MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, October 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 40.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Malaysian cuisine is absent in Madison's restaurants...

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Malaysian cuisine is absent in Madison's restaurants...

Postby dstol62 » Wed May 23, 2007 8:46 pm

Since the food section of the forum has run the subject gamut in recent weeks from hidden bacon to carbon monoxide in tuna, I thought I'd run this up the following question up the flagpole. It occured to me that with the myriad of ethnic food restaurants in the area, there is not one which serves Malaysian cuisine. I don't think it's because there wouldn't be a demand. Can anyone think of any other cuisine or theme that they would like to see here?
dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby garosenb » Wed May 23, 2007 10:20 pm

Holy shit! Madison needs a dim sum restaurant. NOW!
garosenb

Postby cubanat » Wed May 23, 2007 11:16 pm

The only hope we have for dim sum I'm afraid is in the hands of the owner of Imperial Garden West. He does the meats @ the bbq counter at his gas station well and he' sais he planning to start dim sum eventually in his resto...

The dim sum at Hong Kong Cafe & the place on Midvale is a joke. Not even worth trying or to satisfy the craving...

Malaysian food is popping up all over NY. Maybe in 5 years or so we'll get it...Hey, we've got bagels now!
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby Bruno » Wed May 23, 2007 11:37 pm

Ditto on the dim sum. And while I'd personally love a Filipino restaurant in town, I don't think most Westerners are ready for a lot of traditional Filipino fare (dinuguan, balut, or durian, anyone?).

But damn would I love a food cart selling adobo, pancit, lumpia, and mango smoothies. Or shit, just some place that sells sansrival. You haven't truly lived until you've had good sansrival. Damn...

*creams jeans just thinking about sansrival*
Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Wed May 23, 2007 11:59 pm

Canadian food. We need some of that in this town. I love dishes that slip pork into maple syrup :D
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bruno » Thu May 24, 2007 12:00 am

nevermore wrote:Canadian food. We need some of that in this town. I love dishes that slip pork into maple syrup :D

*creams another set of jeans thinking about poutine*
Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Thu May 24, 2007 12:20 am

Bruno wrote:
nevermore wrote:Canadian food. We need some of that in this town. I love dishes that slip pork into maple syrup :D

*creams another set of jeans thinking about poutine*

I was thinking tourtière. But yeah, poutine fucking rocks.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cubanat » Thu May 24, 2007 1:14 am

The poutine at A.P.D.C. in Montreal is mind-blowing delicious. So is the one that is topped with smoked meat. I frogot the name of the deli that had that one but damn it's so good. So are we asking for Quebec specific foods then?
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby mrak » Thu May 24, 2007 6:52 am

There's no Icelandic cuisine here either?

Madison will never be a truly cosmopolitan city until we can get some putrefied shark, ram scrotum or a properly singed sheep head.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby garosenb » Thu May 24, 2007 7:40 am

cubanat wrote:The only hope we have for dim sum I'm afraid is in the hands of the owner of Imperial Garden West. He does the meats @ the bbq counter at his gas station well and he' sais he planning to start dim sum eventually in his resto...

The dim sum at Hong Kong Cafe & the place on Midvale is a joke. Not even worth trying or to satisfy the craving...

Malaysian food is popping up all over NY. Maybe in 5 years or so we'll get it...Hey, we've got bagels now!

"Ted: But why do they put a guarantee on the box then?
Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is. Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for right now, for your sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality item from me.
Ted: Hmm. Okay, I'll buy from you."

Just because you slap the 'dim sum' label on a menu does not make it so. There is not dim sum in Madison.
garosenb

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu May 24, 2007 10:07 am

Meat and three. I can explain what that means if you like, or you can imagine for yourself.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby What The » Thu May 24, 2007 11:04 am

Isn't there a Malaysian restaurant in the same plaza as Wah Kee?

As for poutine, I asked some of the folks at the Farmer's Market selling cheese curds, whether they'd ever put them on fries and poured gravy on them. You'd think people would be way more receptive to new ideas involving fries, cheese and gravy.....

Best chi-chi poutine I ever had: a mound of crisp frites, shredded cheese and then topped with some beef short ribs.

Damn. Where are my other pants?
What The

Postby cubanat » Thu May 24, 2007 11:16 am

Is it Bandung? I don't think they're Malaysian but they're a damn fine place for decent & inexpensive eats. What's the other place in that plaza?
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby GenieU » Thu May 24, 2007 11:19 am

Right! There is marked lack of french fries smothered in gravy in my life presently.

Speaking of light and lively: I'd like to see Polish Food in Madison.

More African would be good too.
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Suoiragerg » Thu May 24, 2007 11:41 am

There was a place in Middleton for two years that did Malaysian food. A decent Nasi Lemak. But it went out of busineess.

I thought about the lack of Malaysian restaurants as I ate my Jian this morning. (My mother-in-law is in town from Peteling Jaya this week.) YUMMY!

Maybe I can get her to stay and open a restaurant.

Dim Sum is actually a Hong Kong food that has been widely adopted by Singapore and the ethnically Chinese population of Malaysia.
Suoiragerg
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues