MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, July 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Brat Fest's steady decline into trashy carnivaldom.

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Postby Meph » Wed May 30, 2007 12:35 pm

All arguements aside, the proof is in the brats. This year was a huge drop off in sales.

2007- 157,665 brats
2006- 182,310 brats Alliant
2005- 181,710 brats Hilldale
2004- 189,432 brats (record)Hilldale
Meph
Senior Member
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 3:24 pm

Postby spanky » Wed May 30, 2007 12:36 pm

Meph wrote:All arguements aside, the proof is in the brats. This year was a huge drop off in sales.

2007- 157,665 brats
2006- 182,310 brats Alliant
2005- 181,710 brats Hilldale
2004- 189,432 brats (record)Hilldale


That says more about weather than brats or venue, in my opinion - at least this year's drop.
spanky
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 969
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:57 am

Postby Cory Schmidt » Wed May 30, 2007 8:50 pm

spanky wrote:
Meph wrote:All arguements aside, the proof is in the brats. This year was a huge drop off in sales.

2007- 157,665 brats
2006- 182,310 brats Alliant
2005- 181,710 brats Hilldale
2004- 189,432 brats (record)Hilldale


That says more about weather than brats or venue, in my opinion - at least this year's drop.


It was nice this past weekend, no?
Cory Schmidt
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:52 pm

Postby white_rabbit » Wed May 30, 2007 9:17 pm

Next year they should do Bratapalooza and have two or three locations with different bands and attractions at different locations.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7487
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:44 pm

Postby shelly » Wed May 30, 2007 10:04 pm

Or an east side versus west side bratfest competition, to see which part of town can eat the most brats.
shelly
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:10 am

Postby Bwis53 » Wed May 30, 2007 11:01 pm

shelly wrote:Or an east side versus west side bratfest competition, to see which part of town can eat the most brats.


Now that's the spirit! Why can't the bars on State St. cooperate, in that fashion, like a brat fest instead of a binge fest for Halloween? You would get a ton of people and make money instead of draining the city police budget. Win-Win!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6296
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:39 pm
Location: Bay Creek

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu May 31, 2007 7:38 am

Cory Schmidt wrote:It was nice this past weekend, no?

Not on Saturday, when there was a heavy downpour. Sat's brat sales were way down.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 19600
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Postby Oprah » Thu May 31, 2007 8:44 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
Cory Schmidt wrote:It was nice this past weekend, no?

Not on Saturday, when there was a heavy downpour. Sat's brat sales were way down.

I do not see the problem, but I live for getting my brat wet.
Oprah
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1087
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:20 pm
Location: On the Down Low

Postby kevin » Thu May 31, 2007 9:06 am

As a three time attendee this year who also pulled a 4 hour volunteer shift, I think the decline in brat sales was all about the Benjamins. While they raised more $$$$ on brat sales due to the $.50 price increase, simple supply and demand made the sales drop easily predictable.

Another reason is the expansion of the fest. It isn't all about brats anymore. Money that goes to buy drinks at $1.50, beers at $5.00, ice cream for $2-5.00 and carnival rides for $3-4.00 can't also be used for brats. And, in the old days at Hilldale, the long lines and $1 price combined to cause overpurchasing. Sales of 5,10,20 even 50 brats were commonplace. You didn't want to get back in the line again.
kevin
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:05 pm

Postby lysander » Thu May 31, 2007 9:12 am

Meph wrote:I have been to both locations and I must agree with the original post that the Hilldale location was better. I used to be a big fan of Bratfest, but driving to Alliant for a brat is just a hassle. The Alliant location is quite unfriendly to foot traffic and has little to no close residental areas. This means that everyone has to drive there. I am not saying it has to go back to Hilldale, but the Alliant location is quite bad.

The numbers are down too. This year was 31,767 brats short of the record of 189,432 set back in 2004 at the Hilldale location.

PHHhhmmppphhh.
http://www.cityofmadison.com/metro/Sche ... 13/13.html
Grow a pair. Shit, parking was free too.
lysander
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 618
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:43 pm

Postby Meph » Thu May 31, 2007 4:15 pm

lysander wrote:
Meph wrote:I have been to both locations and I must agree with the original post that the Hilldale location was better. I used to be a big fan of Bratfest, but driving to Alliant for a brat is just a hassle. The Alliant location is quite unfriendly to foot traffic and has little to no close residental areas. This means that everyone has to drive there. I am not saying it has to go back to Hilldale, but the Alliant location is quite bad.

The numbers are down too. This year was 31,767 brats short of the record of 189,432 set back in 2004 at the Hilldale location.

PHHhhmmppphhh.
http://www.cityofmadison.com/metro/Sche ... 13/13.html
Grow a pair. Shit, parking was free too.


I guess you told me, flex that epeen.
Meph
Senior Member
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 3:24 pm

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu May 31, 2007 4:19 pm

Meph wrote:I guess you told me, flex that epeen.


I hope that we can expect, as you continue to post here at TDPF, to see more of that mighty leet-speak you wield.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8357
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

Postby TAsunder » Thu May 31, 2007 4:45 pm

lysander wrote:PHHhhmmppphhh.
http://www.cityofmadison.com/metro/Sche ... 13/13.html
Grow a pair. Shit, parking was free too.


You forgot to link all the various other lines that 99% of people would start on then have to transfer to the 13. By the time they got to alliant, they've probably wasted at least an hour of their life beyond the time it would have taken them to drive and park.

Hardly less hassle.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4781
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:21 pm
Location: Near East Side, Madison

Postby Sheppy » Thu May 31, 2007 4:47 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
I was happier with my brats this year than I have been in the five years I've been in Madison. Yeah, it's bigger and glammier. So what? That means it's a success. It's not your backyard. It's an event. BOO FRIGGING HOO if you don't like other people being there.


I love this guy!
Sheppy
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1130
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Madison

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu May 31, 2007 4:48 pm

Sheppy wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:
I was happier with my brats this year than I have been in the five years I've been in Madison. Yeah, it's bigger and glammier. So what? That means it's a success. It's not your backyard. It's an event. BOO FRIGGING HOO if you don't like other people being there.


I love this guy!


Affirmation, baby.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8357
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar