MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

dear local networks

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

dear local networks

Postby depinmad » Fri May 04, 2007 10:16 am

please believe me when i say i'd rather have my house hit by a tornado than have to endure another night of non hd broadcasts in deference to your crappy weather update scrolls.
FUCK YOU
I WANT MY HEROES, LOST, AND BOSTON LEGAL IN HD ALL THE FUCKING TIME
NOT JUST WHEN THE WEATHER IS NICE OR THERE'S NO LOCAL ELECTION.
thanks in advance.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Fri May 04, 2007 10:20 am

Anyone who is entertained less by non HD-TV needs to seriously examine their soul.

Can anyone explain to me why TV shows need to be in anything resembling high definition?
And how can anyone stomach Boston Legal, no matter what the picture quality?
lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri May 04, 2007 10:28 am

If you ever saw Bill Shatner's sexy man-breasts in HD, you wouldn't have to ask the question, my friend.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Fri May 04, 2007 10:30 am

lordofthecockrings wrote:Anyone who is entertained less by non HD-TV needs to seriously examine their soul.

Can anyone explain to me why TV shows need to be in anything resembling high definition?
And how can anyone stomach Boston Legal, no matter what the picture quality?

I agree. Entertainment should only be delivered using morse code and cave paintings.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Fri May 04, 2007 2:01 pm

lordofthecockrings wrote:Can anyone explain to me why TV shows need to be in anything resembling high definition?

I agree.
It's like country music on CD.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri May 04, 2007 2:15 pm

I assume everyone who thinks it is silly also rents full screen versions of dvds, right?
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Fri May 04, 2007 2:18 pm

TAsunder wrote:I assume everyone who thinks it is silly also rents full screen versions of dvds, right?
depinmad specifically said he wanted to watch TV, not films. Oranges and apples.
A film that isn't buthered is better than one that is, but how is Lost any better HD than through rabbit ears? It's the same exact show either way.
lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri May 04, 2007 2:36 pm

lordofthecockrings wrote:
TAsunder wrote:I assume everyone who thinks it is silly also rents full screen versions of dvds, right?
depinmad specifically said he wanted to watch TV, not films. Oranges and apples.
A film that isn't buthered is better than one that is, but how is Lost any better HD than through rabbit ears? It's the same exact show either way.

It's not oranges and apples unless you are going make some sort of elitist argument that TV is crap and therefore watching crap in 4:3 vs 16:9 makes no difference. An HD show is filmed in widescreen and reframed to 4:3 just like a full screen DVD. It's worse, actually, because a full screen DVD tends to look MUCH cleaner than an SD tv broadcast.

Have you never seen anything in HD before or something? I'm not really sure why this is so hard to comprehend. Nevermind the most annoying aspect which wasn't mentioned - that in addition to being 4:3 instead of 16:9, they put the bug within the SD content range even though there are two huge black bars on the outside that have plenty of room for the bugs. Thus we see in about 1/4 of our screen a giant map of wisconsin with a thunderstorm WATCH two counties away.

BTW, rabbit ears work for HD too. In fact, it will look better with rabbit ear received broadcasts than through cable, generally.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Fri May 04, 2007 2:41 pm

TAsunder wrote:
An HD show is filmed in widescreen and reframed to 4:3 just like a full screen DVD.
If that's true, than I apologize and retract my assertion.
But I've watched plenty of shows widescreen - ER comes to mind - on my regular non-HD TV. I thought that's just how they were broadcast these days.
lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Fri May 04, 2007 2:45 pm

TAsunder wrote:It's not oranges and apples unless you are going make some sort of elitist argument that TV is crap and therefore watching crap in 4:3 vs 16:9 makes no difference.

Ten years ago last month in The Onion:

High-Definition Television Promises Sharper Crap

WASHINGTON, DCâ€â€
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri May 04, 2007 4:47 pm

TAsunder wrote:
An HD show is filmed in widescreen and reframed to 4:3 just like a full screen DVD.
But I've watched plenty of shows widescreen - ER comes to mind - on my regular non-HD TV. I thought that's just how they were broadcast these days.

There are some shows that do that, but not most.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Fri May 04, 2007 4:52 pm

TAsunder wrote:
TAsunder wrote:

There are some shows that do that, but not most.

NBC appears to put much more of their programming in widescreen on their NTSC broadcast, than do the other nets.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Fri May 04, 2007 7:14 pm

widescreen and hd are not the same thing.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Return to TV