyone or just me? Any motion at all either by the camera or by people on screen seemed to cause massive pixelation. Is that a function of the equipment they use and/or a satellite feed? Boy did it look awful.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:55 am

Big TV = Big Electric Bill

Average Television Power Consumption Rate

Plasma: 328 watts
Rear-projection: 208 watts
LCD: 193 watts
CRT: 146 watts

According the National Research Defense Council, by 2009, when half of all new TV sales are expected to be extended- or high-definition digital sets with big screens, TV energy use will reach about 70 billion kilowatt-hours per year nationwide â€â€
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:12 am

[quote="MadMind"]Big TV = Big Electric Bill

Average Television Power Consumption Rate

Plasma: 328 watts
Rear-projection: 208 watts
LCD: 193 watts
CRT: 146 watts

According the National Research Defense Council, by 2009, when half of all new TV sales are expected to be extended- or high-definition digital sets with big screens, TV energy use will reach about 70 billion kilowatt-hours per year nationwide â€â€
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Slick Willy » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:20 am

Interesting article since most people buying big screens probably don't think about how much their TV is raising their electric bill, not to mention its effect on the environment. They contradicted themselves, though. They said that the numbers given for average energy consumption were comparing TVs with different technologies that were all the same size. Then they showed that rear-projection sets used more watts than LCD and CRT, but earlier in the article it said that rear-projection was the most energy efficient per square inch, which means they WERE NOT comparing TVs of the same size. Plus, CRTs aren't even made as big as rear-projections. So what size TV's are they talking about: 40", 50"? They mentioned that one of the plasma screens they looked at was 42", but what about the rest? Also, some TV's have built in speakers. Is that being taken into consideration when talking about power usage, because it shouldn't be? The other thing that made me raise an eyebrow was that LCDs supposedly used more power than CRTs, and that simply isn't true. LCD technology is far more efficient than CRT, which was another reason why I questioned whether they were comparing different size screens.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games