MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Did Jeanne Hoffman get a job that she is not qualified for?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Did Jeanne Hoffman get a job that she is not qualified for?

Postby bluethedog » Fri May 11, 2007 5:58 pm

Just read Brenda's blog.

If this is true (that she is unqualified) then I'm pissed. It's too bad that Brenda is involved with an ongoing dispute with Mayor Dave because this seems like a good reason to get upset.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Did Jeanne Hoffman get a job that she is not qualified f

Postby camaleon » Fri May 11, 2007 6:22 pm

bluethedog wrote:Just read Brenda's blog.

If this is true (that she is unqualified) then I'm pissed. It's too bad that Brenda is involved with an ongoing dispute with Mayor Dave because this seems like a good reason to get upset.

Looks like Brenda is using the same tactic Zach used to express his objections to Mike Quieto working in the Clerk's office by making a public stink about it. Seems it might have made more sense for her to start by taking her concerns to Human Resources or others involved in the hiring decision instead of publicly discrediting city staff.

What's too bad isn't so much Brenda's dispute with the mayor. Rather, what's too bad is the tactic she chose to raise what may or may not (knowing nothing about the other applicants and nothing about Jeanne's qualifications beyond what Brenda posted) be a very real concern.

This doesn't sound like the way an elected official claiming to have a whole lot of integrity should go about handling her concerns with city staff.
camaleon
Forum Addict

Postby bluethedog » Fri May 11, 2007 6:46 pm

camaleon wrote:This doesn't sound like the way an elected official claiming to have a whole lot of integrity should go about handling her concerns with city staff.

Of course you're right...let's address that right now: Bad Brenda! Bad!

Ok, now back to the real issue.

Given what was on her application, how the hell did she even get her foot in the door? Does everyone that applies get an interview? I've been applying to jobs lately and for the life of me can't get an interview because I'm "only" qualified on 3 of 4 things.

Like I said, based on what is in her application, she is qualified for nothing (if what Brenda says is true). Yet she not only gets an interview, she gets the job!

Does anyone know if all the applications are public record?
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Brenda Konkel » Fri May 11, 2007 10:57 pm

camaleon wrote:Looks like Brenda is using the same tactic Zach used to express his objections to Mike Quieto working in the Clerk's office by making a public stink about it. Seems it might have made more sense for her to start by taking her concerns to Human Resources or others involved in the hiring decision instead of publicly discrediting city staff.

How do you know that I didn't do that?

camaleon wrote:What's too bad isn't so much Brenda's dispute with the mayor. Rather, what's too bad is the tactic she chose to raise what may or may not (knowing nothing about the other applicants and nothing about Jeanne's qualifications beyond what Brenda posted) be a very real concern.
How do you know I didn't do my homework?

camaleon wrote:This doesn't sound like the way an elected official claiming to have a whole lot of integrity should go about handling her concerns with city staff.

What other way would you suggest. I asked questions. I got information that they would provide to me. I have to wait until Monday or Tuesday to get additional information. Even tho they promised, and didn't deliver, the information to the press by 4 pm today.

Oh, and Lisa, you forget, I know who you are on thedailypage. Tell Dewar/the mayor to get a new tool or just admit that is what you are.
Brenda Konkel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby camaleon » Fri May 11, 2007 11:54 pm

Brenda Konkel wrote:
camaleon wrote:Looks like Brenda is using the same tactic Zach used to express his objections to Mike Quieto working in the Clerk's office by making a public stink about it. Seems it might have made more sense for her to start by taking her concerns to Human Resources or others involved in the hiring decision instead of publicly discrediting city staff.

How do you know that I didn't do that?

If you had done that, I would think you would have included the results of your inquiries on your blog. You are well aware that I don't believe it's appropriate for you as an alder to publicly shame city staff. I'm guessing you wouldn't be too happy if one of TRC's board members was displeased with something you did on the job and posted it on the internet or asked some reporter to write about it instead of talking directly to you. I think it has a little something to do with a thing called professionalism.

Brenda Konkel wrote:
camaleon wrote:What's too bad isn't so much Brenda's dispute with the mayor. Rather, what's too bad is the tactic she chose to raise what may or may not (knowing nothing about the other applicants and nothing about Jeanne's qualifications beyond what Brenda posted) be a very real concern.
How do you know I didn't do my homework?

I think you misunderstood me there. The knowing nothing about the other applicants and Jeanne's qualifications was referring to my own knowledge and my own inability to judge whether or not she is or is not qualified, not yours. I'm quite certain that you know everything there is to know about anything.

Brenda Konkel wrote:

What other way would you suggest. I asked questions. I got information that they would provide to me. I have to wait until Monday or Tuesday to get additional information. Even tho they promised, and didn't deliver, the information to the press by 4 pm today.

I could be wrong, but I don't suppose the sky would have fallen on the city between now and Monday or Tuesday if you'd waited to get the additional information before sharing this earth shattering tidbit of information with the public.

Brenda Konkel wrote:Oh, and Lisa, you forget, I know who you are on thedailypage. Tell Dewar/the mayor to get a new tool or just admit that is what you are.

I didn't forget, and I probably should have known that you'd jump at the opportunity to identify me to others. Regarding Dewar and the mayor, you really must get over this paranoia. If I had spoken to either one of them recently, I would not think you a likely topic of conversation. Contrary to what you apparently believe, everyone else's world does not revolve around you.
camaleon
Forum Addict

Postby bluethedog » Sat May 12, 2007 7:57 am

camaleon wrote: You are well aware that I don't believe it's appropriate for you as an alder to publicly shame city staff.

Well I as 1 member of the public appreciate it. Brenda, stop worrying so much about being "nice". It sounds like there were too many "nice" people that voted yes on the streetcar study. The public doesn't need nice, the public needs smart, involved, committed, etc.

Now, where would a member of the public go to peruse all the applications that were made for this job? Again, I can't even believe Jeanne Hoffman got her foot in the door.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Brenda Konkel » Sat May 12, 2007 8:40 am

camaleon wrote: You are well aware that I don't believe it's appropriate for you as an alder to publicly shame city staff.

I didn't publicly shame any city staff did I? If so, who? It wasn't a particular staff person that did anything - it's the system.

Brenda Konkel wrote:I could be wrong, but I don't suppose the sky would have fallen on the city between now and Monday or Tuesday if you'd waited to get the additional information before sharing this earth shattering tidbit of information with the public.

You really believe that information would change anything. I have the application, resume and additional materials of the person who got the job, there is nothing there to indicate that she should have even gotten an interview. City staff told me architects and engineers applied for the job, some didn't even get an interview, clearly they had more skills that relate to this job. Having the names of those folks won't change anything.
Brenda Konkel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby camaleon » Sun May 13, 2007 9:46 am

Brenda Konkel wrote:

I didn't publicly shame any city staff did I? If so, who? It wasn't a particular staff person that did anything - it's the system.

The implication here is that the city's hiring process was not followed. While you do not name the city staff who made this hiring decision, you certainly have made your displeasure with this individual known. Is your concern really with the system? Or isn't it really more about whether someone bypassed the system in this case?
camaleon
Forum Addict

Postby Brenda Konkel » Sun May 13, 2007 11:34 am

camaleon wrote:The implication here is that the city's hiring process was not followed. While you do not name the city staff who made this hiring decision, you certainly have made your displeasure with this individual known. Is your concern really with the system? Or isn't it really more about whether someone bypassed the system in this case?

Wait, first you don't want me to publicly shame city employees, now, you want me to name names? Which do you want?
Brenda Konkel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby camaleon » Sun May 13, 2007 12:22 pm

Brenda Konkel wrote:
camaleon wrote:The implication here is that the city's hiring process was not followed. While you do not name the city staff who made this hiring decision, you certainly have made your displeasure with this individual known. Is your concern really with the system? Or isn't it really more about whether someone bypassed the system in this case?

Wait, first you don't want me to publicly shame city employees, now, you want me to name names? Which do you want?

Not sure what you just read, but I definitely did not request that you name names anywhere in that post.
camaleon
Forum Addict

Postby Randy New Man » Sun May 13, 2007 1:16 pm

Meow.
Randy New Man

Postby Pogoagogo » Sun May 13, 2007 4:02 pm

Jeanne's a nice person for sure, but I remember thinking the very same thing when the announcement was made; How on earth is she qualified. I also wondered if this position was posted to the general public.

I've worked professionally as a Human Resources Manager for 10 years. I qualify candidates daily and select those for interview based on qualifications they list on their resume. It's never personal, but looking at Jeanne's resume, and the job requirements, I'd never have selected her for an interview. Unless of course, my boss handed me the resume and said "can you do me a favor and look at this person for this job..."

It smells of favoritism and rewarding a loyal soldier based strictly on the facts.

Thanks for writing about this Brenda.

I suppose I should go ahead an apply for all those city engineering jobs now that anyone can be selected regardless of applicable experience. Then maybe I can sue because I didn't get an interview..

Or perhaps I can look at that great cardiologist position at UW Hospital, shit, I KNOW where the heart is and what it does. That should be enough based on city HR policy.

But then again, maybe Jeanne stayed in a Holiday inn express last night?
Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Sun May 13, 2007 5:58 pm

Konkel did the right thing in this case. I would stand behind her on this one. Anyone who is defending this gross abuse of power and wasteful use of the tax payer's time/money needs to be investigated. Trolley Dave is handing out political favors and its a good thing he is being called on it. Where was "The Crapital Times?" There was no excuse for this hire. An engineer or architect should have been hired for this job, not some crony political insider.

Call the mayor's office and demand the current hire be canned in front of the camera on city channel 12. Then reprimand Trolley Dave. This guy is corrupt.
pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Mon May 14, 2007 8:37 am

Based on the qualifications listed for the job it is clear (to me) that Hoffman must have gotten some sort of preferential treatment.

Either the job posting should have been re-listed and extended with a different set of qualifications (more similar to an admin position) to obtain a pool of applicants to be fairly reviewed, or the position should have been filled by with someone having the originally intended A/E qualifications.

I can't help but wonder if the “red-facedâ€Â
spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jattpw » Mon May 14, 2007 8:58 am

What brenda presented was a portion of a cover letter. It may not have provided the complete breadth of the applicants experience.

Perhaps Jeanine has other impressive experience in taking on a job having to do with engeneering for which she was not totally qualified and then excelled. Or perhaps not.

And lisa is right brenda, show some fricken class. This could have been brought up internally first and then, if that didn't work, I am sure a real news source would have hopped all over it and informed the public.
Jattpw
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government