MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Sushi Muramoto @ Hilldale

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Postby dstol62 » Thu May 10, 2007 1:50 am

Went last Monday...The ribeye was tasty, but had been pre-sliced and formed into a circle for presentation purposes. When meat is sliced, its temperature tends to fall if not served quickly. Unfortunately, it ended up being served on the warm side of room temperature. The poor waiter was trying very hard, and was in over his head with regard to the number of tables he had to manage, so I elected not to send it back.

I plan to return for lunch, with sushi as the main event....
dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby shelly » Thu May 10, 2007 10:18 am

We went last weekend and really liked it. I don't claim to know a lot about cooking, and I know even less about sushi, so this is one of those reviews you can ignore if you are a serious foodie.

We got there around 6:30 on Sat and it was about 1/3 full, but by the time we left it was completely full. That made it a little loud, what with the high ceilings and open floor plan.

The sushi was very good. We especially liked the inside out rolls, the veggie tempura and the asparagus rolls were very very good. The "regular" maki rolls were also fine, we got avodaco and pickled radish (or something like that), but not as excellent as the inside out rolls.

We rarely eat any meat, so sushi isn't often our choice of meals, but it was very nice to be able to go to Sushi Muramoto and be able to partake of the whole experience without desperately scanning the menu for the one or two vegetarian-friendly options.

We were also pleasantly surprised with the volume of sushi we got with each order, we ordered waaaayyy too many things, and ended up with lots left over. Next time we will order two options each and be very satisfied. At their prices, it would not be too expensive, as it was it was only $60 for two beers, an appetizer, and loads of sushi.
shelly
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu May 10, 2007 2:22 pm

Shelly, what veggies were in the veg tempura roll? I noticed that most places here use predominantly sweet potato. Veg tempura rolls are my backup roll in case I'm uncertain of the freshness of the fish at a place.

Next time try the gourd... we liked it more than the pickled radish.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby shelly » Fri May 11, 2007 8:50 pm

Umm.... ummm.... I don't even know what veggies were in the veggie tempura roll, but it was good.

My husband says there was asparagus..... but he doesn't remember what else.

Now I am embarassed. I guess I should not quit my day job and become a food critic.
shelly
Forum God/Goddess

World class sushi

Postby kulgar » Tue May 15, 2007 10:57 am

In answer to another post for a restaurant far far away....I've eaten sushi in Japanese ports where the fleets come in: anago (and oysters) in Miyajima, unagi in Hamamatsu, fugu testes (yuck even before I knew what they were) in Shizuoka, and finest kind squid noodles, fresh off the boat and alive five minutes ago, in a fisherman's house in Shiretoko. Add in four years of Japanese department store basement food court carryout, various level sushi bars and several times at very high end (think geisha singing and dancing) Tokyo restaurants. Supplement with Shiro's in Belltown or Nishino in Madison Park in Seattle, various in LA and SF, and surprisingly good sushi on KLM somewhere over the English Channel. And every Madison "Japanese" restaurant. This list is obnoxious but someone, somewhere, questioned my expertise and experience with nigiri-zushi.

From those experiences and from the input of various friends with similar backgrounds, to put it simply, Sushi Muramoto has world class sushi.

Shinji Muramoto has set up a supply chain that brings in the worlds' best raw ingredients (even the rice matters), has high standards of preparation and presentation, and consistently produces world class sushi. It can be expensive for certain selections but as you can tell from the wine prices and some of the rolls, Shinji prices reasonably. The raw ingredients for high end sushi are expensive but the prices are not out of line for an exquisite product.

The restaurant also has an extensive menu with vegetarian and fully cooked courses for the less adventurous. I'm "pumping" this restaurant because I love sushi and don't get to Japan any more....I'd like to eat here for a long time into the future.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby cubanat » Tue May 15, 2007 2:21 pm

Kulgore do you work for Muramoto? This is getting ridiculous. We all know that they have good food. We all know that the prices are in line with other sushi restos in Madison. This has been discussed ad nauseum. Please move on with your vast head full of knowledge and b.s.
cubanat
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews