MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

WKRP on DVD ... or is it?

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

WKRP on DVD ... or is it?

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:31 am

The reviews are in and it would appear to be as bad as anyone would have imagined.

Most original music replaced.
Entire scenes deleted.
Some episodes are the 22-minute syndicated versions.
Even Jennifer's doorbell chime has been replaced!

BOO!

I will NOT be buying this and neither should you.

More here.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:38 am

Oh man, even the "Patton" echo for Carlson's kid.

That is fucking harsh.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:55 am

Tough call for Fox - either pay thru the nose for the original song rights and then charge a mint per dvd set, or cut corners and keep the cost down hoping that more people will buy the generic version. I wonder how much market research they did before deciding which route to go? Seems like there would be a market for BOTH versions - one boutique / one bargain.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:16 am

Hey Wags I just read the 2nd link. The blogger talks about being corrected that the first song played by Fever was not Layla but was a Ted Nugent song.

Uh, I sure as hell remember it being Layla. I could be wrong; do they sound similar? I would have seen the original broadcast and wonder if they replaced Layla with the Nugent song sometime after that (and are now replacing the Nugent song with something even cheaper).

I got time, I'll google it and see if I can find anything.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:56 pm

bluethedog wrote:Hey Wags I just read the 2nd link. The blogger talks about being corrected that the first song played by Fever was not Layla but was a Ted Nugent song.

That would make more sense, frankly, but I don't honestly remember.

supaunknown wrote:Seems like there would be a market for BOTH versions - one boutique / one bargain.

Damn straight.
I actually understand the difficulties and costs involved in securing the music rights for some of this stuff, so I'd willingly pay a somewhat exorbitant fee for the original, uncut, unedited episodes.
$100 or so for the real deal seems reasonable to me.
As it stands, I like the show enough (and my wife barely knows it) that I'll likely Netflix it, but I'm really loathe to actually purchase this thing because A) I hate to encourage such practices and B) there's always the chance they'll do it right in the future and I hate buying things twice (I'm looking at you, two completely different Who's Next reissues with different bonus cuts released within a couple years of each other!)
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:24 pm

Wow. It's even worse than I was expecting.

'KRP was the first TV show I can ever remember that incorporated "real" rock and pop music (i.e., songs I knew and recognized by musicians I'd heard of and recognized) into it.

It gave the show's setting a certain credibility (though not exactly realism!)

Even as I kid, I noticed that most TV shows (unlike movies) used rock/pop music I wasn't familiar with, or sometimes used recordings of songs I knew, but not by the artists that made them famous.

This DVD release sounds like an absolute disaster.

Don't miss this link-within-Wags'-link (it was broken in the blog page, here's a fixed version):

http://members.allstream.net/~jacjud/wkrpmusic.html
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaronetc » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:42 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:there's always the chance they'll do it right in the future

I know a couple people who work in the old-TV-on-DVD biz, and they indicate that the chances of this are essentially zero.
aaronetc
Forum Addict

Postby mrak » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:54 pm

aaronetc wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:there's always the chance they'll do it right in the future

I know a couple people who work in the old-TV-on-DVD biz, and they indicate that the chances of this are essentially zero.

After this debacle, I would estimate the chances of Fox releasing even a severely compromised second-season DVD set to be about the same.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Return to TV