MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

VW vs. Honda

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

VW vs. Honda

Postby cdhopper » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:29 am

So the family (new baby in tow, need to think about her now too) is shopping for a new car. I've had great luck with both VW and Honda as of late (Prelude, Golf, CR-V). We're looking at either a new Rabbit or a new Civic.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions, horror stories, good stories, ideal places to makeout in our new future car?
cdhopper

Postby TAsunder » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:26 pm

I'd go for a honda I guess. I had an A4 and loved it, but it was unreliable. And I hate both VW dealerships. Even though honda is also zimbrick, they are a lot less slimy than the guys I had to deal with at the VW dealership. One guy literally used the "which car are you going to drive home today?" line.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:33 pm

Consumer Reports has a service that will allow you to see exactly what a dealer is paying for a car. It's something like $15, but seems like money well spent.

Honda reliability has been much better than VW, according to CR. That was a biggie in our decision to go Japanese instead of German in our next car.

Apparently the best time to buy most cars is the end of the month in late summer/early fall. The new model year cars are arriving, dealers need to get rid of the '07s, there are often factory incentives to do so, and the end of the month means a dealer may hit their quota by selling you one more car.
tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby comte buffon » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:13 pm

Civics are probably better, but VWs have way more sex appeal. As a new parent, you're going to need it. And get a manual transmission.
comte buffon
Forum Addict

Postby massimo » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:16 pm

I absolutely LOVED my 1985 and 1992 Golfs, so I pulled the trigger and got a 2005 Jetta. I have to say, in my opinion, the new VWs don't have that certain "something" that the old VWs had. One thing they certainly don't have is decent MPG-- I don't consider 21 in town and 29 HWY to be good mileage.

I also have a lot of experience driving a 2006 Civic. Here's an interesting math problem for you:
Car #1-- 115 HP, 21 MPG city, 29 MPG HWY
Car #2-- 140 HP, 30 MPG city, 38 MPG HWY

Can you guess which is the Jetta and which is the Civic?

Personally, if I had to do it all over again, I would pass on the VW and get the Honda.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:32 pm

VW by a c*nt hair. I've owned both brands. They're both real solid cars but VWs are more fun to drive. Hondas are sized for small people which I ain't.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doddles » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:54 pm

Not on your list, I know, but I'd go for the Mazda3 myself. Roomier than the Honda, more reliable, better handling, better mileage than the Jetta.
doddles
Forum Addict

Postby ShaneDog » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:08 pm

I have a 2006 honda civic. It's roomier than you would expect. It's very fuel efficient. It is fun to drive and very reliable. Civic gets my vote :-) Oh yeah it also has a 5-star crash impact safety rating too.
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cristobal » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:53 pm

Well I've owned Rabbit, Toyota, and a Jetta. I vote VW. The Zimbrick folks are slightly skeezy though not as bad as the Toyota dealer across I90 on the east side. They told my wife something like "why don't you bring your husband to make the decision, little lady?"

Anyway what I hear about VWs is you either get a really good one or a really bad one. I got a good one. A 5-speed manual turbo Jetta with the sport suspension and it's a gas to drive.

Honda's are high quality and boring unless you want put a glass-pack muffler, neon lights, and low-profile tires on it and zoom up and down E. Wash...

cristobal
cristobal
Forum Addict

Postby Cory Schmidt » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:19 am

VW Rabbit

Pros
- nice interior
- hatchback versatility
- low base price

Cons
- Horrible mileage for a car that size. It only gets 22/30 (basically the same as a V6 Accord).
- questionable reliability
- less than stellar resale
- can get pricy once you start adding on options

Honda Civic

Pros
- excellent gas mileage. 30/40 (even higher for the hybrid model)
- Honda reliability
- high resale

Cons
- odd interior layout

I'll second the Mazda 3 recomendation. It's sporty, gets good mileage, has some very nice options available, is reliable and is reasonably priced. It will also be more fun to drive than either the Rabbit or Civic (unless the Rabbit is a GTI or the Civic is an Si - of course you could always opt for the Mazdaspeed 3)
Cory Schmidt
Forum Addict

Postby zelda » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:14 am

I had a rabbit once, a log time ago. I sure hope they are making them better now, as my car was such a lemon. The catalytic converter had to be replaced while still under warranty. The replacement didn't last long. I think they just removed it entirely. The heat shield fell off more than once. The headlights went wacko - water in the wiring? They would switch from high to low and back in rapid succession, as if I were sending frantic signals to UFOs. It wouldn't start on damp days. It stalled out whenever I drove through a puddle on the road and had to be pushed off to the side. The window handles fell off with a certain regularity. The wipers had a problem....
On the other hand, I had a civic which was trouble free for nearly 15 years. I now have another civic and am very happy with it.
zelda
Forum Addict

Postby sydgrl » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:59 am

Anyway what I hear about VWs is you either get a really good one or a really bad one.

That was our experience. I have to agree with what others have said about the Zimbrick VW dealerships. The two main reasons we dumped our our VW was questionable reliability of the car and crappy local dealers. I know 3 people who currently own VWs and they've been treated like crap by Zimbrick. I've never owned a Honda, but if it was a choice between a VW and a Honda, I would go for the Honda.
sydgrl
Forum Addict

Postby Cory Schmidt » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:32 am

sydgrl wrote:
Anyway what I hear about VWs is you either get a really good one or a really bad one.

That was our experience. I have to agree with what others have said about the Zimbrick VW dealerships. The two main reasons we dumped our our VW was questionable reliability of the car and crappy local dealers. I know 3 people who currently own VWs and they've been treated like crap by Zimbrick. I've never owned a Honda, but if it was a choice between a VW and a Honda, I would go for the Honda.

I've heard that VW dealers are arrogant and rude as a whole.

We have two Hondas and service them both at Zimbrick - we have been pleased with them.

Fish Hatch-Er-Y Road!!!!
Cory Schmidt
Forum Addict

Postby TAsunder » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:25 am

It's wild how big of a difference in service there is between the branches of zimbrick. Their infiniti and european dealers are great. BMW and Nissan good. Honda ok, and VW / VW & Acura, abysmal.

I used to consider the lexus dealer to be the worst dealership in the area. I went in once looking to test drive an ES 300. Took 20 min to get someone's attention, and then they told me they don't do test drives and people who buy lexuses know what they want. They did "offer" to let me sit in an ES 300 that had been sold. Nice of them. Not sure if they were profiling me or what, thinking I wasn't serious. I decided not to mention that I had test driven two BMWs, a mercedes, an Audi, and an Infiniti within 24 hours, and none of those guys seemed to think it unusual to test drive. I ended up buying an A4.

But I've been there a couple of times recently and they were much, much better. Plus they have Aeron chairs for customers even.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Catch All