MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 43.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Do you use an Electric Razor?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Do you use an Electric Razor?

Postby universitylad » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:37 pm

My parents purchased an electric razor for me in high school but it never really seemed to work that well and I've used regular razors (with varying numbers of blades) and shaving cream ever since.

One of my coworkers seems to shave daily but doesn't really seem to get everything off. I wonder if he uses an electric razor. What are other men's opinions on the electric vs blade matter?
universitylad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Frank Booth » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:54 pm

In my twixt-beard periods I use a cheap electric Norelco that my parents bought for me moons ago. It doesn't shave nearly as close as a razor, but you don't have to get shaving cream all over everything and can concentrate on other chores of the morning while shaving, assuming it's cordless. It's far from perfect, but giving how I hate mornings and analog shaving I'd rather get up a little late and shave with an electric than with a razor.

I am curious to know if spending more on an electric really is an improvement. If so, I would definitely consider moving up in the world.

Another thing to consider is that, in my case at least, shaving with a razor can be done every other day without too much pain/cuts/etc. If you go electric, plan on shaving every day unless you like a face that hurts and has patches of long and curlys amongst your bare skin.
Frank Booth
Forum Addict

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:29 pm

Norelco. The kind that plugs into the wall. The ones with a rechargable ni-cad battery built in suck donkey scrotum. The battery or the charger go south after a few months.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lysander » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:24 pm

Personally, I use an electric shaver - an expensive, fancy Norelco one - and haven't looked back. It gets plenty close, and doesn't require the time or the effort that dragging a surgically sharp piece of metal across my face does.

Yes, it was expensive, but when I calculate that I never buy blades or foam or an alum stick or any of those other doodads, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Cheaper ones seem to not do as well.

Others have differing views, as you might expect:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/tucker/tucker65.html
(haven't had the balls to try it out, maybe someone else can report back on it?)

http://www.shaveblog.com/
(haven't read most of it, but the guy is really into shaving)

And finally, the key place to visit,
http://philipshomestore.com/subcat.asp? ... nu=norelco
lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:32 am

I use a Panasonic rechargeable, which cost about $50. I feel it does an acceptable job, as long as I clean it every 2-3 days of use.

And I save the hot water for the shower, which is good because our water heater has barely enough capacity for each of us to get a good, hot shower per morning.

As per Frank's comment, if I try to go for a lazy weekend without shaving, I'm always really sorry when Monday rolls around - scraping an electric across three days' growth is pretty excruciating. Better to break out the Gillette and the shaving cream in that case.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:43 am

mrak wrote:And I save the hot water for the shower...

That reminds me...if you use a regular razor you will get a better shave if you rinse it in the COLDEST water possible.

If you use an electric do you still get the Macaulay Culkin effect when you put on after-shave?
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:13 am

This thread reminds me of a story about George Bernard Shaw. Went he was a wee lad, he asked his father why he shaved. His father couldn't think of a good reason, so he threw his straight edge out the window and never shaved again. Neither did G.B.S. when he became of age.

As for me, I've had a beard for over 35 years. When I was in the Navy, the rules loosened up and full beards were allowed (this has since changed). My choice was to shave closely every day and pass frequent inspections, or let it grow. The choice was easy. In the ensuing years, I saved a lot of time, money and blood. And it keeps the face warm in winter.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:38 am

bluethedog wrote:
mrak wrote:And I save the hot water for the shower...

That reminds me...if you use a regular razor you will get a better shave if you rinse it in the COLDEST water possible.

If you use an electric do you still get the Macaulay Culkin effect when you put on after-shave?

That's true. I do use hot water to soften up the whiskers and lather up. But then I switch to lukewarm to rinse. (Cold is just too much of a shock.)

And I don't put anything alcohol-based on my face after shaving because of - well, what you said.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cdhopper » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:37 am

I've used electric since I was about 14, and have never looked back. I've currently got one of those high-end Braun 360 shavers, the self cleaning foil ones. I have to say, it's awesome. I get as close of a shave as a razor.

Being the cheapskate that I am, I never would have gotten it for myself...it was a Christmas present from my wife.

As far as after-shave, lotion is the way to go. No sting, but very soothing.
cdhopper

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:54 am

Geez you guys! My guys have switched back and forth between Remington and Norelco. But as far as the after-shave is concerned, I've encouraged mine to go a little metro-male that way. Buy something good and soothing, they make it for guys. As I said to my macho brother-in-law, no one has to know, and you'll look good and feel good!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Burn » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:24 pm

I prefer a blade. I found it's what works the best for me. If you go electric, you DO tend to get what you pay for. Gotta agree on skipping the alcohol-laden aftershave, as well. You do have another option-straight razor. Let me know how that works out for ya if you try it. Otherwise, let it grow, let it grow, let it grow.
Burn

Postby mrak » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:31 am

Burn wrote:You do have another option-straight razor. Let me know how that works out for ya if you try it.

It is kind of cool to get a straight-razor shave at a barber shop, with the hot towel and the hot lather. But my attitude to this one is, don't try this at home.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MPMay » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:24 pm

No. I had an electric eons ago and hated it.

I've been a double bladed Gillette man ever since. It is simple, and effective.
MPMay
Forum Addict

Postby TAsunder » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:31 pm

Have tried various electrics of varying prices all the way up to the most expensive norelco. All of the cause excessive irritation and take 5 times longer to get a close shave.

I now use a double edged safety razor from Merkur. After an adjustment period, I found that it gave me the best shave.

But really, the shaving cream is a lot more important than the razor. Good british shaving cream makes a huge difference compared to random gillette crap. Thankfully the Soap Opera which is about a block away from here carries Crabtree & Evelyn and L'Occitane (though that is french - almost as good as british). L'Occitane's after shave balm is astoundingly good too.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Razors

Postby newlow » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:36 pm

I'm all about this one:
newlow
Forum Addict

Return to Catch All