MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Rating Madison's Mediocre Pizza

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Rating Madison's Mediocre Pizza

Postby GenieU » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:18 am

Recently real life has demanded real solutions...

Rocky Roccocco's-(The kids brought home decent report cards and wanted to be taken to R.R.'s...) A Madison favorite that I personally find doughy, as in undercooked, and a tad too sweet...still satisfying in a low brow kind of way...the kids are really after the arcade games.

Little Siezures-(Pressed for time, gotta feed the kids lunch...)How can you beat a large pizza for $5.28? Surprisingly it was quite servicable. They had slopped a bit too much sauce on it but neither the crust nor the pepperoni was disgusting...

Woodman's and J-street on a Saturday were giving away squares of Red Baron (or something similar I think) These frozen deals have GOT to be all made at the same factory that makes the Tombstones...These things are dirt cheap-but face it you get what you pay for...
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:33 am

I don't think we should mix up frozen and "pizzeria" pizza.
But:

Screw Little Caesar's. Doesn't deliver!

Screw Red Baron. Sucks in a bad way.

Try Home Run. It actually is.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:02 pm

+1 on the Home Run Inn frozen pizza. If you email them and tell them how much you love their product, they will send you $.25 coupons.
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:16 pm

Yes, Home Run-Looks good, but we are getting off track. People drive themselves nuts constantly searching the "best"-I wanna talk about mediocre cause not every dining experience can be an epithany and conversly not everything has to be a disasterous afront to the senses either...

Cinema Cafe (Stoughton) The pimply ticket-takers who made our pizza were far too generous than they should have been-resulting in a concoction that resembled a shallow lasagne more than pizza. Once it cooled and solidified it was easier to handle without the threat of napalm like cheese burns.
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:29 pm

Kwik Trip hot-case pizza. Nuclear-hot cheese with the consistency of pudding. Huge pepperoni slices. Too much sauce. Very greasy. But! Instant "gratification."
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:45 pm

the pizza they make at sams club is super tasty, and i don't think you have to be a member to buy a slice or a pie.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:00 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Kwik Trip hot-case pizza. Nuclear-hot cheese with the consistency of pudding. Huge pepperoni slices. Too much sauce. Very greasy. But! Instant "gratification."

Open Pantry has something pizza-like that comes in a little green box-I found it to be way bland and the crust crunchy with corn meal (which makes it easy to handle and prevents sticking.)

I concluded that $3.99 was better spent on a Ham, pepperoni, and provelone cheese sandwich on thick, squishy white bread!
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaronetc » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:31 pm

Schlotzky's makes a nice mediocre personal-size pizza, but on the rare occasions I go in there I'm almost always more in the mood for a turkey club.
aaronetc
Forum Addict

Postby mrak » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:34 pm

But are these pizzas authentically mediocre?
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:39 pm

aaronetc wrote:Schlotzky's makes a nice mediocre personal-size pizza, but on the rare occasions I go in there I'm almost always more in the mood for a turkey club.

So you're the one keeping that place open!

(Seriously, how does that location stay in business?)
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:46 pm

I like Red Baron. Never tried Home Run, if I'm gonna fork over $5.50 for a frozen pizza, I'll just order out for it.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:50 pm

Ya know what else is real tasty from an "Open Panties"? As my my buddy likes to call them.

A microwavable Pizza Bagel! The cheese and pepperoni are inside the crust and it comes with a little plastic cup of marinara sauce that fits right in the hole!!!!Ingenius.

"Authenticly Mediocre"? You Bet!
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:34 pm

I like to get the Tombstone plain cheese pizza, or whatever is on sale for a couple of bucks and add on my own toppings at home. Add some fresh mushrooms and sausage, a little more cheese and a dusting of parmesan and you have yourself a quick, cheap and yummy dinner.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:27 pm

white_rabbit wrote:I like to get the Tombstone plain cheese pizza, or whatever is on sale for a couple of bucks and add on my own toppings at home. Add some fresh mushrooms and sausage, a little more cheese and a dusting of parmesan and you have yourself a quick, cheap and yummy dinner.

I'm with the Rabbit. Tombstone is still pretty good even after the evil Kraft absorbed the brand. Paisan's still has the best pizza in Madison though.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:25 pm

Jazzing up a frozen pizza is a time honored tradition and it fits-You know good and well that no matter how elegantly its been dressed up you can't totally hide the fact that its frozen...

Ned wrote:Paisan's still has the best pizza in Madison though.

Ned, Your opinion is dully (sic) noted, but it belongs in a different thread.
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews