MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

A dollar tip per drink is unreasonable

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Postby cattyr » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:16 am

narcoleptish wrote:As a bartender I never gave back five 1's without being asked.

I never do either, but in an upscale restaurant bar it's probably not out of place. I agree that to me it seems presumptuous in a more casual setting.
cattyr
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Hank_Venison » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:09 am

narcoleptish wrote:As a bartender I never gave back five 1's without being asked. I was derided by other bartenders and customers alike, but it was just a little too presumptuous for me.

I used to feel the same way. Then I got over it. Once I started giving back ones in the change, my tips improved immensely. I never looked back.
Hank_Venison
Forum Addict

Re: Barkeep tips equal out

Postby lysander » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:57 pm

lifelongmadison wrote:...When I was behind the bar sure, paper meant more attention... it meant you were drunk, or had a nice fuck me smile... either way, you had my attention.

Are you saying that people with fuck me smiles tipped more? Or that you tipped more to people with them? I'm not clear.

lifelongmadison wrote:...A nicer tip(which was not always money, a decent person could make your day by just being human) would get a nod and and a 'quick as I can' wink, but for me, it was mostly first come, first served. I was never really swayed by large tips, as they usually weren't impressing me, just who they were with.

This is another perspective I have to question. Are you saying that if you had to choose between a really good tipper, two ok tippers, and two people who didn't tip at all, you'd really be concerned with who got there first and treat them all equal? I mean, that's noble of you and all, but I kind of figured that most bartenders would rather take care of the people who took care of them, and then get drinks for the shitty tippers when they had the free time. That way, the shitty tippers might leave, making more room for the good tippers. But hey, to each his own.

lifelongmadison wrote:...Obviously, a single 'keep gets more or less depending on if you have to toss pretzles, or worse, coins to get attention when your glass is empty ( btw, it seems that the barkeeps of the fairer sex need to be rousted from the tv or paper, IMO).

Wow, are we in kindergarten? Throwing crap at people (well, unless you're at some latrine like Wiggie's) is, well, not cool. That's kind of a red flag for 'Hey, I need to be kicked out soon'. I've never seen that kind of bs work positively in any customer/employee interaction.

lifelongmadison wrote:It's a fact that tipping has more to do with how you are GREETED when you sit down, than the tip you give during the night.

Huh? Who's been telling you this?
lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Darthcrank » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:02 pm

Fat.The.Gangster wrote:
white_rabbit wrote: DUDE! You can't be serious. The bartender is the keeper of the booze.

And more often than not, bartenders know it and imagine it bestows upon them magical powers . . . magical powers that necessitate a one dollar tip per act. I would imagine that if a bar eliminated tipping, more people would patronize the establishment, in turn creating a higher return with which to pay a living wage to their employees. It's a win-win.

Oftentimes my bartenders wave their arms in the air and from time to time bestow upon me the magic of a free drink! (Which I happily tipthem for as well). It doesn't usually cost the bar much, but it cements my loyalty to the tender's charms, which keeps them well paid, and usually means I will continue to return to that establishment to spend more.

It is a win-win situation all around.
Darthcrank
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Darthcrank » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:07 pm

Hank_Venison wrote:
narcoleptish wrote:As a bartender I never gave back five 1's without being asked. I was derided by other bartenders and customers alike, but it was just a little too presumptuous for me.

I used to feel the same way. Then I got over it. Once I started giving back ones in the change, my tips improved immensely. I never looked back.

I take the "large bill change" as a sign the bartender is a noob, doesn't want my business, or is simply a dumbass. It frustrates me to be a customer put in a position of either being *extremely* generous with the tip,or a total cheapskate.
Darthcrank
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bailey » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:27 am

Take it from someone who used to bartend. When it's busy, know what you want before walking up to the bar, spend the extra $5 a night to tip well ($1 a drink) and you won't wait too long the next time. We remember the good ones.
Bailey

Postby fennel » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:59 pm

Bailey wrote:Take it from someone who used to bartend. When it's busy, know what you want before walking up to the bar, spend the extra $5 a night to tip well ($1 a drink) and you won't wait too long the next time. We remember the good ones.

Yes, but the professionals -- the true professionals -- don't remember. Or rather, they purge it from their memory, for practical purposes, because they are professional. They are always prompt, they are always responsive and courteous. They do their job as best they can, schmucks be damned, and they will never descend to petty tit-for-tat calculations. A professional acknowleges she or he always has more to learn and so always considers whether obnoxious customer X was completely out of line, or just mostly, and may have had a valid point about some aspect of the service that was wanting.

You may be justified in thinking that X would better serve humanity by having his head impaled on a pike, but if you learned something from him that will help you better serve your customers -- yo, he done you good, and he may help you move to a better job where it's unlikely you will see his ilk (no guarantees).

But, Honey, if you only treat established good-tippers well, you just a who'! Not everyone understands what your job involves. Some never will. But if you comport yourself like a street-corner crack dealer, you've no right to expect much.

This is the way we learn in the U.S. We don't have three-year apprenticeships to become a waiter or bartender, so you have to keep your eyes open and learn as you go. What herb is the source of the primary flavor in Benedictine? Where is it grown? What is the plant from which Mezcal is made? What's the difference between a Shiraz and a Syrah? Why does an Islay taste different from a Highland? What's a shell of beer? What's the difference between "up" and "neat"? What white is appropriate for a Kir? Where did the "Real Ale" movement begin?

Where are the restrooms?

And, inevitably, "May I take you home tonight?"
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: A dollar tip per drink is unreasonable

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:59 pm

This probably deserves a bump.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Detritus » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:59 pm

A dollar per tip per drink is not unreasonable to me. But eight bucks for a glass of merlot--now that's unreasonable.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:05 pm

Well, your dollar in 2007 is worth $1.12 today, so you're getting off easy when tipping in inflated 2013 dollars.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:06 pm

Detritus wrote:A dollar per tip per drink is not unreasonable to me. But eight bucks for a glass of merlot--now that's unreasonable.

You're paying the cost of the bottle for a glass of wine. Pretty standard, but it sucks. I'm starting to love places who have their house wine on tap systems.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails