MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Gwynn to the minors?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Gwynn to the minors?

Postby Suoiragerg » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:11 am

Not often does a team send a guy hitting .300 down to the minors. Are the brewers that good?

NO.

They are keeping Gross on the roster while sending down Gwynn. Gross is hitting below his weight.

My hope is that at least one outfielder will be traded by the end of July. Otherwise they should just cut Gross and make some room for Gwynn.
Suoiragerg
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:17 am

No cuts, only trades and demotions. This team's got too much riding on this season (and too much put into it already) to just cut guys to make room.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:48 am

he's better off hitting every day down there than hitting once a week in Milw. He'll be back in Sept.
I'm sure GM is trying to get rid of Mench, and maybe Gross now...but who wants them?
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:51 am

This move makes sense. Gwynn should be playing every day rather than sitting on the bench. I would expect the Brewers plan to play him every day somewhere next year, post-Jenkins. And I'm sure whenever they decide to cut bait on Kevin Mench's useless tenure as a Brewer (if they can find a sucker to take him), Gwynn will be back up.

Gross may not be hitting very well right now, but he's a pretty decent player and still young. He's not someone you just cut ... see previous administrations' debacles with cutting Troy O'Leary, Ronnie Belliard, Mark Loretta, Bill Spiers, et al, all of whom went on to shortly have better seasons than who the Brewers replaced them with.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking