MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Andy Richter Can't Catch A Break

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Andy Richter Can't Catch A Break

Postby MadMind » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:03 pm

NBC cancels 'Andy Barker, PI'

And before that, Quintuplets

And before that, Andy Richter Controls The Universe
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:20 pm

Lame.

Didn't even give it a chance.

Funniest new show I'd seen in a looooong while.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:29 am

Just saw an ad for 'Til Death and I got pissed about Andy Richter being cancelled all over again.

Grrrrrrr.

What kind of a world gives Brad Garrett's romp through sitcom cliches time to build an audience but cancels a hilarious, original program like Richter's?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:06 pm

I have been recording them and I thought they were funny.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaronetc » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:36 pm

It's an amusing show, but it's a far sight from ...Controls the Universe, and it really can't stand with its Thursday night compatriots The Office and 30 Rock, IMO.
aaronetc
Forum Addict

Agreed

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:48 pm

He's funny, its funny, and Tony (Buster) from Arrested Development is funny. But I don't know if this is as bad as the demise of that show or something monumental like Freaks and Geeks.

Plenty of other great shows on right now! If you like funny check out Entourage, just started again this week...US Office is good too.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:55 am

I like Entourage but I wouldn't call it a funny show. It has funny moments, but it's got more substantial drama going on than laughs.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia should be starting up again soon. That and Entourage are the only shows I'm looking forward to caring about this summer. Thank god I have a DVR so I don't have to stay home to watch them!
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:29 am

Beer Moon wrote:I like Entourage but I wouldn't call it a funny show. It has funny moments, but it's got more substantial drama going on than laughs.

that's crazy talk. entourage is a COMEDY. it's got a very occasional dramatic moment, but if you're reading that show as a drama, you should probably excuse yourself from this thread.

meanwhile, i watched an ep of controls the universe on hdnet and was unimpressed.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

A "dramedy"?

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:32 am

Entourage's funny moments and funny characters are better than most of the comedic dreck thats on TV these days. The drama aspect makes it even more compelling for sure.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Re: A "dramedy"?

Postby Stomach » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:40 am

boston_jeff wrote:Entourage's funny moments and funny characters are better than most of the comedic dreck thats on TV these days. The drama aspect makes it even more compelling for sure.

Do you feel it's improved since a few years ago? I watched about 4 episodes back then and never really got into it although it could be that I didn't like the characters all that much. I remember liking his agent but I can't remember that actors name.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:18 am

Pisses me of the suits never learn.
Cheers, Seinfeld, hell---even 7th Heaven---were all "losers" until a couple savvy (!?) suits let the shows remain on schedule, incubating, becoming a presence until they caught on and the rest is history.
Grr.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaronetc » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:36 pm

blunt wrote:Pisses me of the suits never learn.
Cheers, Seinfeld, hell---even 7th Heaven---were all "losers" until a couple savvy (!?) suits let the shows remain on schedule, incubating, becoming a presence until they caught on and the rest is history.
Grr.

The same is true of the other current Thursday night shows that NBC has allowed to grow; ABPI got comparatively horrible ratings. Combine that with a ratings environment in which it's become really hard to grow an audience (especially compared to the Cheers or Seinfeld days) and I can't imagine they had to give this cancellation a second thought.
aaronetc
Forum Addict

Postby supaunknown » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:22 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Just saw an ad for 'Til Death and I got pissed about Andy Richter being cancelled all over again.

To recap our convo from last night: I like Richter but he definitely has a whiney Louie Anderson quality to him. Only being good in small doses may his curse.

My wife & I admittedly are fans of 'til Death. Sure, it mines the same ol' territory as many classic sitcoms before it, but the cast and performances are funny. Wags, as I recall you're a fan of King of Queens, very similar ...

I fear that 'til Death might've already officially "jumped the shark". Last night they had two episodes on back-to-back. The first episode's guest star was none other than the legendary Ted McGinley, and the second episode introduced a daughter character for the first time ever. Classic.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Return to TV