MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 75.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

The Fork & The Spoon: Open!

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

The Fork & The Spoon: Open!

Postby cubanat » Thu May 03, 2007 1:15 pm

They were open, yes! Went back for lunch today and it was very good. Pleasant hostess/order taker/server set us up. Ordered at the counter. Mac & cheese, bolognese, grilled veggies & 2 toffees from Nilda's Chocolates. The food was very nice. The focaccia that came with the veg, & pastas was fresh, salted & tasty. The portions were fair and ample. The prices were outstanding IMO ($2.99 alone for the toffees was a bit much but they are local and pretty good as a small dessert). All of the above and a can of soda for like $22. As we left we bought fresh pasta on "clearance" for $1 a bag from the store. All in all a very nice experience. Try it if they are serving--just call ahead!
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu May 03, 2007 3:59 pm

For the uninitiated, where might this eatery be?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu May 03, 2007 6:15 pm

E. Wilson Street. Take a left when you see Mother Fools, and then a right onto Wilson. Go past the Badger Taxi yard and there you are.

The time I went there the guy behind the counter acted like the taking of my order was the most tedious thing he had ever experienced. There were no clean tables; I had to bus the previous customers' dishes just so I would have a place to sit down. When the guy brought out my food he wandered around for about five minutes before finally bringing it to my table. I didn't know it was physically possible to move that slowly, and with such an absence of purpose, until I witnessed it with my own eyes.

Maybe through some weird negative synchronicity every employee on that shift was having a triple-low in their biorhythms or something, and it has since improved.

But given that there's already two more-or-less indifferent Italian/Pizza restaurants within two blocks of there, I just haven't had a ton of incentive to give F&S another spin.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Fri May 04, 2007 8:05 am

marvell wrote: But given that there's already two more-or-less indifferent Italian/Pizza restaurants within two blocks of there, I just haven't had a ton of incentive to give F&S another spin.

What do you mean by "More or less indifferent?" that suggests "bad" to me. I've been meaning to try Fork and Spoon but haven't got around to it. According to my foodie friends it started off more upscale and has had to come down a bit. This may not be a good thing.

Recently I've had quite good pizza at LaRoccas and some excellent lasagne at Papa Phil's onRegent st. So yeah,granted the feild is already crowded for Italian.
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Fri May 04, 2007 8:22 am

GenieU wrote:
marvell wrote: But given that there's already two more-or-less indifferent Italian/Pizza restaurants within two blocks of there, I just haven't had a ton of incentive to give F&S another spin.

What do you mean by "More or less indifferent?" that suggests "bad" to me. I've been meaning to try Fork and Spoon but haven't got around to it. According to my foodie friends it started off more upscale and has had to come down a bit. This may not be a good thing.

Recently I've had quite good pizza at LaRoccas and some excellent lasagne at Papa Phil's onRegent st. So yeah,granted the feild is already crowded for Italian.

Good luck trying it.....see here.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cubanat » Fri May 04, 2007 11:17 am

Henry Vilas wrote:For the uninitiated, where might this eatery be?

It's on Wilson. Turn onto Ingersoll fro mwilly St. & make a right onto Wilson. It's on the right hand side of the street.

It is casual, friendly, & tasty--all at a reasonable price! Need I say more. My post on the other site was regarding the practice of not keeping updated hours posted and things of that nature (not being open or closing earlier than what is posted on the windows). After eating here I would dine there again in a second. Bottomline is it's well worth a try.
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby Marvell » Sat May 05, 2007 12:20 pm

GenieU wrote:

What do you mean by "More or less indifferent?"

Roman Candle = more indifferent.

LaRocca's = less indifferent.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat May 05, 2007 12:34 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:For the uninitiated, where might this eatery be?

Here.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews