MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 38.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Takumi Japanese Restaurant (East Towne)

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Takumi Japanese Restaurant (East Towne)

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:53 pm

I couldn't tell from my drive-by around 8:45 tonight if Takumi was open yet. Anyone know? It looks ready to go, if it isn't up and running already.

The menu looks impressive, especially the Kobe beef. I'm eager to give this place a look-see.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:01 pm

"It opens tomorrow, Friday, April 6th" BUMP

"I should have noted that Takumi can be found at 4222 East Town Blvd, in the same strip as Pier 1 and Half-Price Books" BUMP ADDENDUM
Last edited by TheBookPolice on Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MLE » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Thanks for the heads up on that it even exists, Book Police!

I've been really wanting some sashimi lately, and when I was out and about yesterday - I was able to locate it by your brief location hint. I think I saw it near Noodles and Pier 1 a while back when they were just starting to remodel it, but am glad I found it again now!

My sister and I had lunch there - and I thought it was delightful. The miso soup was salty - like I like it, the tempura was crunchy and light, the sashimi was just beautiful, and my sister's chicken teriyaki bento box was lovely and tasty.

Finallay - Japanese lunch on the east side! I highly recommend it. The prices were fair - with the lunch specials being very affordable - and the staff and owner were great!
MLE
Forum Addict

Postby yesferatu » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:42 pm

I couldn't agree more.
I ordered take out over the phone and it was ready under 10 minutes.

The place was half empty when I got there and everyone was super nice.

It's well designed inside and you can hardly tell it's built into a garrish minimall. It would be good for dates and lunches and all kinds of crap.

I had a cali roll and salmon roll, both of which were fantastic. I'm not sure if they were actually small or if I was just really hungry.

It was like 9 bucks and I will be going there once a week from now on.

GO THERE NOW!!!
yesferatu

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:34 pm

Just finished our light takeout dinner. Wow.

First, the service and staff deserve high billing. I was greeted by two different people upon walking through the door. I was encouraged to sit at the bar, and was brought a glass of water with lemon within a minute. The staff was smiling, pleasant, and extraordinarily polite.

We got a salmon and avocado roll, and a spicy tuna roll. Normally I'm "eh" to "mildly happy" on salmon sushi, but this was very nice. It was a mild salmon flavor, and the avocado balanced nicely. The star, however, was the spicy tuna. There was, I believe, fried fish skin in the roll with a good helping of spicy raw tuna. So simple, but so spectacularly good.

Call me sheltered, but I've never had sushi good enough that the wasabi actually complimented rather than overpowered. This sushi, however, was that good. When the server/hostess handed me my bag, she said "We'll see you again soon." I wouldn't have even thought to say it then, but my immediate reaction was "Damn right."
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rachelz » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:30 am

I agree. It's so nice to have a good restaurant this close to our house - we got a carry out lunch special last week, and it was a great bargain and very good. I don't do the raw fish myself (I got the California roll), but my husband loves it and he was very impressed with the quality. I want to go there and try the noodle dishes.
Rachelz
Forum Addict

Postby Monzie » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:38 pm

Chalk up another satisfied customer here.

I'm pregnant, so I'm off the raw stuff for a few more months (*sniffle*) but the husband had the fatty tuna and said it was delish. We both enjoyed the futomaki, unagi maki, an alligator roll, and a couple other tasty assorted sushi bits. Husband's miso soup was excellent and we shared a nice plate of shumai. With a large Sapporo and a cup of green tea, our dinner bill was around $47....similar to what we'd pay at Wasabi....except we got friendlier service and no parking hassles.

Definitely going to head back there for lunch. At $8.50 for two rolls and a salad, they could easily replace Maharaja as my default Eastside noontime craving.
Monzie

Postby MLE » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:57 am

Damn. Second time must be the charm, as the lunch I had on opening day is pale in comparison to the dinner the fiance and I had there two weeks later. Easily the best presentation of a meal that I've ever seen. Normally, I just take the occasional photo of food that I make - but our two plates seriously made me long for my camera.

He has the vegeratian sushi dinner - which was the best assortment I've ever seen for the that type of meal - and I had sashimi. The salmon was like pink butter. Seriously.

So, yeah, now I want to try that two roll deal for lunch. Damn you, Takumi, for being so delicious!
MLE
Forum Addict

Postby Twofer4 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:02 pm

I had lunch at Takumi on Saturday and it was everything hyped here, and a bit more. Our group of four was quite impressed with the service and atmosphere. The various sushi rolls(spicy tuna, salmon, whitefish/cucumber..and a few more I don't recall) were fresh and tasty.(and in some cases smooth) The tempura shrimp udon was enjoyed right down to the last drop. Prices seem to be right in line with other Japanese restaurants. The interesting menu and first impressions will definitely bring me back again. Hopefully this week in fact!
Twofer4
Forum Addict

Postby Chuck_Schick » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:57 am

BookCop, I can't thank you enough for hepping me to this joint. My wife and I went Friday night and ordered waaaaaaaaay too much food because we just couldn't narrow it down. All of it was sublime.

It may be too early to tell, as I'll need to go back and order everything else on the menu, but if subsequent visits compare to this first one, I think this place will take the prize as the best sushi joint in town.

Oh, and the service was scary good.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:23 am

Chuck - glad to be of service!

Interesting point of note about Takumi. I was there last week (Wednesday, maybe?) and was going to get some takeout. We came in and sat at the bar, and had decided that we'd order a beer for the wait.

Now, I don't speak Japanese, but I have a Japanese friend and took a course or two on Japanese history, so I know how the pronunciation works. Yet with all this in mind, there was a substantial communication breakdown when I tried to order two Sapporo for me and the SO. The girl seemed sure that I was saying "separate rolls." So we went without the beer. No big deal.

I'm not sure what the solution might be, because I don't want to be "that guy" that nervously points at the menu at a non-European restaurant out of fear of the language; I'm cool with the language. Just FYI, I guess. Be patient when ordering.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rachelz » Wed May 02, 2007 8:07 pm

We went there for dinner tonight - absolutely freakin' fabulous. I wish I had taken a camera (which I have never wanted to do before).

The waitress, who was incredibly nice, encouraged my husband to get one of the night's special, which was orange clam. The dish was a very large clam that was alive shortly before being sliced up and brought to the table. The presentation was incredible. Definitely photo worthy - a large clam shell, set on a bed of shredded carrot, with sliced clam set on a bed of shredded daikon in the clam shell, artfully served with three pieces of clam sashimi, ginger, wasabi - for less than $14. It was, IMO, easily a $25 dish on presentation alone. My husband thought it was incredible. I would definitely recommend trying the specials of the evening (for instance, one of their other specials was "steamed monkfish liver")

I don't care for the texture of raw meat/fish, so I opted for the beef soba noodle dish. It was great - I finally found a restaurant in Madison, and close to my house to boot, that I will want to go back to again and again.

The waitress was wonderful - it was just an all around superb experience, one of the best I have had in my first year living in Madison. My husband and I cannot wait to go back and try the kobe beef (has anyone tried it yet?) and I want to try the seafood noodle dish.
Rachelz
Forum Addict

Postby towanda » Sat May 05, 2007 2:50 am

Went there and had the veggie sushi. The sushi was good. The restaurant is nice, but I can do without the TV blaring into the dining room.
towanda
Forum Addict

Postby Violet_Skye » Sat May 05, 2007 2:37 pm

Sooooo excited to go here now, when my daughter comes home from South Dakota in a couple of weeks!!! My yoga instructor had raved about it as well...so glad to hear that everyone agrees. YAY!
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cubanat » Sun May 06, 2007 9:47 pm

Finally ate here and it was very nice. I was expecting "stellar sushi of gods type of food" based on the previous posts so maybe I over-expected but overall it was a solid sushi restaurant. The prices were fine ($11.50 or so for a 3 roll lunch special can't really be beat)--in line with other local joints. What really won me over though was the 1/2 pound of crab legs as a supplement for $5.25. Presented simply with drawn butter & a ginger vinegar type of dip--it was great and not too $$. The age-tofu was decent, beef negimaki was good, the miso soup & house salad was ok and the special rolls we ordered were good as well. The rolls needed more spice to the items listed on menu as "spicey" though--they were almost bland. Service was almost too nice in that they tag-teamed us and hovered a lot--in an eager to please sort of way. I wish it was closer to where I lived just for the crab legs alone. Well worth the visit if you are in the area.
cubanat
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews