MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, October 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Madison Marathon (f.k.a. Mad City Marathon)

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Postby Learned » Mon May 28, 2007 6:37 pm

It went pretty well. I ran one (my first) last year and that went a lot better. More pain and a much slower time this time around. But it was a beautiful day and it was fun to run a marathon in my hometown.

Regarding the distance (13.1/26.2) thing, it's the last .1 and .2 that are the most painful. They put up big signs for each mile and you're out there counting them down and one tenth more just hurts.

I love looking at the people at the finish line and in the "Athlete's Village." Saw a couple of guys with the two gunshot wounds -- two bloody, chafed nipples.

It seems like a lot of marathons are judged in part by the crowd support. Madison definitely supported the runners yesterday.
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lynne » Mon May 28, 2007 9:41 pm

ms4denmark wrote: Working in the food industry, I get that all the time!! It just feels weird for someone to casually call out your name like they know you. "Oh, say Mark..." And, they ALWAYS say it in that manner. :lol:

This is why I when I worked in food service, I always wore someone else's nametag. Hey, I didn't make the rules--they just said I had to wear a nametag. They didn't say it had to be mine.
Lynne
Forum Addict

Postby Oprah » Wed May 30, 2007 8:43 am

jjoyce wrote:I loves me some Forons, but I'm just guessing there aren't many endurance athletes in this crowd. And no, case/keg races don't qualify as endurance sports.

I am Ironman.
Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking