MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

NEW GAY CLUB WITH AUTOMATED DRINKS????? EW!

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Postby Marvell » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:03 pm

Darthcrank wrote:The vet clinic right next door isn't exactly thrilled to hear about their new (potential) neighbors.

Loud thumping beats and diva shrieks aren't exactly what recovering cats and dogs need during their stay at the vet. Noise is definitely a concern.

Heh.

"The Gay Lifestyle - It's a Pet Health Issue!"

Any bets on which TV station jumps on this one first?
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:46 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:
blunt wrote:I've been here and queer thousands of years now and have only seen two drag shows and zero leather fests.

Because you don't do these things, they don't count? Every event I covered was well attended. Apparently Madisonians really do go to drag shows and leather contests.

blunt wrote:"front page story" that seemed to have been merely called in recently.

Yes, it was the method of merely calling in a story whereby I interview people and go to venues and events. I'm so lazy!

Which is why, in the years since we've been in Madison, my partner and I have seldom ventured out into the gay scene. Having come from the Bay Area, the gay scene here, by comparison, is like stepping back into the 1950's or 60's. Drag and leather shows in, say, San Francisco draw a tiny percentage of the gay population. They are considered tired, boring and very, very stereotypical by the larger majority.

I mean, whatever floats your boat. But that doesn't float mine.
aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:10 am

aaron wrote:Having come from the Bay Area, the gay scene here, by comparison, is like stepping back into the 1950's or 60's. Drag and leather shows in, say, San Francisco draw a tiny percentage of the gay population. They are considered tired, boring and very, very stereotypical by the larger majority.

Perhaps, though the 400,000 people who go to SF's Folsom Street Fair leather fest every September might disagree.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:27 am

The Folsom Street Fair is a different matter. There is a wide spectrum of people who attend that, including many straight people and even politicians. It began as pretty much a strictly leather affair and has now morphed into something much bigger, although I will admit that the leather "community" is still very much in evidence, but I wouldn't say it is the focal point anymore.

Just as the Castro Street Fair has evolved from pretty much a "gay community" thing to a citywide phenomenon.
aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:56 am

aaron wrote:The Folsom Street Fair is a different matter. There is a wide spectrum of people who attend that, including many straight people and even politicians.

Yes, that's exactly my point. A wide spectrum of people attend and support a leather-themed event, as opposed to declaring it marginal, dated and very, very stereotypical.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:39 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:
blunt wrote:I've been here and queer thousands of years now and have only seen two drag shows and zero leather fests.

Because you don't do these things, they don't count? Every event I covered was well attended. Apparently Madisonians really do go to drag shows and leather contests.

blunt wrote:"front page story" that seemed to have been merely called in recently.

Yes, it was the method of merely calling in a story whereby I interview people and go to venues and events. I'm so lazy!

I can see by the fact you "last edited" your post that I probably made you a lot madder than your final reply shows.
Hey I'm what you labelled a local gadfly, remember?
But I don't think the point is that just because a bunchh of people show up one night once a month somewhere for a "gay event" means that's the core scene.
And like aaron said, those kinds of nights (often tired and boring for some---exiting and meaningful for others) are a still but a tiny portion of our reality.
I guess I was mostly irked by the light skimming over each bar with a few snappy throwaway lines and the perfunctory list of cliched gay groups (stuff I know I've read before which and why I rudely labelled it "called in").

Calling Ray's cozy, is like calling Supermax homey. And "about a dozen" men showed up on St Patricks.
What about the 300 plus that flowed through the Shamrock scarfing up corned beef and green beer?
The floor was 2 inches deep in pixie dust glitter the head fairy tossed about and so many beads were given out people couldn't move. Or maybe that was all the green beer and shots of Knot.
Shamrock "an Irish bar" but gay one?
Perhaps you didn't see their recent Onion ad:
Irish? Not so much.
And what about Camp Bingo? What a minnestrone of every kind of person across the spectrum!
I didn't mean to hurt you, and of course, I'm just jealous I wasn't assigned that story, but dammit!
I want better and more!
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:19 pm

white_rabbit wrote:Looks like the Madison gay community could quickly go from famine to feast, as far as gay bar/club options go.

For old times sake, oh great, more bars to avoid.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:24 pm

MadMind wrote:For old times sake...

[A wistful smile spreads across mrak's face, as he fondly recalls the Funniest Fucking Forum Thread Ever, gone but never forgotten.]
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Town Vibe