MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Rating Madison's Mediocre Pizza

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:40 pm

GenieU wrote:Ned, Your opinion is dully (sic) noted, but it belongs in a different thread.

I doubt you'll find anyone too surprised that Flanders failed yet another reading comprehension test ...

Anyway, when are you gonna get around to reviewing The Hut?
supa and I just tried that cheesy bites thing and it was the very definition of mediocre.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:57 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
GenieU wrote:Ned, Your opinion is dully (sic) noted, but it belongs in a different thread.

I doubt you'll find anyone too surprised that Flanders failed yet another reading comprehension test ...

Anyway, when are you gonna get around to reviewing The Hut?
supa and I just tried that cheesy bites thing and it was the very definition of mediocre.

Sorry I didn't follow all of your OCD related posting "rules" Rainman. Quick now, can ya tell me how many Andersons are in the phone book?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:07 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Sorry I didn't follow all of your OCD related posting "rules" Rainman. Quick now, can ya tell me how many Andersons are in the phone book?

Dingus, the title of the thread is Rating Madison's MEDIOCRE Pizza. What's so hard to figure out about that?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:19 pm

Striving for the most mediocre?
I've got to superhumanly start trying less harder.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:10 pm

blunt wrote:Striving for the most mediocre?
I've got to superhumanly start trying less harder.

I know. You've become disturbingly bland, blunt.

And you used to be so moderately extreme!
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cubanat » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:10 pm

Best Mediocre Pizza: Trader Joes frozen pepperoni pie

Worst pizza ever: the new vending machines that for like $5 bucks gets you a tray of chemical reacted microwaved dough/cheese/meat pellet cardboard.

Pizza Hut pan pizza is also pretty good, rather, tasty for mediocre/bad places to eat at.
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby GenieU » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:05 am

Oh yeah, the Kids (Again!) read some requisite number of Library books and were given cetificates good for a Personal Pan Pizza from none other than Pizza Slut...

The 'Hut is like cheap beer: it tastes good at first but after a little reflection it comes up lacking...the crust is rich and buttery but the whole thing is far too salty, and besides Pizza Hut is an old franchise whose glory days are probably behind it.

I won't be the least surprised when it gos the way of poor old Ponderosa...
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rezin » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:07 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
aaronetc wrote:Schlotzky's makes a nice mediocre personal-size pizza, but on the rare occasions I go in there I'm almost always more in the mood for a turkey club.

So you're the one keeping that place open!

(Seriously, how does that location stay in business?)

i absolutely love schlotzky's and would be crushed if it closed. the west side one was really close to my house and i ate there so often, but this one is not very convenient for me
rezin
Forum Addict

Postby bassbari » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:08 pm

I found three frozen brands that are not bad.
1. Borbello's made by Orv's has a nice roasted pepper on the deluxe. Medium thick crust. Sentry carries them sometimes as a special.

2. Emil's Pizza made in Watertown is my favorite. The Shamrock and the Lava Lounge serve them as well as some other bars and you can only buy them frozen at limited areas in Madison. http://www.emilsfrozenpizza.com/

3. Palermo is not bad either. This is the one that is suing Trader Joe's for copyright on the name. Hello it's a place in Italy.
State pizza firm sues Trader Joe's

A Milwaukee-based pizza maker has sued discount gourmet grocer Trader Joe's for violating its trademark with its Trader Giotto's Pizza Palermo.

Palermo Villa Inc., which makes frozen Palermo's Pizza, sued Trader Joe's for trademark infringement, unfair competition and false advertising. It claims in its suit that shoppers confuse the two brands.

Brian Berliner, an attorney for Trader Joe's, said Palermo is a city in Italy where a distinct style of pepperoni pizza is produced. Trader Joe's uses the term to describe its pizza, not identify its maker, he said.

Palermo's Pizza has asked for Trader Joe's to stop using the Palermo name and pay unspecified damages, including all profits from sales of its Trader Giotto's Pizza Palermo.
bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rezin » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:23 pm

if we're talking frozen pizzas then there's no question

5 Italian Cheese Freschetta Brick Oven pizzas are my god. you have to get one of those cooking stone things and in like 13 minutes you have heaven.
rezin
Forum Addict

Postby Chuck_Schick » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:14 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:supa and I just tried that cheesy bites thing and it was the very definition of mediocre.

Damn, dudes! Haven't y'all been kicking around long enough to know that Pizza Hut specialty pizzas routinely blow yak dick? "Mediocre" is high praise.

I'll admit, the advertising can be deceptive. I've fallen for that shit too many times. Never again.

Never!
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby auntgoodness » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:51 pm

I think the Pizza Oven is really in Monona, but I'll offer it up anyway. It's mediocre but decent for buffet pizza.

I was introduced to the Pizza Oven by a buddy who was excitedly talking about the pictures of Cheap Trick on the wall in the place and how he was going to go there, like, every day from now on and when I asked "So how's the pizza?" he said, "It's good enough."

Pizza Oven. It's good enough.

bassbari - You are right about Emil's. Way better than most frozen brands I've tried.
auntgoodness
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:58 am

The Pizza Oven is so Rock-n-Roll that its O.K. for the pizza to be an afterthought. The old Location had a huge Booming Juke box-the kind with 45s! and the walls were decorated with lables of sodas that time forgot...The Pizza was old style-cracker thin crust, cut into squares-not my favorite, but not bad either.

Theres no need to exclude anywhere thats an easy drive from Madison.

Back to bad Pizza: one of the worst has got to be the Chinese-American Buffet-utterly tasteless Sysco crap! Of course it begs the question "Whats wrong with you to put it on your plate in the first place?-its a Chinese buffet!"

P.S. The Mac and Cheese is terrible too-yellow library paste.
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rosemary » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:22 am

auntgoodness wrote:the pictures of Cheap Trick on the wall

That says it all. Gak.
Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby cattyr » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:15 am

Fair warning Rosemary - Cheap Trick can do no wrong in these parts.

And they want you to want them.
cattyr
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews