MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 25.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

going up?.....gas prices, that is...

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

going up?.....gas prices, that is...

Postby dstol62 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:10 pm

Hey all you people with a "gas is still my right and so what if I have A.D.D. complex"...guess what? The price of gas is about to take another flying leap into the &*!!*@ stratosphere. Fortunately, the ones out there who knew it was coming probably have already made a few adjustments.
Anyway, see you all on the other side of $4.00 a gallon. And all you smug hybrid owners have nothing to say either, cause your property taxes are still
HUGE.
dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dstol62 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:32 pm

here is a related article from the Detroit Free Press:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 00337/1019
dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:07 am

We had a couple of similar threads like this one last year:

Who's Gouging Whom?
What To Do About Gas Prices

When the first thread was written, gas was hovering right around $3.00 per gallon. I predicted that over the following year it would drop back towards $2.00, then rise again. Which is exactly what happened.

Gas is typically more expensive at this time of year, for a number of reasons, and it's almost exactly the same price today as it was at this point last year.

I don't foresee $4/gallon gas in the next year, unless Bush does something really stupid like bombing Iran.

On the other hand, oil production does seem to be plateauing. Here are the data on worldwide oil supply, from the US Energy Information Agency (a profoundly conservative and non-alarmist organization).

In 2004, total world oil supply was up 4.31%
In 2005, it was up 1.88%
In 2006, it was up 0.02%

(source -- see the Excel spreadsheet "World Oil Balance")

If you don't like high gas prices, you'd better hope that the 2006 figure was just a fluke. Because worldwide demand is going to rise a lot more than 0.02% this year (EIA sez 3%).
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dstol62 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:04 pm

dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby The Tolerator » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:19 pm

light sweet crude's price while high is down 78 cents today. Let's hope for a trend.
The Tolerator
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:38 pm

Hope is for losers, I'll be praying for cheap oil.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby RockHopper » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:20 pm

massimo wrote:Hope is for losers, I'll be praying for cheap oil.

You should pray that motorists get off their lazy asses and find another lifestyle mode that doesn't expose them to price volatility.

We have known since the early 70's that dependence on oil is a problem. No more whining! You chose the living arrangement that makes oil prices a problem for you. Choose a different living arrangement that solves the problem instead of expecting the government to solve it!
RockHopper
Forum Addict

Postby Chuck_Schick » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:46 pm

RockHopper wrote:You should pray that motorists get off their lazy asses and find another lifestyle mode that doesn't expose them to price volatility.

Yeah, it's all the fault of the motorists, I suppose.

No fault of the automotive industry that could have increased fuel efficiency standards 30 fucking years ago, thus saving Christ-knows-how-many barrels of crude in the interim years.

No fault of developers who puke-up subdivisions without sidewalks, miles from the nearest grocery store.

No fault of the politicians who pander to Big Oil, failing to pass CAFE standards or demand investment in alternative energy technologies.

Nope, all the fault of the motorist who should know better than to accept that job that's not within walking or biking distance, or not on a bus route, even though it might be the only employment option out there. All the fault of the person working two jobs to make ends meet who can't make the commute between the two in any timely fashion except by car.

I appreciate your advocacy of alternative transportation, but to assert that everyone is totally in control of every last variable that dictates how they move their asses from points A to B is either totally disingenuous or completely retarded.

So if that's the best retort you can put forth, go jam a tailpipe in it, jackass. And suck hard (although you already suck pretty hard).
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby RockHopper » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:09 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:
RockHopper wrote:You should pray that motorists get off their lazy asses and find another lifestyle mode that doesn't expose them to price volatility.

Yeah, it's all the fault of the motorists, I suppose.

No fault of *

In general it is the fault of Motorists. Sure, there are some fringe (< 20%) cases where there are unavoidable needs for one particular lifestyle choice. But, most motorists have only themselves to blame. I know it is annoying as hell to hear me tell you how badly you have screwed yourself by relying on oil, but facts are facts.

You want developers to build housing closer to employment areas? The fastet way to convince them is for consumers to refuse to purchase housing in isolated areas.

You want car companies to start producing super-efficient automobiles? The fastest way to make that happen is for consumers to refuse to buy gas hogs. It is indisputable that consumers' penchant for SUV's is a big problem now.

You want energy companies to start producing alternative fuels? The fastest way is for consumers to stop buying oil-based energy products.

You want better mass transit options? Get off your ass and demand that your local transit authority provide a convenient route for your area - and ride the damn bus!

