canoe rack
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

cheaper internet service?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

cheaper internet service?

Postby cute hat » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:07 pm

Hey fellow forons,

Anyone have a recommendation on internet service providers? I have high-speed internet access with Charter, but I think it's pretty pricey.

What do you guys have? I'm trying to save a few bucks, so any advice is welcome.
cute hat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:20 pm

I just bit the bullet and signed up last week w/TDS. They have some special for 3 or 6 months, and when that expires it's only about $46 plus tax(which is probably a shitload) / month. Includes local phone, $0.07/min longDist, and 1meg(?) internet... Was paying $15/dialup and about $22/month for local phone.

It's not working yet, but we'll see how it works out. 2 yr commitment. But I can backout up to teh next 2 months if I don't like it.

Where you live you can probably get YahooDSL thru SBC. Or maybe the wireless thru the city....I live 5 miles east of the capitol....TDS is all I could get.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cute hat » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:29 pm

That sounds good. I'm paying about, what, fitty bucks fer innernet alone, an' another twunny fer phone.

Like my Wisconics spelling?

God, I'm bored. Cabin fever, ya know.
cute hat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:40 pm

I splurge about $10/month on NetZero. Yes, it's slow dial-up, but for now it suits me just fine. I'll probably go back to faster DSL or cable, now that I've dumped my $50/month health club membership. I've decided to not use the free health club at work instead.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:50 pm

I'd read something, a few months ago, that TDS was being bought out. I think the story was in the papers, business section. My first thought was, how will it affect service and their policy to keep records private. Anyone know anything about it?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:57 pm

We've got free WiscWorld (UW) dial up. Had it for years. But I've recently took the TDS plunge, like Paco. Should be hooked up and ready to go in a couple weeks.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:34 pm

just got a call form TDS. Evidently it isn't available at my house after all...after they did all this shit. Living 5 miles form the capitol on the East Side it isn't available.

Madison--most wired city? My arse.

Cute, you're close enough to the rich downtown condos it may be available there. Good luck.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:23 pm

We use ATT and pay between $13-14. It was supposed to be for 6 months but I think we have be paying the same price for almost 1 year. Competition is good.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:11 am

AT&T Quietly Offers $10 DSL Plan

AT&T has started offering a broadband Internet service for $10 a month, half the price of its cheapest advertised plan.

But it was introduced without any sort of fanfare, and is not easy to find on the AT&T Web site. A page describing DSL options doesn't mention it, but clicking a link for "Term contract plans" reveals it.

The low-cost DSL, or digital subscriber line, is one of the concessions made by AT&T to the Federal Communications Commission to get its $86 billion acquisition of BellSouth approved last December.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:27 am

cheapest?

Buy a 802.11g card and bogart your neighbor's wireless signal. I'm doing it right now to post this, and it feels very sexy!
:lol:
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:48 am

Bwis53 wrote:I'd read something, a few months ago, that TDS was being bought out. I think the story was in the papers, business section. My first thought was, how will it affect service and their policy to keep records private. Anyone know anything about it?

I realize this was posted awhile back but I would site a more specific source before making such a bold and incorrect statement like that. TDS has not been sold and they are about as close to local as you are going to find in Madison.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:09 pm

I've had SBC/AT&T/Yahoo! DSL for about three years now. Works fine, I've only had a couple of outages during that time.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:40 pm

eriedasch wrote:
Bwis53 wrote:I'd read something, a few months ago, that TDS was being bought out. I think the story was in the papers, business section. My first thought was, how will it affect service and their policy to keep records private. Anyone know anything about it?

I realize this was posted awhile back but I would site a more specific source before making such a bold and incorrect statement like that. TDS has not been sold and they are about as close to local as you are going to find in Madison.

It would have been easier to find the link or article, back then, as I think it was in Madison.com's site. Try googling Threatened buyout of TDS and you'll get quite a bit. Looks like it didn't happen. Some folks were worried, just because they thought TDS was better at guarding consumer's privacy.

I also have the ATT package. I was so used to dealing with it with my old business and back when it was Ameritech, they helped us in a financial spot. So far, I'm hanging onto it, because they are giving me exactly what I want at a price I can afford. How many times can you say that about a corp?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:40 pm

Interesting, we just switched from ATT to Earthlink because ATT doubled the cost of the DSL service.
Don't know what we are charged yet since my husband actually did it and we haven't received a bill yet.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:22 pm

Paco wrote:just got a call form TDS. Evidently it isn't available at my house after all...after they did all this shit. Living 5 miles form the capitol on the East Side it isn't available.

Huh?

I was under the impression from previous conversations on this board that you lived in my neck of the woods, Paco. And I have TDS DSL. I know availability is based on your distance from the nearest hub, but you'd think by now they'd have the greater Madison area covered.

But what do I know? (It's a rhetorical question, jerksons.)
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All