MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 30.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

What, nobody reads anymore?

What books, zines or other pulp are you reading? What aren't you reading? What should everyone else read?

Postby Chuck_Schick » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:22 am

Me? I'm just finishing a new (to me, at least) translation of Crime and Punishment. I always try to read Dostoevsky in late winter for maximum effect.

Next up is Two Trains Running by Andrew Vachss, I think.

You?
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:24 am

I got a promotional mailing many moons ago, for a books-through-the-mail deal, like Columbia House. They offered a free trial, and included two stickers for use in response. One said Yes! Please do send me some free books, or some such nonsense. The other said, and I quote:

"No thanks. Don't read much. Hurts my brain."

That always cracked me up.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: What, nobody reads anymore?

Postby auntgoodness » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:10 am

Chuck_Schick wrote:I always try to read Dostoevsky in late winter for maximum effect.

I see. You like pain.

Chuck_Schick wrote:Next up is Two Trains Running by Andrew Vachss, I think.

You?

I'm reading Blossom by Vachss right now. Very gritty. Just the right amount of mystery and hookers.
auntgoodness
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:24 am

I'm midway through both The Essential Man-Thing and The Essential Marvel Two-In-One.

I'm also midway through that history of Stax book minicat gave me for Christmas ... oh, and I've been reading the liner notes to The Complete Motown Singles Vol. 6: 1966 which are book-length ...

So, to answer your question: no, I don't read anymore.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:06 am

Recently finished "American Fascists" by Chris Hedges.

Currently reading "The End of the World As We Know It: Scenes From A Life" by Robert Goolrick, certainly one of the most compulsively readable yet horrifyingly depressing books I have ever read.
aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:24 am

The Power Broker: Robert Moses and the Fall of New York.

A truly fascinating reporting by Robert Caro of the person most responsible for shaping and scraping of modern New York. Mosesâ?? principles (or lack thereof) defined auto-culture, interstates and suburbia throughout the country.
spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby square » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:33 am

World War Z
square
Forum Addict

Postby archie » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:48 am

Reading: dying art.
Readers: dying breed.
Readers who want to write about what they're reading at TDPF: dying at one rate or another and in the meantime, temporarily disinterested, recovering from SAD, overworking, or partially to fully inebriated or anesthetized.

I'm trying to get through The Looming Tower before the library asks for it back. I recently finished my first Anthony Burgess novel, Tremor of Intent, a very odd send-up of the Bond genre, which means anything further on that belongs in a bump to the old Spies thread, along with mention of Ian McEwan's crakerjack (and also a bit odd) novel, The Innocent.

Readers who are making a list of all the books around the house waiting to be started or finished: me. if I could only figure out how to get paid to read all this stuff.
archie

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:55 am

Since I've retired, I'm been traveling quite a bit. With long waits at airports and long flights, I need big books. Been reading a lot of Michener, as I like historical novels.

But the next book I plan to read is Hitchhiking from Vietnam: Seeking the Ox by Richard Chamberlin. Why? Because I'm in it. Find out who the real Henry Vilas is by buying it when it comes out next month. I'm in chapter 24.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: What, nobody reads anymore?

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:31 pm

archie wrote:Readers who are making a list of all the books around the house waiting to be started or finished: me. if I could only figure out how to get paid to read all this stuff.

Oh God, don't become a librarian.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:16 pm

I guess I'm the only reader around.
Maybe 8 books a month.
Vaachs isn't reading; it's Vonnegut/Brautigan with violence.
Burgess: reading.
I will continue to pointlessly add to my random reading list.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:27 pm

Oh, who am I fooling---I've read all the Burke books and love them. It's quite a skill to write so sparingly.
And the book I'm reading right now?
Don Martin's Droll Book.
Remember the cartoons in MAD with droopy feet?
Genius!
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:42 pm

I'm reading "The Best Non-Required Fiction - 2004" presently. It's not exactly heavy reading, but it's fun. (It's also suprisingly depressing.)

Upcoming books include...

Spanking The Donkey - Matt Taibbi

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - Jonathan Safran Foer (which I've had around for a bit, but was reminded that I'd heard it was good by some posts on this forum)

Fragile Things - Neil Gaiman

I love the books.

--nt--
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DedeTate » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:50 pm

I just finished Brothel, an investigation of legal prostitution in Nevada. I also listened to a book on CD for the first time ever, The Hours - read by Michael Cunningham.
DedeTate
Forum Addict

Postby ShaneDog » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:03 pm

Recently finished Cormac McCarthy's The Road, The Kite Runner, and Children of Men (the book is totally different than the movie).

Working on Ron Chernow's biography of Alexander Hamilton, Kerouac's On The Road and Freakonomics for when I want something light.

On deck: Restart Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle. I mostly made it through the first two books a year or two ago but I don't think I got as much out of them as I could have because I read them in short spurts and that doesn't really work with books as dense as those.

Also, I'm planning on reading pretty much everything Cormac McCarthy has written over the summer because of how much I liked The Road.
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Books