MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Cheapest car alignment place

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Cheapest car alignment place

Postby femhalo » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:27 pm

My car needs a front alignment in the worst way. The wheel has to be turned all the way to the left for it to even drive straight, and even then the tires squeal. Bad, I know.
But I am selling my car in a few weeks -- so I only need the alignment to be safe enough for me to drive it a little ways. I dont want to invest any money into this car. I just want to make it semi-safe to drive.
I dont need some majestic expensive awesome job done on this, no bells whistles or anything else.
So where is the cheapest place in town I can take my car for a front alignment and nothing else?
femhalo
Forum Addict

Re: Cheapest car alignment place

Postby Chuck_Schick » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:41 am

femhalo wrote:But I am selling my car in a few weeks -- so I only need the alignment to be safe enough for me to drive it a little ways. I dont want to invest any money into this car. I just want to make it semi-safe to drive.

I hope you're going to explain all this to the poor sucker who ends up buying this death trap.

Generally speaking, a reputable mechanic isn't going to fix anything "just enough" to make it safe for a few weeks, for all kinds of reasons (liability being the big one). And a front end is either aligned or it isn't. If you're going to pay for the mechanic's time and expertise, you may as well have him/her do the job right. That, or just trade it in as-is and be done with it altogether. Granted, you'll never get as much for it that way, but it might just be a wash by the time you see the estimate of what it will cost to make the thing sellable.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Cheapest car alignment place

Postby Toonces » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:04 pm

femhalo wrote:So where is the cheapest place in town I can take my car for a front alignment and nothing else?

farm/fleet er fleet/farm stoughton rd.
(whatever it's called)

be prepared to wait for HOURS, though.
Toonces
Forum Addict

Postby femhalo » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:45 pm

Thanks Chuck. The dealership I'm trading the car in, already is aware of some damage on it/to it from an accident. So they already know. But I want to get it safe enough for me to drive it around for another few weeks is all.

Thanks Toonces (the cat). Thats what I was looking for. $49.99
femhalo
Forum Addict

Postby Chuck_Schick » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:45 am

femhalo wrote:Thanks Chuck. The dealership I'm trading the car in, already is aware of some damage on it/to it from an accident. So they already know. But I want to get it safe enough for me to drive it around for another few weeks is all.

Gotcha. Didn't mean to imply your intent was to screw anybody.

Sounds like something you want to take care of sooner than later, for your own safety.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:58 am

femhalo wrote:Thanks Chuck. The dealership I'm trading the car in, already is aware of some damage on it/to it from an accident. So they already know. But I want to get it safe enough for me to drive it around for another few weeks is all.

Thanks Toonces (the cat). Thats what I was looking for. $49.99

I seriously would not get any work done at Farm & Fleet other than maybe fixing a flat. Yes they are likely the cheapest in town, but for good reason. And yes you will wait and wait and wait...

But I would recommend Accurate Alignment. You will not wait hours and they are very reputable among mechanics. All they do is alignments. It's been a couple years but I paid $49.99 for an alignment. Can't imagine their price going up that much.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Catch All