MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 78.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Gotham's Eats are Damn Good

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Gotham's Eats are Damn Good

Postby cubanat » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:26 pm

I've been here a few times now. Everything I've had is pretty damn tasty. I have never been during a "rush" so I can't comment on the execution of orders during peak times but the counter staff is polite and fairly knowledgable with me. The pastrami sandwich is good. The pork sandwich on an everything bagel is great. The Montauk is excellent as well again on an everything bagel. I think they may need to season some meats a bit more but thats why the choice of bagel one gets is key. The breakfast sandwich, the G, was good as well but a bit on the skimpy side. The prices can be higher than usual and the portions on the sandwiches are no La Concha, but all in all anyone clamoring for a good NYC (style) bagel can now shut up and smile.
cubanat
Forum Addict

Re: Gotham's Eats are Damn Good

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:33 pm

cubanat wrote:The breakfast sandwich, the G, was good as well but a bit on the skimpy side.

Agreed. Good in that it's very fresh and pleasantly imperfect, bad in that the toppings in no way stand up to anything but a plain or very blandly-topped bagel. An Everything will kick that sandwich's ass.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:47 pm

still haven't gotten there, but i wish someone would come here and talk about the bagels themselves, and i mean just the plain bagels. i could care less about the toppings and fillings, those are available anywhere in madison. the issues is supposed to be the ACTUAL BAGELS.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cubanat » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:04 pm

What don't you get? The bagels are good. We wouldn't be talking about the sandwiches if the bagels weren't now would we? Personally I like the poppyseed, the everything and the egg everything. Go and taste for yourself. It's worth the trip (just don't forget to plug your meter.)
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:14 pm

depinmad wrote:those are available anywhere in madison.

If you can find a bagel place in Madison with a softshell crab sandwich, in season, please let me know where it is.

In other words, the sandwiches are part of the discussion. They have to be. Gotham offers stuff that few if any other places in the area offer.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:22 pm

bah humbug!

ok, thanks.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:48 pm

Their bagels are really good. They are by far the best in madison. The only ones I prefer to eat untoasted.

I disagree about the G sandwich, though. I like that the bagel overpowers the ingredients slightly. I want to taste the bagel first and the other things second.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cubanat » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:32 pm

I agree, plain (nothing on it & not sliced) is often best. I eat one "egg everything" plain while I wait for my sandwich to be made. This is the sign of a good bagel for all those that don't get the NY bagel thing. Try doing that with a bagel-forever...
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby supereightsnate » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:20 pm

anybody got a link with hours?
supereightsnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:43 pm

supereightsnate wrote:anybody got a link with hours?

http://www.gothambagels.com/

7 to 3, Mon-Sat
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu May 03, 2007 9:20 am

I will amend my critique of the G-on-everything. Got one again today, and it was substantially more satisfying. The egg was yolkier and the everything was saltier. Mayhaps that was the difference-maker.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu May 03, 2007 10:20 am

I got a G-on-everything earlier this week and found it WAY too salty. Duh, salt on the bagel + capicola = should've known better.

It was pretty good otherwise, so I'll probably try it again but on egg, or maybe onion.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lysander » Fri May 04, 2007 11:42 am

I have eaten the G breakfast sandwich (the one with the egg, cheddar, and capicolla). It was very tasty. I can't say I'd drop $7+ on a lunch sandwich, but I look forwards to eating more of their tasty bagels. $1.50 for an RC is a bit high, but they've got other options. The lentil salads look good as well, but I haven't tried them yet.
lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cubanat » Fri May 04, 2007 11:51 am

For the record the G sandwich is "only" $3.50. All I need is Yoo-Hoo to wash down the RC.
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby GenieU » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:04 am

Finally got around to trying Gotham a couple of times. Yes, the bagels really are all that. Its also a fun place to take kids because you get to watch the bagels getting boiled, sprinkled, and baked in a large rotating oven.

I hope they can prosper doing a kind of rarified thing...those who are used to super sweet, tarted up, bready-bagels may not enjoy it as much as they like an Einsteins...but that remains to be seen.

Ultimately they may have to compromise the product a tad. They could make one with rice crispies, marshmallows and chocolate chips called the "Midwesterner" and another with cheese curds called the "Wisconsinite" and one just for me called the "Brat"!
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews