MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 38.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

National TV turn off week - April 23-29

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Re: National TV turn off week - April 23-29

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:12 pm

bluethedog wrote:
Kenneth Burns wrote:Did channel 15 do a report on Turnoff Week? I'm guessing not.

Nope; I found out from a friend's email.

Ch. 15 will report on Email turnoff week, whenever that is.


Maybe newspapers should promote an Internets Turnoff week. -k
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3023
Joined: Fri May 24, 2002 3:14 pm

Re: National TV turn off week - April 23-29

Postby blunt » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:15 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:
Kenneth Burns wrote:
Did channel 15 do a report on Turnoff Week? I'm guessing not.


If they did, no one would be watching it, right?


And so then would it make a sound?
blunt
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8246
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 6:19 pm
Location: Right behind you.

Postby supaunknown » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:32 pm

You'll have to pry the remote from my cold dead hand.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5578
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:22 pm

Postby bluethedog » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:23 am

1 day in and shaking uncontrollably but otherwise ok.

This is gonna be harder than I thought. I usually watch tv while I ride my stationary bike. Last night went to absent-mindedly turn it on before remembering at the last second that I'm not watching tv this week.

Turned off power strip to prevent any "accidents".
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1375
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:49 am
Location: West side

Postby TAsunder » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:05 am

The whole idea is pretty stupid unless you are a parent trying to raise your child not to depend on TV. That's the only case I see for this. Most likely the real majority of people participating are the sort that have their thumbs up their anus and go around telling everyone how they don't watch tv because it's brainless fodder for drooling idiots, instead they go to the cinema - where inevitably they watch the latest michael bay film and hail it a masterpiece. Sometimes they read novels instead. Novels like the latest harry potter novel, you know, real high art type stuff.

You want to take control of your tv viewing habits? Buy a tivo and watch tv when you have time instead of waiting around for the show to start at 8. Problem solved.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4783
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:21 pm
Location: Near East Side, Madison

Postby bluethedog » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:46 am

TAsunder wrote:The whole idea is pretty stupid unless you are a parent trying to raise your child not to depend on TV. That's the only case I see for this.

I was a child raised to depend on TV. Is it really stupid for me to let it go for a WEEK?

To me this is less about TV than it is realizing that, yes, you can live without something that you always thought you HAD TO HAVE.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1375
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:49 am
Location: West side

Postby jhain » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:54 am

TAsunder wrote:The whole idea is pretty stupid...


Most are..
jhain
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1267
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 7:38 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Postby Ducatista » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:55 am

I like TV, but I don't think going without it for a week would be much of a hardship.

There's no WAY I'd give up radio for a week, though.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4356
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:31 pm
Location: 53703

Postby buckyor » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:15 am

So, does this preclude me from watching a DVD on a television set? How about a DVD of a television show? Spent the weekend and last night watching all of the episodes of Firefly. It was pretty good; wish there were more.

Just in case this doesn't qualify as breaking the rules, I also watched the last 10 minutes of the Canucks-Stars series on CBC. No way in hell I'm going to forego watching the Stanley Cup playoffs.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2328
Joined: Mon May 07, 2001 1:09 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM

Postby Marvell » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:04 pm

TAsunder wrote: Most likely the real majority of people participating are the sort that have their thumbs up their anus and go around telling everyone how they don't watch tv because it's brainless fodder for drooling idiots, instead they go to the cinema - where inevitably they watch the latest michael bay film and hail it a masterpiece. Sometimes they read novels instead. Novels like the latest harry potter novel, you know, real high art type stuff.


Quite a strawman you've created there, TA.

Most likely your the sort who's so threatened by any criticism of your 'lifestyle' that you have to manufacture insulting, demeaning and childish stereotypes on which to project your anxieties.

See how that works?
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6989
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 11:28 pm
Location: At one with time and space

Postby TAsunder » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:10 pm

bluethedog wrote:I was a child raised to depend on TV. Is it really stupid for me to let it go for a WEEK?

To me this is less about TV than it is realizing that, yes, you can live without something that you always thought you HAD TO HAVE.


As long as you don't think it's just TV that you should take a look at, it may be ok. I don't recall a lot of other "don't do x for a week" campaigns. I think we'd all learn a lot more about ourselves if we tried to eat like a vegan for a week. At the least we'd understand why they get all rabid and foamy around the mouth when one infinitescimal particle of cheese wafts over into the grain section at whole foods.

The reason I think it's stupid is because people place so much emphasis on TV being a brainless medium when in fact there is plenty of high quality stuff on it, and the average content is not significantly worse than the average novel or average film. And in fact tends to be a lot more intelligent than a conversation with one of those people who not only doesn't own a tv but goes around insulting people who watch tv.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4783
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:21 pm
Location: Near East Side, Madison

Postby TAsunder » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:11 pm

Marvell wrote:
TAsunder wrote: Most likely the real majority of people participating are the sort that have their thumbs up their anus and go around telling everyone how they don't watch tv because it's brainless fodder for drooling idiots, instead they go to the cinema - where inevitably they watch the latest michael bay film and hail it a masterpiece. Sometimes they read novels instead. Novels like the latest harry potter novel, you know, real high art type stuff.


Quite a strawman you've created there, TA.

Most likely your the sort who's so threatened by any criticism of your 'lifestyle' that you have to manufacture insulting, demeaning and childish stereotypes on which to project your anxieties.

See how that works?


I'm not sure how you can call it a strawman. It's a generalization. One intended to mock in a humorous fashion. I'm not threatened by people I find stupid. You of all people should understand that since you tend to find every other person on the planet stupid.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4783
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:21 pm
Location: Near East Side, Madison

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:20 pm

TAsunder wrote: The reason I think it's stupid is because people place so much emphasis on TV being a brainless medium when in fact there is plenty of high quality stuff on it, and the average content is not significantly worse than the average novel or average film. And in fact tends to be a lot more intelligent than a conversation with one of those people who not only doesn't own a tv but goes around insulting people who watch tv.


My sentiments exactly. I can't remember the last time I watched a sitcom. I've never watched a reality show. I'm really more of a News Hour/Discovery Channel/National Geographic Channel kind of guy. Not that every last thing I watch is brain food, but predominantly yes.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3970
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:56 am
Location: Around here somewhere

Postby Marvell » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:25 pm

TAsunder wrote:I'm not sure how you can call it a strawman. It's a generalization. One intended to mock in a humorous fashion. I'm not threatened by people I find stupid. You of all people should understand that since you tend to find every other person on the planet stupid.


That's (perhaps unsurprisingly) a rather self-serving interpretation of what you posted. 'Generalization' apparently means 'sheer speculation based on personal prejudice yet couched as fact,' and 'mock in a humorous fashion' equates to 'sneeringly intone a bunch of completely unfunny shit directed towards a construct solely of my own making.'

You should really look into a job with the Bush administration. With your adeptness at vomiting forth intellectually dishonest spin you'd be a natural.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6989
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 11:28 pm
Location: At one with time and space

Postby blunt » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:46 pm

I simply think it's short-sighted and dumb to voluntarily cut one's self off from social information---no matter how skewed or partisan.
Know your enemy.
On the other hand, it's perhaps a good idea to clean out one's filter.
Sigh.
If only my television would fit in my bong.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8246
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 6:19 pm
Location: Right behind you.

PreviousNext

Return to TV

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar