MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, October 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 46.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Wisconsin: Closed to minorities

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Wisconsin: Closed to minorities

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:20 pm

That appears to be the message being disseminated by the sports media and the representatives of Yi Jianlian, the first round draft pick of the Milwaukee Bucks. Yi cut a bristly figure in the pre-draft what-have-you, stating that he would not want to play for a team whose city didn't have a significant Chinese population. He wanted Oakland, Chicago, or LA.

The way this is playing on ESPN Radio (almost as I type), you'd think Wisconsin was operating internment camps along the Lake Michigan coast. "There's NO way," the doofus "analysts" like John Seibel profess, "NO WAY Yi would EVER play in Milwaukee, unless his team was visiting Milwaukee."

Is there some rule that I'm missing? Can we get past this? We still hear this every time a black Packer is seen doing something other than playing football in Green Bay. "What's it like being in Green Bay, Mr. Black Man, where there are so few of your people around?" Jesus fucking christ. It's "how long have you been a black quarterback" over and over and over again.

It's extremely distasteful on the part of Yi's camp to be so petulant about where he'd deign to perform. He's a rookie. He plays where he's drafted. If that team wants to send him elsewhere, that's how it goes.

But it's even more distasteful, to the point of insulting, to have every white ex-jock and non-jock talk down to Wisconsin like it's a pen full of tooth-picking, aw-shucking rednecks.
Last edited by TheBookPolice on Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:43 pm

Isn't Gottlieb a Milwaukee native? I know he grew up in SoCal, but his old man was the coach at UWM back in the 70s, which is probably right around when he was born.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:19 pm

"All right, we'll give some land to the niggers and the chinks, but we DON'T WANT THE IRISH!"
-Olson Johnson
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:30 pm

buckyor wrote:Isn't Gottlieb a Milwaukee native? I know he grew up in SoCal, but his old man was the coach at UWM back in the 70s, which is probably right around when he was born.

Correction: it was John Seibel.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rezin » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:16 pm

basically, the rule is that we hold his draft rights until he is not under contract in a FIBA (international basketball federation)supported league for 1 year.

so if he returned to china to play out his contract (1 more year) with the guandong tigers, we would still hold his nba rights, meaning he can only sign with us unless we trade him.

however, if he is let out of his contract by the tigers,and does not sign with another pro team (most likely china would just schedule a lot of exhibition games for their national team to keep him in game shape) he would then be eligible to reenter next june's draft.

with the beijing olympics coming up, china is dying for its basketball team to be competitive so they want yi to improve as much as possible and that means the nba.

on an interesting sidenote, there's a bit of a backlash brewing among chinese basketball fans against yi's agent, based on a quite a few polls that were conducted there, the prevailing opinion is that yi should play for the team that drafted him.

i'm an obsessive bucks fan so i spend a good portion of my day reading about this stuff
rezin
Forum Addict

Postby el guante » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:58 pm

this is a man's life-- he should be able to express an opinion about where he wants to play and even excercise whatever options he has should it come to that.

and "petulant" is a very interesting choice of words. it's petulance when a grown man wants to make a decision about his own life, but it's somehow not petulance when another grown person whines about it?

i see this all the time in my work-- white people (or men, or heterosexuals, or whatever dominant group) whining about who should or should not be offended, who can or cannot have an opinion, making up all the rules without even realizing that they're doing it. Is it so hard to believe that Wisconsin, while surely not full of "tooth-picking, aw-shucking rednecks," is at LEAST a less-than-ideal place to call home when you're not part of the dominant culture? funny how people IN that dominant culture tend not to notice or think about that.

but no, Yi Jianlian is just a petulant child who should shut up and entertain us, and the ESPN analysts are "out to get us" perfectly tolerant people in our diverse, open-minded wonderland.
el guante
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:24 pm

Responding to your comment, el guante, this was not an open hiring process. Yi didn't send out resumes and then get impressed into working in Milwaukee. It's a draft. Players are chosen from a pool like ducks in a carnival game, and they are expected to play for that team. It's how a draft works, and it's no secret to the men (and in some cases, boys) submitting themselves to that draft.

The decision he made about his own life was to enter the NBA Draft. That means he can reasonably be expected to play for the team that chose him. It was petulant when Eli Manning refused to play for San Diego in the NFL, and it's petulance for Yi Jianlian to do the same.

It is a sport that encourages competition between its employees for dominance. That does often mean that players for certain teams are at a disadvantage. But it is also a sport where the employees are expected to entertain the audience. That's just the way it is. The sport doesn't exist if no one's watching it (see: NHL, WNBA). Until Herb or Stern folds up the Bucks, they're still a viable team with every right to choose whichever players they want.

And frankly, it shouldn't have Thing One to do with race or ethnicity. The Bucks didn't pick Yi because he's Chinese, and it's inappropriate for Yi (or his handlers) to buck the system just because he is.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rezin » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:33 pm

el guante wrote:this is a man's life-- he should be able to express an opinion about where he wants to play and even excercise whatever options he has should it come to that.

it was his choice to enter the nba with the full knowledge that he could be selected by any of 30 different teams in 29 different cities.

i totally disagree with you that this has anything to do with race from either side. wanting a city with a huge chinese population (as well as claiming that the bucks have too many tall young players already :roll: ) are just lies to deflect blame onto the bucks.

if he wanted to play pro basketball so badly in a city with a large chinese population then he wouldn't have left guandong. it's all about marketing dollars being greater in larger cities.
rezin
Forum Addict

Postby bmasel » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:05 pm

Why doesn't Herb just hire a couple thousand Chinese basketball fans to move to Milwaukee and sit in the stands?
bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wet_Pavement » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:51 am

bmasel wrote:Why doesn't Herb just hire a couple thousand Chinese basketball fans to move to Milwaukee and sit in the stands?

Why doesn't George Bush trade a few US jobs for some Chinese basketball fans?
Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wet_Pavement » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:55 am

el guante wrote:this is a man's life-- he should be able to express an opinion about where he wants to play and even excercise whatever options he has should it come to that.

But there is something that I think is being left out of this thread: apparently his agent is playing a big, big role in this whole process. His agent is an American sports agent. If I'm wrong, somebody correct me.

It's more complicated than simply saying it's about "a man's life." It's also about $$$ for the player and the agent as well. There are a lot of politics at play here along with the money.

But it's simplistic to try to paint it as the innnocent basketball player who just wants to live his life. Sports agents are snakes.

And the bottom line is-- if I understand the whole NBA draft process-- Bucks hold the rights to the player if he wants to play in the NBA. He can't pick where he plays. If the Bucks trade him, they'll have to get something worth a 7 foot 25 year old player with a long future in the NBA ahaead of him.
Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:47 pm

Chinatown in Milwaukee? Just maybe
According to the article; "Wisconsin has nearly 100,000 residents of Asian descent, a quarter of whom reside in Milwaukee County, according to U.S. census data."
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Maxine » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:06 pm

What, is he afraid Milwaukee doesn't have a Happy Wok?
Maxine
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:10 pm

Oh, good. Another character.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:09 am

Oh noes! John Seibel, what does this mean? Did Yi forget he's Chinese, and that Wisconsin hates us some Chineses?

No. 6 pick Yi Jianlian finally signs with Milwaukee Bucks
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking