MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 20.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

No love for Alando

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

No love for Alando

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:49 am

Now, I am fully aware that Alando Tucker is not lined up to be the next huge thing in NBA basketball. It would be pretty dern unlikely.

But after all the pundits and scouts and "experts" (who do, nevertheless, know way more than I do) pooh-poohed Dwayne Wade's chances in the League, why would they do the same with Tucker?

It seems to me that Alando shares a lot of the characteristics that make Wade successful. He's taller than Wade. He played the same number of minutes in his final college season as Wade. Similar numbers for total rebounds, only a few points off Wade's final season with MU, dynamic leader.

Wade was 14th in the predraft rankings. Other than (ahem) Darko Milicic, he's the only one picked in the first round of his draft year to have a ring. Does it seem to anyone else like the experts are making the same mistake again?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:38 am

Chances are pretty good that Tucker will go to a good team (better a low first rounder than a high second rounder).

But, at least with USA players, NBA scouts assess particular skills like speed, quickness and, maybe most importantly, shooting. And even the best Tucker fans have to admit, the guy isn't exactly a dead-eye. He was improved this past season, but he doesn't have a reliable outside shot and he's not going to get inside chances nearly as often in the NBA. He's also not a great defender.

I hope he proves some of these doubters wrong myself, but as it stands, Tucker is a tweener who played his entire college career at forward and is now projected as an off-guard. Maybe he'll get lucky and go to a team like Phoenix or Golden State where versatility rules and he can find a role as a multi-position guy.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:32 am

jjoyce wrote:Chances are pretty good that Tucker will go to a good team (better a low first rounder than a high second rounder).

Maybe he'll get lucky and go to a team like Phoenix or Golden State where versatility rules and he can find a role as a multi-position guy.

Tucker goes 29th in the first round to Phoenix. Way to prognosticate!

Alando Tucker, Devin Harris and Michael Finley are now all Western Conference, on teams that have pretty healthy rivalries between them.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking