MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Customer service at Studio Jewelers

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Customer service at Studio Jewelers

Postby solsticeson » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:07 pm

Has anyone else experienced horrible customer service at Studio Jewelers in Madison?

Here is an email I received from the owner. It was in response to my request to be removed from their mailing list after being dissatisfied with their services.

"Oh Michael, I did this a long time ago! Do you really think I want you for a
customer at this time? Your name is mud from hear to Lithuania for the
disrespectful and bullying way you have treated people. I don't think you're
evil...but you have much to learn if your life is not to be one frustration
after another. Recommended reading: Owning Your Own Shadow by Robert A.
Johnson; When Things Fall Apart by Pima Chodrin. Good luck to you--
Most sincerely,
Hanna Cook-Wallace"
solsticeson

Re: Customer service at Studio Jewelers

Postby massimo » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:14 pm

solsticeson wrote:It was in response to my request to be removed from their mailing list after being dissatisfied with their services.

Can we see this "request"?
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby solsticeson » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:22 pm

"Studio Jewelers

Please remove my name from your mailing list. I do not wish to be
contacted by you and I will never again be a customer of your store.

Please reply when this has been completed.

Thanks"
solsticeson

Postby Frank Booth » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:42 pm

solsticeson wrote:Recommended reading:...When Things Fall Apart by Pima Chodrin.

It's good to see someone involved in the diamond business is well-versed in colonialism in Africa.
Frank Booth
Forum Addict

Postby bluethedog » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:07 pm

solsticeson wrote:Recommended reading:...When Things Fall Apart by Pima Chodrin.

I'd add "How to Butcher Authors' Names" by Hanna Cook-Wallace.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dudemeister » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:43 pm

I hate to tell you this but you may be, unknowingly, a dick. Usually people don't respond like this unless something untoward has occurred previously. I've always had reasonable interactions with Studio Jewelers.

That said, I wouldn't respond to anyone like this via email. I would leave well-enough alone and just say nothing.
dudemeister
Forum Addict

Postby Frank Booth » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:23 pm

dudemeister wrote:I hate to tell you this but you may be, unknowingly, a dick. Usually people don't respond like this unless something untoward has occurred previously. I've always had reasonable interactions with Studio Jewelers.

That said, I wouldn't respond to anyone like this via email. I would leave well-enough alone and just say nothing.

Well said. My (thankfully short) experience in retail taught me that the customer isn't always right but it's better to let them think that they are. It's just not worth it to tell people off.
Frank Booth
Forum Addict

Postby lysander » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:45 pm

I've never done business with them, but I'd be inclined to now, just for the fact that the owner pwned some n00b for possible dickheadishness.

Besides, what better way could there be to deal with a dispute between two people (or a person and a business) than to create an online persona and go to town?

I just realized it's been ten years since I read the real Things Fall Apart. Didn't know there was a self-help book from a Tibetan Buddhism perspective. Odd choice for a title, IMHO. [/u]
lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chance » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:46 pm

lysander wrote:... I just realized it's been ten years since I read the real Things Fall Apart. Didn't know there was a self-help book from a Tibetan Buddhism perspective. Odd choice for a title, IMHO.

Yeah, well my age shows when I realize it's been 30 for me.

Funny this should come up now. Chinua Achebe's book Things Fall Apart took its title from the line in "The Second Coming" by W. B. Yeats -- and in the final episode of The Sopranos this past Sunday, A. J. quotes from that poem (pronouncing the poet's name "Yeets"). Hmmmmm.

The When Things Fall Apart title of this apparent Buddhist self-help book lacks this literary cachet. It's just banal.
chance
Forum Addict

Postby Oprah » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:18 pm

Irwin Goodman told me to go fuck myself when I inquired about giving my mother a pearl necklace for Mother's Day. His reading list included: Grapes of Wrath, Caine Mutiny, and Ethan Frome.
Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:41 pm

Oprah wrote:Irwin Goodman told me to go fuck myself when I inquired about giving my mother a pearl necklace for Mother's Day.

Clearly Irwin Goodman doesn't know how that works...
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby L'enfer c'est les autres » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:16 pm

I don't care what happened between the customer and the business--the business is supposed to be mature and respectful. Especially in response to simply being asked to be removed from the mailing list. Hanna's response was totally over-the-top and uncalled for. Drama Queen?? Who does she think she is!? I know I personally won't ever go there because I know enough businesses that would go the extra mile for a customer and I prefer to be treated with respect by them.
L'enfer c'est les autres

Postby Stomach » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:44 pm

L'enfer c'est les autres wrote:I don't care what happened between the customer and the business--the business is supposed to be mature and respectful. Especially in response to simply being asked to be removed from the mailing list. Hanna's response was totally over-the-top and uncalled for. Drama Queen?? Who does she think she is!? I know I personally won't ever go there because I know enough businesses that would go the extra mile for a customer and I prefer to be treated with respect by them.

Whatever. An anonymous poster on a public forum trashing a local business with their first and only post carries less than a thimble of credibility in my book.

I've always found the folks at Studio Jewelers to be pleasant and helpful and I like the kitty as well (Elli?).

Happy shopping.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby winkleperi » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:47 pm

My experience at Studio Jewelers was fine, but I was appalled by the business' practice of locking its front door and admitting customers only once they are buzzed in. One must assume that the business makes decisions about whom it will buzz in. Anyone who sympathizes with Patricia Williams' narrative in The Alchemy of Race and Rights (she was excluded from Benetton's SoHo Storefront due to her race and casual attire [sneakers, backpack, hooded sweatshirt]) probably can't receive a locked storefront in the same manner after reading her book. The locked storefront begs for a social experiment.

As for the original posting, it is absurd for anyone to take the author of the posting's side before hearing Hanna's. This man may--in fact--be a giant prick. Having worked in multiple service industries, I can attest that the customer is not always right, and I appreciated when my bosses would tell obnoxious customers that their behavior is unacceptable. Although Hanna's language reads strongly, I think a person would need to hear her side before deciding whether to frequent her business.
winkleperi

Postby solsticeson » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:05 pm

Many people have posted saying that I may be a "dick" or possibly a "prick" which even if it was true would never excuse a business from replying in the manner that I received from Studio Jewelers.
If a business conducts themselves in a manner that is unprofessional and degrading to customers I feel others have the right to know and I feel no shame in letting others know of my experience.
Shop there if you want but always remember that the best businesses are the ones that even after you have a bad experience they right the wrong and work to maintain you as a customer. As consumers we have the right and power to spend our money in a way that lets businesses know we are paying attention to what they do and how they conduct themselves. You always have options. We live in a consumer driven society and I dont think its changing any time soon so at least take advantage of the options it presents.
solsticeson

Next

Return to Catch All