WisDOT refuses to include increased funding for bicycling in their budget proposal this year. Know why? Because MOTORISTS whine and whine and whine about congestion and safety. Congestion is caused by motorists. The majority of Safety problems are caused by motorists failing to abide by the rules of the road.

When motorists stop acting like babies - expecting the world to conform around their poor lifestyle choices - all the issues you bring up will get addressed.

You bet it is your fault. Now get over your denial and fix the problem yourself!
RockHopper
Forum Addict

Postby Chuck_Schick » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:19 pm

Well, the verdict is then.

You're a simple-minded jackass.

Don't condescend to tell me any of this is MY fault when you don't know dick about me, dickhead. I'm speaking more on behalf of those who may not share the advantage of viewing the world from your privileged platform, not really on my own defense.

I'm also advising that you might want to check your patronizing tone at the door if you want anyone in the auditorium to come away with anything other than the perception that you're a pedantic twerp.

But hey, vent your wordhole all you want if it makes you feel good (and something tells me it makes you feel REALLY good to play the sanctimonious blowhard).
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby RockHopper » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:41 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:Well, the verdict is then.

You're a simple-minded jackass.

And you are a highly proficient name-caller. But tell me, are there any facts you can submit on this forum that dispute the assertions in my last post?

Believe me, I have tried the How to win friends and influence people route for many years. Guess what: motorists don't care. Guess what else? Motorists are still complaining about gas prices. At least I am offering solutions to the problem. And mind you, they are not simple minded.

I'm not saying Motorists need to uproot their lives right now to fix the problem. I suggest that the next time a motorist feels the need to move, they hold out for a couple months during their search until they can find a house that provides better insulation from oil price shocks. That extra time will put pressure on housing costs and send a clear message to developers.

I am suggesting that the next time a consumer needs to find their primary grocer, they factor in the cost (including their time) of transportation to/from the store in addition to the cost of the goods at the store.

I am suggesting that the next time a motorist feels the need to purchase an automobile (every 6 years on average), that they limit their possibilities to high fuel efficiency vehicles - 30 mpg this time, 35 next time, 40 after that, etc. This will put price pressure on the market that the auto manufacturers will respond to.

I am suggesting that the next time someone changes jobs, that they factor in the cost (including their time) of the transportation required to work at potential new job sites.

Right now there is a glut of condos in downtown Madison. Why? Why are the suburbs experiencing greater growth than the core of Madison? Because of the choices of consumers.

If consumers are really that distressed about gas prices, then I would think they would be willing to do something about it. What other solutions have been offered on this forum?
RockHopper
Forum Addict

Postby massimo » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:58 pm

RockHopper wrote:Right now there is a glut of condos in downtown Madison. Why? Why are the suburbs experiencing greater growth than the core of Madison? Because of the choices of consumers.

If consumers are really that distressed about gas prices, then I would think they would be willing to do something about it. What other solutions have been offered on this forum?

That's just it. I don't feel that those consumers *are* really that distressed about gas prices. Living in a condo downtown and living in, say, Verona are distinctly different experiences. For most, the cost of fuel probably sits somewhere below 5th on the "shit to be considered" list. Yeah, people might bitch about gas prices, but it's not going to make them give up their yard, their square footage, their school districts, etc.

So yeah, it's about choices, but for most people gas is still too cheap to worry about, IMO.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:13 pm

FYI...I'm in Palm Springs at the moment and it's 3.45 a gallon.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Darthcrank » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:36 pm

"I am suggesting that the next time a consumer needs to find their primary grocer, they factor in the cost (including their time) of transportation to/from the store in addition to the cost of the goods at the store."

Nearly all of the people I know who relocated out to the boonies did so because driving was cheaper than housing, and they could have things like peace and quiet, and a yard, for the same or less money than living in a condo in town.

Economics will change decisions, but your preachy attitude about it is really distasteful. People act in their own immediate best interest, not your crusades.
Darthcrank
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Tue May 01, 2007 7:40 am

Lifestyle choices certainly play a part, but it is hard to fault people for seeking an affordable home with the kind of amenities they would not have living in a downtown condo. That having been said, we have all been duly warned, and these same people CAN be faulted for continuing to purchase gas guzzling SUV's and big-assed pickups. I saw the writing on the wall a couple of years ago and traded in my "small" SUV for a very "plain jane" 4-cylinder sedan that gets an average of 34-36 mpg. There is no reason others can't do the same.

Even now, as prices are hovering just below $3/gal, I see SUV's and pickups pull away from the pumps having rung up $60 or more just to fill the damned things up. I can't even imagine what they'll be spending if we hit $4 by this summer, as predicted.
aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines