Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
breese stevens field
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Goodwill, what the #$$@??

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Goodwill, what the #$$@??

Postby garmonbozia » Sat May 19, 2007 11:57 pm

So I am moving out of the country next month, and I have lots of stuff to get rid of. Nothing good quality, mostly your standard issue particleboard stuff, taken well care of. Including some working appliances, they could be worth around 300 dolars, so not bad for a charity that takes them.

I am too lazy and busy to try to sell them one by one, nor I want a lot of strangers coming into my place to look at the items. Moreover, I decided to do some good, so I called Goodwill to schedule a pickup. They were closed, but the message stated that if my load is smaller than a 24 food truckload, they cannot pick it up.

I am not familiar with moving stuff, but when I look at Uhaul's site, they state that this is a standard 3 bedroom apartment size. Am I doing something wrong? I am donating almost everything I have in my 1 bedroom, except for the bed I am leaving for the incoming tenant; but this obviously is not good enough for Goodwill.

How can a single woman with no vehicle whatsoever could get rid her stuff without letting too many strangers into her apartment? Is St Vinnies as picky? I picked Goodwill because I feel their practices seem to be the least discriminatory. I know gas costs, but 24 feet truck, come on? Who will donate this much stuff at once, unless they are donating furniture from their dead grandfathers estate?
garmonbozia

Postby bluethedog » Sun May 20, 2007 7:21 am

Sorry about Goodwill. This doesn't solve the strangers thing but you could give the stuff away - at least it would be quicker than trying to sell it.

3 sites to help you do that are:

Madison Craigslist free stuff

Madison Stuff Exchange free items

Madison & Dane County Freecycle
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Sun May 20, 2007 10:41 am

Easter Seals will pickup your donations, even if it is less than a full 3 bedroom apt.
Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Sun May 20, 2007 11:16 am

If you're moving out of the country, what do you care about the strangers? Freecycle is a great option if you don't need / want the tax deduction.

St Vinnie's will pick up, but they do have a set schedule when they pick up in which neighborhoods, which may or may not gel with your schedule.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Sun May 20, 2007 11:35 am

barney wrote:If you're moving out of the country, what do you care about the strangers?

I'd think that would be obvious, but since it's not:

If you use any of the sites I mentioned, I recommend you have someone else there with you when the person comes to get it. Especially if you're a female.

Just to be safe. You don't know these people from Adam.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sun May 20, 2007 1:19 pm

If you don't care about the tax deduction, I've had wonderful luck setting stuff on the curb with a "free" sign. The further from trash day, the better chance of it going to someone who will use it. Take it a step further and post the stuff on craigslist "free stuff" saying your address and that it's on the curb. Anything decent will be gone in no time.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun May 20, 2007 8:28 pm

St. Vinnies will take less than a whole truckload.

When you call, they will ask what you have so they can decide if it's what they want or not. But it doesn't have to be a huge load.

I do not think they take large appliances (no stoves or fridges), but they do take stuff like clean toaster ovens, blenders, and coffee makers.

They sell particle-board shelving and furniture, so I assume they accept them for pickup.

I have left many things on the curb with a "free" tag, and they're nearly always gone overnight. The Madison Freecycle list on Yahoo is highly active, and if you do the "it's on the curb, come and get it" thing you do not have to deal face to face with questionable picker-uppers.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Sun May 20, 2007 9:53 pm

bluethedog wrote:
barney wrote:If you're moving out of the country, what do you care about the strangers?

I'd think that would be obvious, but since it's not:

If you use any of the sites I mentioned, I recommend you have someone else there with you when the person comes to get it. Especially if you're a female.

Just to be safe. You don't know these people from Adam.

Well, yeah, duh. (I assumed that part.) I was referring to having strangers over casing your house or something (but, I'm a little paranoid).
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby garmonbozia » Mon May 21, 2007 12:30 pm

Thanks everyone. I just wanted to give an update.

So I called Goodwill, regardless, and no one answered all morning. I left a message and begged that even if they don't want to pick up they should call me back so that I can arrange something else; of course they never got back to me. Then I called St. Vinnies and boom, 10 minute conversation and they are on their way (not today of course, but as a figure of speech). What was I even thinking trying to call Goodwill?

From our conversation, I thought they will take everything. If not, I will do the curbside leaving. I am guessing, once sold they should bring at least 300 net profit. I don't really understand Goodwill's business practices. I guess operating big reduces overhead but how often will they get donations that could fit a full truck? Oh well, it is still a win-win situation. I don't have to spend a few thousand dollars to move stuff that I could easily repurchase for a fraction of that, and St Vinnies will use the returns for good cause. Subtract the gas emissions that are prevented by avoiding a cross country furniture move, we can even say win-win-win.

Thanks again. And now that we are already talking, au revoir everyone. I will miss being a foron. Who knows, I might just peek in once in a while and talk about the good old days when there was just one Great Dane and no Trader Ho in town.

Hugs
garmonbozia

Postby eriedasch » Tue May 22, 2007 3:44 pm

garmonbozia wrote:I don't really understand Goodwill's business practices. I guess operating big reduces overhead but how often will they get donations that could fit a full truck?

I've been to Goodwill to drop off stuff on a saturday and sometimes the line is clear out into the street. I would bet most of their donations are brought right to them and unless you have something really good or enough crap to fill their truck it is not worth their while to make a lot of pickups. Not defending their practices, but just saying...
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Catch All