MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, October 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 51.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

neighborhoods

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

neighborhoods

Postby adpenn4 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:44 am

Hi, my family is thinking about moving to Madison (me, my husband, and 18mo daughter). Weâ??d want to buy a house in a neighborhood with good schools, neighbors, & restaurants. We love neighborhoods with old houses with front porches, big trees, nice parks, etc. Any recommendations?
adpenn4

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:15 pm

I recommend the Vilas area. The city's profile of the Vilas neighborhood is here.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:18 pm

monroe-dudgeon. creepy name, cool 'hood.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby curiouslystrong » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:49 pm

Obviously, housing costs are a big factor. The Vilas and Monroe neighborhoods are fantastic but are of the two more expensive neighborhoods in the city. Not outrageous but probably not starter-home categories either.

I just bought a place in the Tenney-Lapham neighborhood. While more urban than Monroe and Vilas, the neighbors are friendly, the parks nearby, and Sophia's delicious.
Last edited by curiouslystrong on Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
curiouslystrong
Forum Addict

Postby Stomach » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:53 pm

Where are you coming from? Housing prices may seem either ridiculously high or an incredible bargain.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:58 pm

Anything that mentions williamson, winnebago, schenk-atwood neighborhoods will fit your criteria too. Stuff to the south of these streets can be stupid-expensive, but the north side can still be decent. But, like stomach said, maybe your coming from San Francisco and everything will seem like a steal.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:24 pm

Yeah no shit, we are living dirt cheap compared to some city's hoods.

I always get a kick out of watching those house flipping shows on the TV. I wouldn't live in half the houses some of these people buy for a half million.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby adpenn4 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:29 pm

thanks everyone! we are coming from denver so i suspect housing prices will be fairly comparable, but i need to look into it more.
adpenn4

Postby anton » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:54 am

Which schools would someone in the Vilas or Monroe hood go to? Is there any preferred Elementary / Middle / High School in the that the original poster should be aware of? Or are they all the same? (Sorry, never went to Madison schools so I don't know).
anton
Forum Addict

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:47 am

Make sure to bring plenty 'o ching for the Vilas neighborhood. You may also want to consider Shorewood and Maple Bluff if you're into old homes. Shorewood is more of the tweedy professor vibe while Maple Bluff would be the epicenter of what passes for "blue bloods" in Madison. Again, both are very expensive, especially considering the salaries in Madison. Near east side (Jennifer/Willy/Tenney/Baldwin 'hoods): extreme hippy/60s leftover/what time's the protest?/job?, what's a job?/Subaru wagon/student vibe. Generally, in these areas the homes are nicer and more expensive the closer you get to the lakes. There are also pockets of nice older homes in surrounding suburbs like Waunakee, Middleton, Oregon and Stoughton, but that's on more of a house by house basis. My point is that most Madisonians will automatically recommend the Vilas neighborhood, but there are other options.

Point number two. I'm assuming that you've secured jobs pre-move, correct? If not, you may be in for "salary shock" and not in a good way.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:14 pm

anton wrote:Which schools would someone in the Vilas or Monroe hood go to? Is there any preferred Elementary / Middle / High School in the that the original poster should be aware of? Or are they all the same? (Sorry, never went to Madison schools so I don't know).

All mentioned in my first post's link.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:30 pm

When it comes to nice houses at an affordable price, the Allied Drive area can't be beat. Friendly, also.
aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SombreroFallout » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:49 pm

Don't do it! There is NO pizza here--literally--and your children will grow up to hate you.
SombreroFallout
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe