MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, December 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 23.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Downtown Brunch Rankings

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Downtown Brunch Rankings

Postby cubanat » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:42 pm

I eat out 99% of my meals. Sunday's are typically for "brunch" but I'm open to anything. For the last few weeks I've been concentrating on brunch and IMO this is what I've found:

Best All Around Brunch: Tied between Cocoliquot & Orpheum. The Orpheum is an all you can eat buffet that serves "better than buffet" food for $16 while the other serves damn decent food for less than $12 give or take a few $ depending on what you order. The hangar steak is the bomb as are the fries & aioli (latter are best in the city hands down).

Runners up that were ok: Bon Appetit was tasty & service was nice but not enough of a selection for me & the Old Fashioned's granola is awesome after downing a greenbush fritter.

Disappointments: Sardine. If you are going to serve poached eggs on the $16 crab cakes entree (yes bacon & rock shrimp are in them & listed in name & they were tasty) the eggs better be perfect. They were not. They were half hard I would say. I even mentioned to my server that I wanted them runny, loose, whatever it takes. She assured me they would be perfect. They gave us the wrong omelette as well. It was not busy. They were not slammed in the kitchen. The baked goods were super but there was only a hershey kiss size amount of chocolate in the chocolate croissant...overall no value here especially for marginal food. Besides the server's oversight about my eggs, I have to say that the service at Sardine & and Marigold is above par.

I will try the buffet at the Concourse since someone told me it was decent & I want to try the food at the shamrock since I heard on the forums that it's pretty good. I will try sardine again but only because the brioche filled with pastry cream was that good. All in all only the eggs at Cocoliquot & the Orpheum came out perfectly cooked repeatedly. At the Orpheum you order your eggs with the servers and sunny side up is usually hard to screw up...
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby dstol62 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:05 pm

The Orpheum and the Concourse are great...if you like your eggs and links cold and your fresh fruit warm...steam tables are reliable that way.
dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby reggaefresh » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:02 pm

Try the breakfast burrito at Eldorado. Only served during Sunday brunch beginning at 9am.
reggaefresh

Postby cubanat » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:59 pm

dstol62 wrote:The Orpheum and the Concourse are great...if you like your eggs and links cold and your fresh fruit warm...steam tables are reliable that way.
Funny since at the Orpheum they serve your eggs to order numb-nut.
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby depinmad » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:11 pm

definitely try the concourse, it's got the most bang for your buck, by far.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dstol62 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:45 pm

cubanat wrote:
dstol62 wrote:The Orpheum and the Concourse are great...if you like your eggs and links cold and your fresh fruit warm...steam tables are reliable that way.

Last time I was there, they had scrambled eggs in a steam table.
dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:02 pm

Cube, I know you've been unimpressed with Eldorado Grill, but have you tried their brunch menu yet? It's pretty dern good.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:11 am

For buffets, I prefer Nau-Ti-Gal and the Concourse over the Orpheum. Things are cooked a little unevenly at the concourse, but the selection is about 4 times as good as the orpheum. Non-buffets, Tutto on King, El Dorado, and The old fashioned are decent. Saturday brunch at marigold is still among my favorites. Had their strawberry rhubarb pancakes this past weekend.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dudemeister » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:19 am

I second the Cocoliquot recommendation. Very nice food at a decent price.
dudemeister
Forum Addict

Postby spanky » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:48 pm

dstol62 wrote:
cubanat wrote:

Last time I was there, they had scrambled eggs in a steam table.

I have never seen scrambled eggs on the buffet line at the Orpheum; however, there typically is a quiche-ish dish. In any event, this is, and always has been, in addition to the eggs and omelets to order.
spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:53 pm

cafe contintal has a very tasty brunch. not buffet though.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cubanat » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:08 pm

I typically don't like buffets but the Orpheum's was that good. I will also now try the concourse & eldorado's regular brunch (not buffet).
cubanat
Forum Addict

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews