MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Steak: Thick and Juicy

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Steak: Thick and Juicy

Postby Justcub » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:49 pm

Where's the best place around Madison/Middleton to get a nice juicy thick steak, at a moderate price?

I know the chains (Outback, Tumbleweed, etc) but I guess Im looking for something more then that.

Let me know, hoping to have one for dinner tonight
Justcub

Re: Steak: Thick and Juicy

Postby awestra » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:21 pm

Justcub wrote:Where's the best place around Madison/Middleton to get a nice juicy thick steak, at a moderate price?

Depends on what your definition of moderate price?

I've always had good steaks at George's Chop house and the Tornado Room.
awestra
Forum Addict

Postby depinmad » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:41 pm

i've had good cheapish steaks at fitzgeralds in middleton
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby EastSideTom » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:30 am

While Smokey's is often listed as the best steak joint, steaks at The Avenue Bar are among the best in town, and their extensive menu gives non-carnivore companions many choices, too. Neither their prices nor the wait for a table are outrageous.
EastSideTom
Forum Addict

Postby Darthcrank » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:17 am

best steak I ever had was a 30+ oz bone-in ribeye at the Tornado Room.

I don't recommend their "signature" steak however...
Darthcrank
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:35 am

In my opinion, a cheap steak is not a good steak. I haven't tried any of these new upscale chains (Flemings, soon Ruth's Chris), but I'm not sure any of them will come close to the atmosphere, service and quality at the Tornado. Magnus also serves a formidable steak.

I've never been to Smokey's. I've had a decent steak at the Avenue.

But I guess I always wonder why anyone would go half-ass on a steak when you're probably going to be disappointed and definitely not going to be enjoyable.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Darthcrank » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:03 am

jjoyce wrote:In my opinion, a cheap steak is not a good steak. I haven't tried any of these new upscale chains (Flemings, soon Ruth's Chris), but I'm not sure any of them will come close to the atmosphere, service and quality at the Tornado. Magnus also serves a formidable steak.

I've never been to Smokey's. I've had a decent steak at the Avenue.

But I guess I always wonder why anyone would go half-ass on a steak when you're probably going to be disappointed and definitely not going to be enjoyable.

I looked at the menu once for Ruth's Chris, and bout dropped a load in my pants right there...the price they wanted for a moderately sized steak was well over $100, and that didn't include the sides or drinks.

My one gripe about the Tornado is the "atmosphere", and I find it funny that you mention that as a plus...
Wood paneling, cafeteria-tile floors, and drop ceiling tiles from my granny's house was decor I had to try to ignore, not enjoy.
Darthcrank
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:42 pm

Darthcrank wrote:Wood paneling, cafeteria-tile floors, and drop ceiling tiles from my granny's house was decor I had to try to ignore, not enjoy.

That's a steakhouse, as far as I'm concerned. No nonsense. White linens and wait people who know what's up... meaning few (if any) college students getting by on what they think is charm.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bruno » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:41 pm

My place, my grill. Always free at one of my cookouts.

/end brag :)
Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:20 pm

jjoyce wrote:
Darthcrank wrote:Wood paneling, cafeteria-tile floors, and drop ceiling tiles from my granny's house was decor I had to try to ignore, not enjoy.

That's a steakhouse, as far as I'm concerned. No nonsense. White linens and wait people who know what's up... meaning few (if any) college students getting by on what they think is charm.

The Tornado is steakhouse defined. Exposed wood beams, booths with clunky 'gemstone' pendants, chrome coat racks: it's old-school baby.

Plus the steaks are good, and in my opinion it IS reasonably priced because unlike other n'hood joints the T Room doesn not have an a la carte menu.

Personally, I preferred the jackets and ties previously worn by servers at the Tornado, but I can appreciate the complete lack of comfort.
spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:41 am

spanky wrote:Personally, I preferred the jackets and ties previously worn by servers at the Tornado, but I can appreciate the complete lack of comfort.

I think they still wear a tie though, right? White shirt, black tie, waist apron?

All steak joints, in my mind, are compared to Murray's in Minneapolis, home of the silver butterknife steak. Get there if you're ever up there. Places like Ruth's Chris are pretenders to the throne.

I used to get together with some high school friends between Christmas and New Years for a pricey meal and one year at Murray's the bartender shamed us for the absolute punks we were simply by asking for our martini preferences (I'm not sure any of us had ever ordered one before).
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:52 am

jjoyce wrote:All steak joints, in my mind, are compared to Murray's in Minneapolis, home of the silver butterknife steak. Get there if you're ever up there.

I've never had a meal at Murray's, but if I find myself dressed up in downtown Mpls. in the evening, I inevitably find my way to Murray's for a drink or two.

How are the steaks there? I just want to be assured they're not coasting along on their old-school vibe and that glorious, unspoilt-by-urban-renewal exterior facade.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:55 am

Darthcrank wrote:My one gripe about the Tornado is the "atmosphere", and I find it funny that you mention that as a plus...
Wood paneling, cafeteria-tile floors, and drop ceiling tiles from my granny's house was decor I had to try to ignore, not enjoy.

Are you nuts? Tornado has beautiful terrazzo floors. Bad for the acoustics, but very easy on the eyes.

I love the atmosphere at the Tornado, unless we get stuck in the front room next to a big, noisy group.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:58 am

mrak wrote:How are the steaks there?

I've never had steak there, but it's super-fuckin'-cozy inside, IMO. Of course, I've only ever been there in the ass-crack of Minneapolis winter, when just about any place with heat seems cozy.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:12 pm

jjoyce wrote: one year at Murray's the bartender shamed us for the absolute punks we were simply by asking for our martini preferences (I'm not sure any of us had ever ordered one before).

Is that part of the "New Cruelty?" I guess I've always had a hard time getting enthusiastic about places where I drop a lot of coin for the privilege of getting embarrassed. But maybe that's just me.

You say that places like Ruth's Chris are "pretenders to the throne." Is that statement based on experience with Ruth's Chris and other places (such as Morton's, Fleming's, Smith & Wollensky)? I myself can't compare them because the only place at which I can recall eating in the Twin Cities is a Shakey's Pizza in Golden Valley. So you may in fact be correct; I just am curious as to the data underlying your assertion.

From people I know who have been there, I am told that the best steaks in the country can be found in Kansas City and Omaha. But since I've never been, I can't say for sure.

I can say that the handful of steaks that I've had at Ruth's Chris and Morton's have been better than the steaks I've had at the Tornado, and that the most I've paid has been about $45. I can also say that the Tornado is a better value, because you get a really damn fine steak for quite a bit less money.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues