MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, December 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Car Hitch

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Car Hitch

Postby femhalo » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:45 am

I have one more stupid car question, then thats it, I promise.

I need to get a hitch installed on my car for a small uhaul trailer. Is UHaul the cheapest place to get the hitch and get it installed?

I thought there was some other place in town that did this, but now i cant remember.
femhalo
Forum Addict

Postby tibor » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:00 am

Lots of places will do this. Our mechanic put a trailer hitch on our car. Dunno what's cheapest, but you should prolly call around if you're looking for the lowest price.
tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lonesomejohnny » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:03 am

When I installed a hitch on my jeep it was $120 for the receiver,15 for the hitch, and $30 for the "Adapt-A-Ball" kit, with easily interchangeable balls, sized 1 7/8" and 2". Using a $20 torque wrench and a jack to lift it into place I was all set. I still havent wired my jeep for lights, but the chevy I used to have was easy.

I strongly recommend the "Adapt-A-Ball" thing. Changing balls is easy with it, and damn near impossible without. You never know when you'll have to tow a different trailer. (For instance, My boat trailer has a welded 1 7/8" hitch, and all of my parents' trailers are 2", so I need to change balls often.)
lonesomejohnny
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:19 am

I got one put on by ...Spring? something or other, on the other side of the beltline from Southtown. Works great, not sure how it compares pricewise to U-haul. They're in the phone book.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barreg » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:45 am

Anyone have a suggestion for places that will install a hitch if I have already purchased it?

I bought a hitch online and fell for the "30 minute self-installation" line. Well, after 4 years of WI winters, there's just enough corrosion that it would take me forever to get the hitch installed myself.

I called U-Haul, but they said that they only install hitches that are purchased through them.
barreg

Postby lonesomejohnny » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:33 am

barreg wrote:Anyone have a suggestion for places that will install a hitch if I have already purchased it?

I bought a hitch online and fell for the "30 minute self-installation" line. Well, after 4 years of WI winters, there's just enough corrosion that it would take me forever to get the hitch installed myself.

I called U-Haul, but they said that they only install hitches that are purchased through them.

Seriously, it's really easy. If corrosion is an issue, buy a bastard file and wire brush, and clear what is necessary (you'll need these tools at some point in your life, otherwise). Get one side of the hitch bolted or clamped in place using the supplied hardware, then use a jack to lift the other side in position, then bolt/clamp it in, and tighten it.

Any shop is going to charge between $50-100 an hour to do this, so make yourself proud and see it through. You can do it, and it is a good thing to be one who has custom installed an upgrade to your vehicle.

You can do it!
lonesomejohnny
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barreg » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:59 am

Seriously, it's not that easy. I already tried. It took me close to an hour just to get one bolt to start to catch and go in, and then it wasn't going in straight. At this point, I'm happy to pay someone else to do it.
barreg

Postby barreg » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:51 pm

After calling around to a few places, I found that Madison Spring will do the install for $75, so that's what I'm going with.

If it weren't for the corrosion, it would be a pretty straight forward self-install, but I'm willing to pay the $75 to save me probably a full day of frustration.
barreg

Return to Catch All