MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 21.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Ideas to get to the Showcase Showdown?!!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Ideas to get to the Showcase Showdown?!!

Postby The Center Square » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:43 am

Ok, with Bob Barkers impending retirement from The Price is Right, there's some folks hitting the show as audience members and potential contestants soon soon soon. We were brainstorming ideas for outfits to get people out of their audience seating and up behind the podium last night, and have a few good ideas, but hell, these people are going to be representing good ol' Madison in the last throes of Game Show History! What would YOU suggest these screaming Madisonians adorn themselves with to 'Come on Down!"?

Sample Ideas (that didn't get the kibosh after laughing hysterically):

1. A shirt made out of 96 1-inch buttons that as a collective whole make a pic of Mr. Barkers face. (ala later Chuck Close crap)
2. Just bringing a marker and writing the same thing on your Tee/Sweatshirt that the 'group' of Seniors around you are wearing. Group representation seems to up the odds of getting picked, as our informal survey has resulted. Plus, it'd piss off that old lady that's going to inevitably undercut you with the "I'll Bid $1, Bob." FU .
3. The giant foam cowboy hat is always a winner - and crams nicely into carryon luggage and is great for exploding open during luggage searches.

Folks around here are pretty creative; ideas to get to the Showcase Showdown?!!
The Center Square
Forum Addict

Location: Above Phyllis Diller & next to Waylan Flowers & Madame

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:56 am

Sorry, but none of your ideas seem likely to increase your chances of being selected for contestanthood as outlined here.
Mainly, they're looking for enthusiasm. They want jolly, emotionally expressive contestants who will get genuinely excited when they win (or lose). As a result, they tend to prefer female contestants over men (who often pretend to act excited while being interviewed, but who later sober up when they realize that their boss may be watching them on TV). If you watch the show, you may notice that they also seem to favor pretty young girls, comically plump individuals, college students, and men in uniform.

Your tactics seem better suited to Let's Make A Deal ...
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby The Center Square » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:08 am

Oh, I'M not going!
Thus my living vicariously through 'dress up' and fun angles.

That's the tow the line statement they gotta say you posted!
Keeps the gun-toting "Rainbow Man" types from getting past security.

and putting a little "Let's Make a Deal" into anything is a good injection!

Less research, makes more fun in alot of cases!

It's Friday, run with it!
The Center Square
Forum Addict

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:14 am

I'm confused.
Were you asking for advice or not?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby The Center Square » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:33 am

Oh, no intention to offend here.
I sent the this thread link to the folks goin' and hell, it's a vacation.
Thanks for looking that up, but I think they were looking for something a little bit unique in garb, visual amenities, etc.. Enthusiasm and UW sweatshirts aren't really on the list. Remember, every single person that got tix online for the show read that same page! What ELSE might make them pay massive taxes on their NEW CAR they won, or keep the cameramen on their toes to not even get them in a crowd shot?! as per the Producers last minute instructions.
The Center Square
Forum Addict

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:43 am

The Center Square wrote:That's the tow the line statement they gotta say you posted!

The Center Square wrote:Remember, every single person that got tix online for the show read that same page!

You seem to be under the impression that my link was somehow "official", but it's not affiliated with The Price Is Right in any way (which is why the quote I posted refers to the producers as "they", not "we.") It is a website that gives advice on how to become a contestant on various game shows. Sure thought that's the info you wanted, but apparently you just want people to suggest stupid costume ideas, so here ya go.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby The Center Square » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:46 am

Wow, mister, you could suck the fun out of playing the tambourine if you wanted.

Either way, Thanks for playing!
The Center Square
Forum Addict

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:35 pm

The Center Square wrote:Wow, mister, you could suck the fun out of playing the tambourine if you wanted.
Hmmmm ... if this thread topic is so much fun, where the hell is everybody?

I mean, I'm real sorry if your entire premise was flawed but why shoot the messenger?

Anyway, CS, I do hereby promise that in the future, I will abstain from offering you assistance when you (seemingly) ask for it. 'Cuz being told that your helpful advice is "no fun" sure is a bummer. Thanks for ruining my day. :(
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:41 pm

Woah, I guess I wandered into this thread my mistake. See ya.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby The Center Square » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:59 pm

Hey, relax there Wagstaff...

I'm not blowing downtime here to ruin people's days or bum anyone out.
Shit, I'd outright apologize no prob if I actually did bum you out in anyway. That's not my thing.
Don't get in the habit of taking anything too literally from any posts at times on this here forum. At least not from me. I thanked you for looking that up. The folks that are going'll prolly click that link. The dP here now is a bit of a giant echo chamber of times past, and I thought I'd post something a bit stupid/different that folks could brainstorm on while they do some clockwatching on a Fri - and give myself a little side entertainment while I do the same.
As for 'hit counting' folks here, I gotta digress, I learned a LONG time ago, that shit that entertains me; isn't usually what flips other people's triggers. They do cross paths sometimes though. You never know...

So, turn that emoticon upside down and look for a "'Wagstaff thought this was stupid" hat on a vaguely odd wig (that gets by the producers) or something on the tube in the near future!
The Center Square
Forum Addict

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:23 pm

The Center Square wrote:turn that emoticon upside down
Done and done.
:wink:
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:42 pm

Not-so-helpful Hints from Someone Whos's Never Been There

1) Mock Bob.

2) Yell, "Jer-ry! Jer-ry! Jer-ry!"

3) In this order: Puke. Fart. Cry.

4) Give the announcer a hummer.

5) Be enormously fat.

6) Tell them your name is Al Kayda.

7) Start loudly quoting Happy Gilmore.

8) Punch the old lady next to you.

9) Wear oversized earrings made from the severed scrotes of spayed & neutered pets.

10) Be yourself.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Hank_Venison » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:55 am

supaunknown wrote:9) Wear oversized earrings made from the severed scrotes of spayed & neutered pets.

Only NEUTERED pets would have severed "scrotes".
(SPAYING refers to females.)
Hank_Venison
Forum Addict

Postby Oprah » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:39 pm

Sorry to rain on your parade, but Bob Barker is dead. CBS has been airing pre-recorded shows (they tape 3-4 months in advance) and re-runs since his death in November.
Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cattyr » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:36 am

cattyr
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All