MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

20/20's vodka test

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Postby buckyor » Tue May 29, 2007 8:44 pm

It may be all in my head, but I can tell you that I cannot tolerate Finlandia ever since I puked my eyeballs out after finishing a bottle of it (neat) with some buddies back in law school.

Almost all of my vodka is consumed with tonic water and a squeeze of lime. Ketel One is ok for this purpose, but I don't think it's worth the price. I think Grey Goose is better, and Belvedere and Chopin are top notch. But if you're drinking bloodies, screwdrivers or salty dogs or something like that, Smirnoff ought to do the trick.

Ahh, hell, I'd rather just drink gin. Make mine Beefeater.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby small cheese » Tue May 29, 2007 11:25 pm

I'm not a vodka drinker, I don't drink much booze except for a few liqueurs and scotch, and when a shot is called for, whiskey. I'll occasionally drink rum or tequila in a blender drink. Piña Coladas with a nice chunk of pineapple to bite into while checking out the surfers or kicking back with a book on a Mexican beach? Those are freaking awesome.

Anyway, vodka. I succumbed to peer pressure on my first vodka experience, and we drank it neat. A Russian-American friend of mine brings back a few bottles of vodka every time he returns from Moscow. If I'm lucky, I'm there on the right night. A bottle sits in the freezer for the night, then at bar time we grab a bunch of pickles, and pour 2-3 ounces of whatever the hell it is in a small rocks glass. Grab a pickle, and drink the vodka in one slow, smooth motion. Set your glass down firmly on the bar and bite into the pickle. It is, I'm told, "the way real Russians do it". I was glad they talked me into it, and I was more than happy to join in on the second round. I was pretty much gone by the third, I don't recall if I participated or not.
small cheese
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed May 30, 2007 8:46 am

I don't know what all this talk about vodka martinis is all about. That's a gin drink, no?

There was a great article in the New Yorker about 15 years ago about vodka marketing, where the guy who created the Absolut campaign moved over to Stoli. No other liquor approaches the amount spent on vodka marketing... very funny stuff.

Here's my question: Has anyone tried that Shaker's vodka that they make in Minnesota? Any good?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Wed May 30, 2007 8:59 am

jjoyce wrote:Here's my question: Has anyone tried that Shaker's vodka that they make in Minnesota? Any good?

Yep. Not bad at all. Although I prefer UV, also from Minnesota.
Favorite, though, is Tanqueray silver. Known more for their gin, obviously, but they have a fantastic vodka. I've only ever found it at Woodman's.
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Adam Casey » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:32 am

Shaker's is good and I really like Hangar One. I usually order Stoli in a bar but don't underestimate Rehorst and Death's Door. Home grown distillates and they are gooood.
Adam Casey

Postby monsterface » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:59 pm

Once we found an almost full 1.75 bottle of Siberian Ice across from James Madison on the side of S. Butler street. It was open and a little was gone, but it looked completely uncontaminated. It was really good, and didn't lose any of its flavor when we mixed it with off-brand Crystal Light Pink Lemonade.
monsterface
Forum God/Goddess

Death's Door not local

Postby steve123 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:58 pm

I thought death door was local too until someone pointed out that its made in iowa - just look at the bottle. Turns out its a marketing company that owns hotel in door county they also make donuts

Adam Casey wrote:Shaker's is good and I really like Hangar One. I usually order Stoli in a bar but don't underestimate Rehorst and Death's Door. Home grown distillates and they are gooood.
steve123

Re: Death's Door not local

Postby barney » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:16 pm

It IS local. The distiller is in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, (which is, what, 150 miles from here?) the wheat is grown on Washington Island. Same wheat as Cap Brewery uses in Island Wheat.

The "marketing company" you speak of is Washington Island Brands, they are affliated with the Washington Hotel on Washington Island and with The Washington Hotel Coffee Room located here in Madison. They created the vodka and other wheat products to help encourage restoration of the wheat crop back to the island.

Read about it. It's good stuff, not some corporate behemoth that you make it out to be.

steve123 wrote:I thought death door was local too until someone pointed out that its made in iowa - just look at the bottle. Turns out its a marketing company that owns hotel in door county they also make donuts

Adam Casey wrote:Shaker's is good and I really like Hangar One. I usually order Stoli in a bar but don't underestimate Rehorst and Death's Door. Home grown distillates and they are gooood.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby heyduke » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:49 pm

jjoyce wrote:I don't know what all this talk about vodka martinis is all about. That's a gin drink, no?

Correct. A martini is made with gin. If you want it made with vodka, it's a vodka martini.

Question: anybody tried a martini with Hendrick's?
heyduke

Re: Death's Door not local

Postby steve123 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:58 am

sorry, my friend in Illinois makes home brews just as I do here in Wisconsin..if I send him some hops, to use in his beer is it a Wisconsin home brew?...don't think so...the quality, taste, and profile of a product are all a result of the brewer and the place it is made, that location is where the craft of creating a product takes shape...death door vodka is local to iowa, which, because it is close to WI does not make it local. Is Goose Island a Wisconsin Micro-brew? I guess we can call Ford local to Wisconsin too if they use tires from WI...etc...any true WI product is MADE IN WISCONSIN...NOT IOWA

barney wrote:It IS local. The distiller is in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, (which is, what, 150 miles from here?) the wheat is grown on Washington Island. Same wheat as Cap Brewery uses in Island Wheat.

The "marketing company" you speak of is Washington Island Brands, they are affliated with the Washington Hotel on Washington Island and with The Washington Hotel Coffee Room located here in Madison. They created the vodka and other wheat products to help encourage restoration of the wheat crop back to the island.

Read about it. It's good stuff, not some corporate behemoth that you make it out to be.

steve123 wrote:I thought death door was local too until someone pointed out that its made in iowa - just look at the bottle. Turns out its a marketing company that owns hotel in door county they also make donuts

steve123

Previous

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails