MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

DishNetwork vs. DirecTV - HD only

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

DishNetwork vs. DirecTV - HD only

Postby Beer Moon » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:47 am

Now that I have an HDTV, it's near torture to watch anything that's not HD. I put up with the Daily Show and ATHF and a few others here and there, but I just have no interest in non-HD tv anymore.

So instead of paying charter ridiculous amounts for a mere 16 HD channels, all of which are available on other services, I am thinking about switching to a dish.

DirecTV has everything that Charter has except the music channel, Starz, Cinemax, and PBS. But they have a PPV HD channel, Nat. Geographic, and ESPN2 HD. Of course they're also cheaper. I feel kinda meh about this offering.

DishNetwork has what Charter has minus Cinemax HD and the Music channel, and (I think) ALL LOCAL HD CHANNELS. So that's bad. However, they have National Geographic, PPV, ESPN2, Food Network, Equator, Animania, HGTV, RAVE (music), A&E, Gameplay, FilmFest, World News, Monsters (horror), Kung Fu, Treasure (auctions), Ultra (fashion), and Gallery (art) - which is another 14 HD channels above what I have now. And it costs about $30 less than charter, including the HD-DVR equipment I have grown to know and love.

So question for any DishNetwork subscribers that are into HD - do you know if they plan to add our local HD feeds? Is there a way to get them onto your Dish DVR device and schedule recordings without the need for tons of extra equipment? How is your service? How are the channels I mentioned - do a lot of them suck, or are they at least kind of interesting? What about their PPV HD? Is it on-demand? Lots of HD movies or not so much on that?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer. I'm very close to making a move here.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:17 pm

Ok, here we go...

So question for any DishNetwork subscribers that are into HD - do you know if they plan to add our local HD feeds?

No, they are not because it would be a waste of bandwidth at this point. Get a small $100 tv antenna and you should be fine.

Is there a way to get them onto your Dish DVR device and schedule recordings without the need for tons of extra equipment?

For Yes. Their DVRs would be worthless if they didn't record every channel available.
Your HDTV OTA antenna plugs into the back of your Dish DVR/Receiver. You then do a scan in the "setup" menu for local HDTV channels. If it finds the channel it will add it to your channel list from which you select what you are going to record.

How is your service? How are the channels I mentioned - do a lot of them suck, or are they at least kind of interesting?

Ok, here's the honest answer. They are great looking, but I don't watch many of them.
I watch RAVE and HBOHD the most. ESPN and HDNET after that.
All of the former Voom Network channels like Monster, Gamer, Kung Fu, etc... don't add new content regularly so there are a ton of repeats. Most of the channels are worthless to me, but you might like being able to watch "Operation Condor" or classic "Thunderbirds" episodes in HD.

What about their PPV HD? Is it on-demand? Lots of HD movies or not so much on that?

Negligible at best.

The HD scene on Dish is a mixed bag right now. It's good, not great. We're still in the infancy of the HD thing and that's why but it is getting better.
For example Universal's HD channel shows the new BSG episodes in HD as they are shot, just not at the same time they are on SciFi.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:07 pm

if i were somewhere where i could get decent ota signals for the locals i'd switch from charter to dish in a hearbeat, but i'm not so i won't.
the music hd channel hasn't added any new programming in months. it's unreal.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:34 pm

My main concern was that I wouldn't be able to schedule recordings on HD locals. Since that's not a problem, I'm going to go for it.

There's lots of repetitive stuff on all the HD channels that exist, and since it's cheaper than charter, there's really not much decision to make.

I'm just going to keep my cable modem through charter and ditch their TV altogether then. Gotta have a quick chat with the landlord and then I'll order it up.

Should I order from the main DishNetwork site, or is it better to try to find a local reseller? Anyone know if that matters? There's a great deal on the main site, looks like no installation fees and no fee for the HD-DVR either.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:51 pm

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Return to TV