MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, January 26, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 10.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

The Descent

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Postby MadMind » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:41 pm

pjbogart wrote:For those who enjoyed "The Descent" and haven't seen "Dog Soldiers," I recommend that one, too. More or less an update of "The Howling," it's a B-horror keeper.

Eh, I picked up Dog Soldiers from the library.
The acting was actually decent, but everything else wasn't. One of the items of highest importance in a werewolf movie is the look & design of the werewolves themselves. These werewolves heads were literally the heads of unaltered wolves, and low budget = no transformation sequences. It still amazes me that after all these years there hasn't been any non-CG transformations that trump 'An American Werewolf In London'.
I liked how their (metal) jeep got ripped to shreds while they were taking shelter inside the cabin, yet the werewolves couldn't get through a wooden door if it were locked. And lets not forget the soldier who fist-fights a werewolf (and almost wins!).
And another thing, Dog Soldiers wasn't at all scary, and theres no real mystery to solve. It was like a 'Night of the living dead' exercise with werewolves. Not impressed.

Body of a human, head of a wolf.
Put 'em up wolfie!
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Movies