MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

dogs & fireworks

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

dogs & fireworks

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:53 am

I like fireworks as much as the next guy, but I guess I'm missing the appeal of standing in your backyard lighting off Black Cats all damn night. Is that celebratory?

In any case, the dog that lives in our house is on my side. But she gets more nervous than annoyed and it's gotten to the point where she paces nervously around the house all night, panting and with obvious stomach distress (burping, farting, intense eating of grass, etc.).

Does anyone else have the same issue? What's your remedy?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:59 am

my dogs are old and deaf this summer, but in years previous, tucking them into bed with us and petting them, and closing the windows and turning on some music or something to mask the fireworks noise helped.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:07 am

Our Boston just barks back, and does that cat-imitating-chicken-like sort of "buck"ing. Our pug, if he's outside, is a big pansy. Someone shot one off last night while he was looking for a place to do his business, and he tucked butt and tore off to the end of his leash.

The cure? The same thing that fixes everything else that bothers a dog.

A toy crammed with peanut butter.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:27 am

They don't seem to bother my one dog but the other cowers and shakes and often hides in the shower. Last year I took them to my friends house outside of town but I don't know if that's an option this year. Maybe I'll try the loud music or TV, or maybe I'll just shoot the kids lighting them off. Nobody would notice the gunshots.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:37 am

Some animals are more sensitive than others. I once had a cat hide for a week after getting freaked by fireworks.

If you know your animal is sensitive, you might ask your vet about using tranquilizers for a few days. It's really sad to see your pet that upset.
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:07 pm

The drunks and kids on my street still think it's fun to do that stuff.

My old black cat had a funny, trying to look cool walk, at the first sound of thunder. We'd tease him and he'd stand his ground, until the second clap, and then he didn't care about looking cool. He had a funny trying to look cool trot.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: dogs & fireworks

Postby Oprah » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:03 pm

jjoyce wrote:But she gets more nervous than annoyed and it's gotten to the point where she paces nervously around the house all night, panting and with obvious stomach distress (burping, farting, intense eating of grass, etc.).

Does anyone else have the same issue? What's your remedy?

paces nervously - yes
panting - yes
burping - yes
farting - yes
intense eating of grass - yes

My remedy is to lock myself in the laundry room, turn off the light, and sit on the dryer while its running.
Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Catch All