Collapse Photo Bar

Dive Bars?

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Postby blunt » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:55 pm

narcoleptish wrote:You might try:

slice-n-bullits
?

I think it's just Slice's now.
His friendship with Bullits is now completely shot.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lysander » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:37 pm

Let's see,

*JT Friendly's on E. Wash (or something similar)
*that one place by where E. Wash and Commercial come together (on the southeast side of the intersection, near the trucking company)
*that one on Fair Oaks near Commercial (technically not City of Madison but surrounded by City of Madison)
*The Rustic on Park St.
*Wiggie's. Not so much 'dive' as 'putrid shithole filled with assholes who deserve less'. It's below even my standards.
*The Pub on State St. Even without those old guys holding up the number cards (9.0 7.5 8.5, etc), it still feels crusty to me.

The Klinic kleans up and does a lot of bands, although I suppose their midday crowd is kind of divey. Also, the place by Oscar Mayer (Hoop's? Locker Room?) was closed the last I heard.

The list will be woefully inadequate without at least a couple of visits to each potential member, mind you.
lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jayo2007 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:48 am

The Villa Tap, Packers Avenue.
jayo2007

Busse's Markway

Postby Leoburt » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:18 pm

The diviest of dive bars is Busse's Markway on North Sherman. They only serve Bud and Miller, they have a childishly crude construction-paper Soviet flag on the front door advertising the smoking ban (get it?), and almost no one who hangs out there has all his or her teeth. You will get a serious stinkeye walking in there if people don't know you. One time, I walked in with a friend to play some darts and drink pitchers, and the entire bar (about ten blue-collar guys) was watching a John Wayne movie on the little TV above the bar, and all of them were really into it, laughing at the same moments, imitating the Duke, etc. It's just a totally different scene.

Edit: Oh, I just noticed that Isthmus just interviewed Mark Deadman, owner of Busse's and candidate for District 12 Alderperson.
Leoburt

Postby sdh » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:11 pm

The Union House is most definitely a dive. I drive past it on the way to work most mornings, and most mornings the door is already open by 8:30am and there is causally already someone hanging out outside smoking a cigarette. That place is where the pros go. I went there a few months ago with a friend and it was kind of a shock to the senses. Nothing but swill on tap, and the High Life tasted rancid. We were glad to get out of there. Though I bet that soon after Union Corners goes up that's going to change.

On the other hand the Ideal is in no way a dive bar. Their tap beer selection is way, way beyond what a dive bar would offer. If it's got Capital or Bell's on tap, it ain't a dive bar. That said, it fits in almost every other category. It even kind of smells like piss sometimes.

Thoughts on JT's on E. Washington? Decent beer... but dark and strangely carpeted with lots of Metal on the jukeb0x.
sdh

Postby MadMind » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:52 pm

lysander wrote:Also, the place by Oscar Mayer (Hoop's? Locker Room?) was closed the last I heard.

It might not be. They have a new spot on the web http://www.becksbarz.com/Lockerroom.htm and now that Bennett's on Park is gone, The Locker Room is advertising itself as "Madison's only third shift bar".
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ed Breakfast » Tue May 01, 2007 3:22 am

Ah, third shift bars. Power Hour between 6:30 and 7:30 AM.

The links to other establishments are kind of interesting as well.

Tailgators website wrote:Gator's everywhere,

which makes Tailgaters

unique and a one of a

kind in Madison.

3737 E. Washington Ave.

It's also kind of sad to see what will become of Ken's.
Ed Breakfast
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue May 01, 2007 7:42 am

You mean Ken's, on S. Butler?

I am wondering why the work on that thing is so slow!

And what is with that one tiny door, for an entrance?

Still, I worked on this side of the Square 30 years ago, and Ken's was my boss's favorite lunch hangout. So I can't wait to see the place done, so I can try it.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Tue May 01, 2007 11:29 am

Bwis53 wrote:You mean Ken's, on S. Butler?

I am wondering why the work on that thing is so slow!

And what is with that one tiny door, for an entrance?

Still, I worked on this side of the Square 30 years ago, and Ken's was my boss's favorite lunch hangout. So I can't wait to see the place done, so I can try it.

It's been an outdoor cafe with no service for too long now.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby regicide » Sat May 26, 2007 10:19 pm

As a Plaza-ite, I can verify that yes, around 10 or so, the kids come in and take over. I'd apologize, but they (or their parents) pay my rent. I'm also not sure we're really a dive bar. I think its an illusion created by our proximity to Mayor Dave's beloved "classy" joints. Before 10, all are welcome and if you can handle the kids later, by all means please stay.

ALL OPINIONS ARE MINE AND NOT NECESSARILY THOSE OF THE PLAZA TAVERN!!!!
regicide

Postby benfury » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:30 pm

not a dive but still skeezy:

club la mark, on hwy 51 (n. stoughton road)

their lunch specials will shoot right out your ass in about 1 hour. i usually went there before class at MATC, so i would get a bloody. bud light on tap exclusivly i belive. and they always have CMT on the tv. the 40 something lady bartender called me "hun" too.
benfury
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:09 pm

benfury wrote:not a dive but still skeezy:

club la mark, on hwy 51 (n. stoughton road)

their lunch specials will shoot right out your ass in about 1 hour. i usually went there before class at MATC, so i would get a bloody. bud light on tap exclusivly i belive. and they always have CMT on the tv. the 40 something lady bartender called me "hun" too.

Mmm.
Lesbians and race cars.
Can't beat it.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails