MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 20.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Four (Count 'em) Four Brewer All-Stars

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:34 pm

Paco wrote:Oh Fat, you really took me down a peg or two.
I feel so humbled after that.

Shouldn't you be on a treadmill somewhere?

Hey, I am not the whiny bastard talking about the inconvience of maintaining a waste bin in his garage, nor am I the one stating that a baseball team that has existed since 1876 remains unstoried. What, under your definition, does it mean to be "storied." Please, enlighten us.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Paco » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:39 pm

Still bitter I see. Ahh, no sense growing up until you have to, right?

sto·ried1 /ˈstÉâ€
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:40 pm

nevermore wrote:
funkwood wrote:
Paco wrote:This is hilarious. Fans of two of the least storied franchises are arguing about which team sucks more.

I wasn't aware that internet forums served any other greater purposes than pointless arguing.

Feel free to start a Yankees-Red Sox thread. Two teams that seem to fly under the media's radar every season.

Nah, let's start a Tampa Bay Devilrays-Washington Nationals thread instead.

Sweeeeeet. Uh ... Carl Crawford can kick Cristian Guzman's ass.

when did the cubs suddenly not become a storied franchise?
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby funkwood » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:44 pm

minicat wrote:
nevermore wrote:
funkwood wrote:
Paco wrote:This is hilarious. Fans of two of the least storied franchises are arguing about which team sucks more.

I wasn't aware that internet forums served any other greater purposes than pointless arguing.

Feel free to start a Yankees-Red Sox thread. Two teams that seem to fly under the media's radar every season.

Nah, let's start a Tampa Bay Devilrays-Washington Nationals thread instead.

Sweeeeeet. Uh ... Carl Crawford can kick Cristian Guzman's ass.

when did the cubs suddenly not become a storied franchise?

I think Dimitri Young could take out his younger brother Delmon along with the rest of the D-Rays roster.
funkwood

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:46 pm

[quote="Paco"]Still bitter I see. Ahh, no sense growing up until you have to, right?

sto·ried1 /ˈstÉâ€
Last edited by Fat.The.Gangster on Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:47 pm

Wasn't this thread "Brewers have 4 All Stars, yipee" Not "Brewers are so much better than the Cubs" I believe it was a Cubs fan who stepped in here stating D Lee's dominance.

Listen Fielder is the greatest Fielder we know that. Hey this is his first full year starting at the position and he's been kicking ass. The fans see that and his name at the top of a lot of Batting categories. D. Lee is sooo last year.

Brew fans have sat quietly for years while rabid Cubs fans all had something to talk about. Mainly their clinging to pathetic hopes that this was their year and then it all crumbling down in the fall. When the Crew wasn't worth crap did we step into your conversations and argue. No. We like the Cubs. I think it's cool that after all these years there's a rivalry brewing. No pun intended
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:51 pm

Ahhh, you got me again, Fat.

Well I'm off, have a few better things to do than battle wits with an unarmed man.

Baci e abbracci, ciccione.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:56 pm

Paco wrote:Well I'm off, have a few better things to do than battle wits with an unarmed man.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to keep you from your pederasty. Make sure you use plenty of that Yohimbe.

Bese mi asno.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby buckyor » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:15 pm

Fat.The.Gangster wrote:
buckyor wrote:I think you've inadvertently put your finger on something here. I think you've explained why the Cubs never seem to show up for September baseball.

You mean the four times since 1982?

Your assertion that the Cubs have shown up for September baseball 4 times in 25 years explains pretty much everything.

Just stop it, you're embarassing nevermore. I'm pretty sure you're incapable of embarassing yourself.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Where the hell did all these Cub trolls come from?

Postby Marvell » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:53 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Did you catch the title of this thread? [...]

I'm saying that the Brewers are a better team than the Cubs right now, and that's why A) they have more All-Stars overall, and B) Fielder is starting for the NL.

Not to mention that the over-all talent level between the two clubs is not even close. Hell, the Brewers' back-up catcher went 4 for 5 and drove in seven runs last night.

That's the thing about the baseball season - it's long enough that you can always find a stretch where any individual player's stats dip. But the core of the Brewers are young players - which means that this team will only improve as the season progresses, and guys like Hall, Braun and Weeks really start firing on all cylinders.

Unlike the Cubs, who will almost certainly degrade back into mediocrity.

One last point, in regards to Fielder's fielding - if you study baseball statistics at all, one thing you note in the progression of a player's career - almost without exception - is an improvement in their fielding percentage, and in walks to strike-out ratio (if the player sticks around long enough the latter stat will sometimes tail off again as they approach 40, although guys like Joe Morgan and Rickey Henderson just kept getting better). So - while I doubt that Prince will ever win a Gold Glove at 1st, he's also not as terrible as nevermore would have you believe considering that he's in only his second year in the Majors, and was shipped through the minors rather expeditiously.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Where the hell did all these Cub trolls come from?

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:12 pm

Marvell wrote:But the core of the Brewers are young players - which means that this team will only improve as the season progresses, and guys like Hall, Braun and Weeks really start firing on all cylinders.

This point is patently ridiculous. If young players improved throughout the season regardless of the circumstance, then the Devil Rays and Marlins, two teams chalk-full of more young talented players than the Brewers, would consistently have been the best team not only this season but also for the past five years. This is clearly not the case.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:14 pm

Fat.The.Gangster wrote:This point is patently ridiculous. If young players improved throughout the season regardless of the circumstance, then the Devil Rays and Marlins, two teams chalk-full of more young talented players than the Brewers, would consistently have been the best team not only this season but also for the past five years. This is clearly not the case.

How many World Series' have the Marlins won in the last decade?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:19 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:How many World Series' have the Marlins won in the last decade?

I don't think Kevin Brown, Alex Fernandez, Bobby Bonilla, Luis Catsillo, Jeff Conine, Moises Alou, Cliff Floyd, Gary Sheffield, John Wehner, or Devon White count as rookies or young players in any sense of the word.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:30 pm

Fat.The.Gangster wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:How many World Series' have the Marlins won in the last decade?

I don't think Kevin Brown, Alex Fernandez, Bobby Bonilla, Luis Catsillo, Jeff Conine, Moises Alou, Cliff Floyd, Gary Sheffield, John Wehner, or Devon White count as rookies or young players in any sense of the word.

No, but Carl Pavano, Brad Penny, Dontrelle Willis, Josh Beckett, Miguel Cabrera, Juan Pierre, Alex Gonzalez, Luis Castillo (who was 21 in 1997, as opposed to L. Catsillo, whose age is indeterminate), Edgar Renteria, Livan Hernandez, and yes, Cliff Floyd (who was 24 in 1997) probably would.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:50 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:No, but Carl Pavano, Brad Penny, Dontrelle Willis, Josh Beckett, Miguel Cabrera, Juan Pierre, Alex Gonzalez, Luis Castillo (who was 21 in 1997, as opposed to L. Catsillo, whose age is indeterminate), Edgar Renteria, Livan Hernandez, and yes, Cliff Floyd (who was 24 in 1997) probably would.

The Brewers don't have nearly the number of seasoned position players or big bats to help along for a playoff push as the Marlins did. In fact, your list of players comprise the 2003 series team, and not the veteran heavy team from 1997. The majority of your list is composed of pitchers who contributed with pitching, and not fielding or batting which is a different manner than Weeks and Braun. I stand by the assertion that young players don't always--in fact rarely--improve over the course of the season.
Last edited by Fat.The.Gangster on Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking