MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 44.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

National TV turn off week - April 23-29

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Postby TAsunder » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:48 pm

Thanks for sharing your pearls of wisdom, Marvell. Should I assume you are a person who goes around telling everyone how proud you are of yourself for not watching TV? Or is this merely something you saw as a chance to (once again) fluff up your already inflated ego? Perhaps you want to actually offer some sort of substance to your point, or are you content to merely claim mine has none by stating it verbosely?

Do you know of any adult who "saw the light" when they turned their tv off for a week, only to turn it on and then watch all the shows they had saved on their DVR? I'd like to meet that person.

Do you actually believe this is a "construct solely of my own making"? Have you somehow never met an anti-tv snob in your life? Or were you inferring that I think there is no merit at all to their cause? That's not the case, I merely think this method is pointless and stupid for adults. Turning off the tv for a week is not going to have any lasting impact on any adult with half a brain.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4783
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:21 pm
Location: Near East Side, Madison

Postby bluethedog » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:53 pm

TAsunder wrote:As long as you don't think it's just TV that you should take a look at, it may be ok.

I totally agree. I had a run on Carl Hiassen books last year that was no better than watching a King of Queens marathon.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1375
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:49 am
Location: West side

Postby TAsunder » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:00 pm

bluethedog wrote:I totally agree. I had a run on Carl Hiassen books last year that was no better than watching a King of Queens marathon.


Therein lies the problem. Most adults aren't going to benefit by just reading any random book like many children would. I think it would be a lot more useful to get a DVR and then force yourself to pick a limited amount of TV to record each week, and never watch it live, only at certain prescribed periods.

The goal stated of this program is to reduce our dependency on TV. Their solution is akin to going on an extreme diet for a week instead of offering guidance on eating sensibly.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4783
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:21 pm
Location: Near East Side, Madison

Postby buckyor » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:05 pm

Hey, I've got an idea I think I'll try: how about if I don't give a fuck about whether other people watch tv, and I also don't give a fuck about whether other people give a fuck about my watching tv.

Works for me.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2328
Joined: Mon May 07, 2001 1:09 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM

Postby bluethedog » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:08 pm

TAsunder wrote:Their solution is akin to going on an extreme diet for a week instead of offering guidance on eating sensibly.

I'd liken it more to a drug addict going cold turkey. Food you can't live without, TV you can.

The trick as I see it, is what are people replacing their TV with? Last night I spent it surfing the 'Net, not a very good trade! I could go even further and go all Eastern, why do we even have to replace it with anything? Because we're Americans. It's all do do do.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1375
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:49 am
Location: West side

Postby Marvell » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:15 pm

TAsunder wrote:Thanks for sharing your pearls of wisdom, Marvell. Should I assume you are a person who goes around telling everyone how proud you are of yourself for not watching TV? Or is this merely something you saw as a chance to (once again) fluff up your already inflated ego? Perhaps you want to actually offer some sort of substance to your point, or are you content to merely claim mine has none by stating it verbosely?


No, I just wanted to point out that you were being needlessly an asshole.

That's all. I'm out.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6989
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 11:28 pm
Location: At one with time and space

Postby TAsunder » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:21 pm

Marvell wrote:
TAsunder wrote:Thanks for sharing your pearls of wisdom, Marvell. Should I assume you are a person who goes around telling everyone how proud you are of yourself for not watching TV? Or is this merely something you saw as a chance to (once again) fluff up your already inflated ego? Perhaps you want to actually offer some sort of substance to your point, or are you content to merely claim mine has none by stating it verbosely?


No, I just wanted to point out that you were being needlessly an asshole.

That's all. I'm out.


And yet you did so by needlessly being one yourself. But I'm sure you don't consider yourself subject to your own rules, eh? Otherwise you'd surely think you are owed several such "observations" in your cute little pet threads about George W Bush and the like.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4783
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:21 pm
Location: Near East Side, Madison

Postby Marvell » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:55 pm

TAsunder wrote:
Marvell wrote:
No, I just wanted to point out that you were being needlessly an asshole.

That's all. I'm out.


And yet you did so by needlessly being one yourself. But I'm sure you don't consider yourself subject to your own rules, eh?


On the contrary - I'm keenly aware of my own assholish tendancies.

You, however, always act like your shit doesn't stink.

And I'm here to tell you - it does. Does it ever.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6989
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 11:28 pm
Location: At one with time and space

Postby TAsunder » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:02 pm

Marvell wrote:On the contrary - I'm keenly aware of my own assholish tendancies.

You, however, always act like your shit doesn't stink.

And I'm here to tell you - it does. Does it ever.


You suffer from the same disorder. Nice to meet you, maybe we should form a support group.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4783
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:21 pm
Location: Near East Side, Madison

Postby Marvell » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:45 pm

TAsunder wrote:
Marvell wrote:On the contrary - I'm keenly aware of my own assholish tendancies.

You, however, always act like your shit doesn't stink.

And I'm here to tell you - it does. Does it ever.


You suffer from the same disorder. Nice to meet you, maybe we should form a support group.


Don't try to drag me down with you, stank boy.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6989
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 11:28 pm
Location: At one with time and space

Postby meowzamusic » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:00 pm

When is YouTube turn-off week?
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2659
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2001 1:33 am
Location: Taking requests

Postby supaunknown » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:01 pm

This thread is kinda funny. It's a semi-legit one-a-year chance for all the TV haters to again raise their nose high in the air and proclaim their disdain for the idiot box. I'm surprised it really hasn't happened yet. C'mon people, revile on your brother! Everybody get together we've got to knock one another right now!

Same stuff happens when people start talking about food & stuff.
"Ooo the food I eat is better than the food you eat therefore my gas is less stinky than yourn."
*toot toot*

Bottom line is that I'm smarter than all of you because I watch more TV than all you combined. Yes, I average about 72,522 viewing hours per day (mostly Classic Poker on The Duece). Impossible you say? Heh, shows what you know.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5577
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:22 pm

Postby TAsunder » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:19 pm

We've come a long way on TDPF. Used to be, all it took to get burned at the stake was merely mentioning that you watch TV. Now us untouchables get our own forum for TV and everything.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4783
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:21 pm
Location: Near East Side, Madison

Postby Marvell » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:23 pm

So - is it National Stupid 'I'm A Victim' Rhetoric Day or something and I just didn't get the memo?
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6989
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 11:28 pm
Location: At one with time and space

Postby TAsunder » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:45 pm

This is what happens when people turn off their TVs - they complain about being victims.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4783
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:21 pm
Location: Near East Side, Madison

PreviousNext

Return to TV

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar