MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 43.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Takumi Japanese Restaurant (East Towne)

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Postby Chuck_Schick » Wed May 16, 2007 3:38 pm

TAsunder wrote:What sort of kobe dishes does takumi have? An actual full-sized steak??

Yes. A 5 oz. tenderloin, I believe, along with one less expensive dish whose description I can't recall.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed May 16, 2007 3:47 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:
TAsunder wrote:What sort of kobe dishes does takumi have? An actual full-sized steak??

Yes. A 5 oz. tenderloin, I believe, along with one less expensive dish whose description I can't recall.

The other one is a sort of yakiniku (or whatever they call it in China, kulgar) preparation, with the beef sliced into thin strips and grilled over stone. I think the serving size for this version is 2 oz., but I could be wrong. Prices are in the $55/$35 range between the two preparations.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

carbon monoxide tuna

Postby kulgar » Fri May 18, 2007 10:15 am

The color of carbon monoxide tuna just looks too red, like a cherry popsickle. REALLY, REALLY fresh tuna looks identical or nearly identical. But tuna almost immediately starts to brown out a bit so anything you see that is cherry red has most likely been treated. Too bad the government won't force the food distributors to label this stuff so we could at least know the difference before we bite into some mealy, old tasteless flesh.

Couple of links on the practice:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/06/dinin ... &position=

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06050/657804.stm

My previous point that the sushi chef makes a difference may be validated by the strong feelings, mine included, that Edo Monona Drive is better than Edo Park St. I'm assuming they are related and probably share the same sources and, if so, the chef makes the difference in the sushi.

I fled Wasabi after the CO tuna discussions and also because they had changed the rice recipe which made it chewy. Edo Monona Drive is too far to ride on my bicycle so I most often went to Edo Park St, it was the best alternative at the time. But I do enjoy the view and will chance Wasabi again some day soon.

I only ate at Ginza downtown once, the sushi was fine but the place deserted (which is probably why they closed recently.)
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri May 18, 2007 10:23 am

Why do you assume the various Japanese restaurants with Edo in their names are related? Edo is the old name for Tokyo. Would you assume that Chinese restaurants with Peking or with Hong Kong in their names have a common ownership?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri May 18, 2007 10:33 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Why do you assume the various Japanese restaurants with Edo in their names are related? Edo is the old name for Tokyo. Would you assume that Chinese restaurants with Peking or with Hong Kong in their names have a common ownership?

Well, he assumes because he knows better than everyone else. You know the other definition of "assumption," right? That was kulgar's mom.

Of course, it's too bad that his assumption is correct. It would be much better if he were making an even bigger ass of himself.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Fri May 18, 2007 11:45 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Why do you assume the various Japanese restaurants with Edo in their names are related? Edo is the old name for Tokyo. Would you assume that Chinese restaurants with Peking or with Hong Kong in their names have a common ownership?

We've been over this before 'round here, Henry. They do share owners, as evidenced by the fact they share a yellow pages ad (not exactly deep research) and a take-out menu.

I mean, there are plenty of reasons to criticize this know-it-all jackass. May as well pick one that'll stick.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Mon May 21, 2007 9:53 am

Know-it-all jackass or not, he does make some good points, particularly about the CO tuna. I've heard that complained about by other sushi/sashimi afficionados and sushi fishmongers.

I will disagree with the assessment of either Edo as "decent." I've been to the Park one about 5 times - everyone kept telling me how great it was even after the first four disasters - and every single time someone in my party (usually me) got sick.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cubanat » Mon May 21, 2007 9:56 am

maybe it was the hidden bacon in the carbon mono roll got you sick each time...
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby Chuck_Schick » Mon May 21, 2007 1:44 pm

Mono Roll would be a great name for a Japanese punk band.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cubanat » Mon May 21, 2007 2:39 pm

how 'bout "hidden bacon" or "carbon bacon?" playing their smash hit "roll out the toro" (to the tune of "roll out the barrell" song)...
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby NullDevice » Tue May 22, 2007 10:34 am

cubanat wrote:maybe it was the hidden bacon in the carbon mono roll got you sick each time...

C'mon, <i>everything's</i> better with bacon.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue May 22, 2007 10:38 am

NullDevice wrote:
cubanat wrote:maybe it was the hidden bacon in the carbon mono roll got you sick each time...

C'mon, everything's better with bacon.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Wed May 23, 2007 2:24 pm

I own that cookbook. The "bacon brittle" recipe is terrifying and wonderful.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews