MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 25.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

VHS to Tivo?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

VHS to Tivo?

Postby small cheese » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:43 pm

Anyone know if this is possible? My mom has footage from a wedding in '73 on VHS that she wants me to put on a DVD. I have what I need to get it on my computer, but it would require moving my computer into the living room, digging up all kinds of wires and installing software that I no longer have any real use for. If I can get the Tivo to record it as it's playing, it's an easy transfer to my computer and DVD burner.

Please tell me if there is a way. I'm not finding any answers online.
small cheese
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:01 am

Have you tried to send the coax out from your VCR to the tivo coax in and set up a manual recording on channel 3 or 4...?
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby KGBear » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:34 am

You can use any standalone dvd recorder. If possible, connect your VCR to Tivo or DVD recorder via A/V cables - coax will add some noise.
KGBear

Postby TAsunder » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:14 am

You can't connect the VHS to tivo using RCA unless you completely redo guided setup in order to convince it that the input is RCA. Big pain just to archive some footage because you have to redo setup again afterwards.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Re: VHS to Tivo?

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:32 am

How do you burn DVDs of programs transferred from a TiVo to a computer? I thought the files were in some proprietary format.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby small cheese » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:34 pm

Shit. I just assumed I could burn it to DVD. I've never had a reason to try it before. I just got things to the point of being able to transfer programs between the Tivo and the computer, then stopped playing around with it.

I take it you've tried and couldn't do it? I'm going to putz around later and see if I can figure out a work-around. Last night I found a reference to some software that might do the trick. I will have to look at my history when I get home to find the name of it.

I'm starting to think this will all be a lot easier if I just pay someone to do this for me.

TAsunder wrote:Have you tried to send the coax out from your VCR to the tivo coax in and set up a manual recording on channel 3 or 4...?

Good idea, I didn't think of setting it up for a manual recording beforehand.
small cheese
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:37 pm

small cheese wrote:Shit. I just assumed I could burn it to DVD. I've never had a reason to try it before. I just got things to the point of being able to transfer programs between the Tivo and the computer, then stopped playing around with it. Googling "burn tivo files to dvd" turns up lots of hits, but learning how to do it hasn't been important enough to me to pursue further.

I take it you've tried and couldn't do it?

Actually, it's funny. I was able to burn DVDs of TiVo files a few times, after I used this tool to make .mpg files out of the .tivo files that get transferred by TiVoToGo. But then for some reason the process stopped working, possibly after I upgraded my version of Windows Media Player, but I can't be sure. So I was wondering if you had hit upon a method that works reliably.

As it happens, when I wanted to copy some VHS tapes to DVDs, I bought a relatively cheap DVD recorder-VCR combo unit (something like this) and have been pleased enough. The results aren't pro quality, but they're probably good enough for Mom.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games