MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

A quick note to other drivers

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Postby lifelongmadison » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:01 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:The speed limit on Broadway is 40.

How come everyone seems to drive 35-40 on all the streets with a speed limit of 25-30 but only 30 on Broadway?

GET MOVIN'!

Get a grip Wagsy, the road is so smooooth now, its a shame to fly through it so quick. Besides, 35 is Screaming as opposed to the 5mph crawl it was before the bypass... Do you actually need to get to the Goodwill any faster? :roll:
lifelongmadison
Forum Addict

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:24 pm

lifelongmadison wrote: Do you actually need to get to the Goodwill any faster?
If I'm driving on Broadway it's because I'm at my job as a delivery driver, smart guy.

So, no - I'm not really in a hurry.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:53 pm

And one more note to bad drivers:

If you plan to tailgate, weave in and out of traffic, make a turn from the wrong lane, cut people off, speed, or run red lights... you probably shouldn't be wearing a vanity plate or commercial vehicle.

That means you, JAG MOM, driving a black Jag.

Or RVR LVR in the red pick up.

Or the municipal vehicle that couldn't wait to pass me and then get caught at the stop light.

Or the blue shuttle van from the Sheraton.

But hey, thanks for printing the phone number of your employer on the side.
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:12 pm

A guy driving a "Creative Custom Works" truck almost side-swiped me last year; my good brakes were the only thing that prevented it.

When I called the company, they said he normally drives too cautiously.

I sure as hell hope they don't tell HIM that.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:35 pm

You ARE allowed to run a red light as long as it is clear to other drivers that you are on a cell phone and engaged in what is probably a very important conversation.

I've seen this happen twice just this week.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:04 pm

Seriously: If you're trying to pass someone, you really have to drive faster than they are. Really.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Pantherboy » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:20 pm

Just before we moved last weekend, I spent a lot of time making the commute from Pardeeville (which really doesn't, in case you're wondering) on 51 and 22.

What is it about people on cell phones that they can't just stay in the lane they're in? I can't tell you how many morons I saw swerving all over the road and they're just talking on the phone. One lady was so bad we would have called the Columbia County sheriff if the number was handy. I was sure she was going to cause a severe accident, just swerving all over the shoulder while she chatted away.
Pantherboy
Forum Addict

Postby Chuck_Schick » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:27 pm

Pantherboy wrote:I spent a lot of time making the commute from Pardeeville (which really doesn't, in case you're wondering) ...

Heh.

Funny, the only person I've ever known from there was a young woman who ... well ... certainly did.

Not with me, though (a fact for which I am still thankful).
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby towanda » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:19 am

Oh...and if there's an accident, or the cops have pulled someone over, or that bulldozer in the construction zone has moved three feet from where it was yesterday, you don't have to slow to 3 MPH to have a look. Honest.
towanda
Forum Addict

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:09 am

I appreciate you stopping, before I even step off the curb into the crosswalk. However, if the cars in the second and third lane do not stop, I'm just not trusting enough to risk my life.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:32 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Seriously: If you're trying to pass someone, you really have to drive faster than they are. Really.

Fair enough. But if I have the cruise set at 71, and you're going 69, please don't speed up to 71 when I pull out to the left lane to pass. The fact that I'm passing you is not a personal challenge to your manhood. It's not personal at all. I just want to get where I'm going, honest....
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:08 pm

gargantua wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Seriously: If you're trying to pass someone, you really have to drive faster than they are. Really.

Fair enough. But if I have the cruise set at 71, and you're going 69, please don't speed up to 71 when I pull out to the left lane to pass. The fact that I'm passing you is not a personal challenge to your manhood. It's not personal at all. I just want to get where I'm going, honest....

But you do give it some gas once you're in the passing lane don't you? Please don't tell me you pass someone at a 2 mph rate.

I anticipate the other driver speeding up, it's a herd effect.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:37 pm

It depends. I certainly give it some gas if there are other drivers coming up. I don't know that the actual speed difference is only 2 mph...I just know that it's not a lot, and sometimes traffic conditions leave one sort of stuck there.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:03 pm

For the record, I'm probably the only guy on the planet who actually slows down to let the guy in the other lane pass 'cuz, y'know, then the system works.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:38 pm

I usually need to slow down after someone passes too.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All