MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 78.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Firefly closing...and becoming Tex Tubbs!

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Firefly closing...and becoming Tex Tubbs!

Postby eurotic » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:14 am

For those interested, FIREFLY on Farley and University will be closing August 3rd and reopening a month later as the 2nd incarnation of TEX TUBBS TACO PALACE. This location will be different however, waitservice, opposed from counter service like at the Atwood location, and entree specials.

Sort of like a middle ground between El Dorado and Tex Tubbs, but with similar pricing of Tex Tubbs.

So if you're a fan of Firefly come on down for its last days, and if you're a fan of Tex Tubbs come on out in September for the grand unveiling.

(How do I know all this? I work at Firefly:))
eurotic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:21 am

i'm surprised firefly lasted this long. gave it three or four chances, but haven't been there in over a year.
been to tex tubbs 3 times, not overly impressed, and the west side is not lacking in mexican restaurants, but i'm sure i'll give it a shot or two.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Veeder » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:00 am

thank. god.
Veeder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:14 am

I'm actually not looking at this as a positive. While it's true that Firefly hasn't been able to make the most of its (ample) chances, Tex Tubb's is by far the worst link in the Food Fight chain. Every time I've been there, people in my party have run into everything from complete disregard for the item ordered -- even after two returns -- to a giant shard of glass in their beer.

I want to like them, I really do; they just seem to go out of their way to make a terrible impression.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:31 am

Setting up a Tex Tubbs v. Qdoba dynamic... we'll see how that works out. Never been to Tex Tubbs, never felt that strongly about getting there based on the reviews. But I HATE Qdoba, so I'll probably give the new Tex a shot just to cast my vote.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:40 am

Thusnelda wrote:I'm actually not looking at this as a positive. While it's true that Firefly hasn't been able to make the most of its (ample) chances, Tex Tubb's is by far the worst link in the Food Fight chain. Every time I've been there, people in my party have run into everything from complete disregard for the item ordered -- even after two returns -- to a giant shard of glass in their beer.

I want to like them, I really do; they just seem to go out of their way to make a terrible impression.

Huh. It was a bit rocky when they first opened, but I can't remember too many problems since. Some of the staff members are better than others, but Travis has always been extra friendly and helpful, as have some of the more recognizable faces.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby d2drums » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:14 am

This location will be different however, waitservice, opposed from counter service like at the Atwood location, and entree specials.

Sort of like a middle ground between El Dorado and Tex Tubbs, but with similar pricing of Tex Tubbs.

So if you're a fan of Firefly come on down for its last days, and if you're a fan of Tex Tubbs come on out in September for the grand unveiling.

(How do I know all this? I work at Firefly:))

So, how do we improve service and overall satisfaction with our first "incarnation" of Tex Tubbs? Open a second location, and do everything the opposite of that first shit hole. That makes perfect sense. And who works for a company like this? Worse yet, who works for a company that takes a nose dive, and then attempts to recover by shining the turd that is the existing location? No one with any dignity or respect for their profession, that's for sure.

How many restaurants have been in that locale? Is this the fourth or fifth? How many have been "Foodfight" related? I love Southwest and Mexican fair, but have never even thought of going to T.T. after all the negative I've heard about it. This is straight bullshit if you ask me. it certainly doesn't instill anymore confidence in me to try Tex Tubbs.

P.S. Taco Palace?? If you want a fricken taco palace, bring back TNT Tacos, mutha!
d2drums

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:17 am

d2drums wrote:grrr

I think you're looking for this thread.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:18 am

I agree, Tubbs and Qdoba both kinda suck. There are certain menu items that are OK, but in general, you are not going to get an authentic burrito at either place. Then again, it is often rare to get an authentic burrito in most cities.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby d2drums » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:21 am

Agreed. I've never said word one about (that which shall remain nameless) in my defense. Truthfully, it would be hard to discuss this topic without mentioning (that which shall remain nameless) though. is there a way to go about it without bashing the mothership? (even though the mothership rolls on three flat tires)....
d2drums

Postby lukpac » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:25 am

d2drums wrote:I love Southwest and Mexican fair, but have never even thought of going to T.T. after all the negative I've heard about it. This is straight bullshit if you ask me. it certainly doesn't instill anymore confidence in me to try Tex Tubbs.

You've never been there but you know you'll hate it? How does that work?
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eurotic » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:26 am

So, how do we improve service and overall satisfaction with our first "incarnation" of Tex Tubbs? Open a second location, and do everything the opposite of that first shit hole. That makes perfect sense. And who works for a company like this? Worse yet, who works for a company that takes a nose dive, and then attempts to recover by shining the turd that is the existing location? No one with any dignity or respect for their profession, that's for sure.

How many restaurants have been in that locale? Is this the fourth or fifth? How many have been "Foodfight" related? I love Southwest and Mexican fair, but have never even thought of going to T.T. after all the negative I've heard about it. This is straight bullshit if you ask me. it certainly doesn't instill anymore confidence in me to try Tex Tubbs.

P.S. Taco Palace?? If you want a fricken taco palace, bring back TNT Tacos, mutha!

This is the 2nd Food Fight restaurant to be at that location, and I work there (as a server) as a 2nd job. Just getting the word out as I thought some people would be interested in coming out to Firefly in its final days and would be excited to go to a west side TT.

Personally, I really enjoy Tex Tubbs so I think it'll be an interesting and fun change, even though I've also enjoyed serving at Firefly. Obviously some other people disagree, but considering how many people I always see at the Atwood location I think it'll do well.

And which Food Fight restaurant were you fired from, as your reaction seems REALLY personal for a simple dorky little post on a forum...especially since you've never even been to the restaurant you're trashing so much.

By the way, I wrote this of my own volition, as I wasn't asked by FF to do so. If anything, maybe we'll be a little busier the next couple weeks and I can make a little more scratch;)
eurotic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby d2drums » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:38 am

I never said "I know I'll hate it", I said I've never thought to try it, based on all the negative reviews and discusion surrounding it, douche bag.

Hilarious that I must've been fired from one of those dumps to have an opinion of them. Please, give me something positive to go on other than what I've heard. AND, thanks for backing up my thoughts on what kind of parasites work in situations such as these:
If anything, maybe we'll be a little busier the next couple weeks and I can make a little more scratch
d2drums

Postby eurotic » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:46 am

d2drums wrote:I never said "I know I'll hate it", I said I've never thought to try it, based on all the negative reviews and discusion surrounding it, douche bag.

Hilarious that I must've been fired from one of those dumps to have an opinion of them. Please, give me something positive to go on other than what I've heard. AND, thanks for backing up my thoughts on what kind of parasites work in situations such as these:
If anything, maybe we'll be a little busier the next couple weeks and I can make a little more scratch

Well that was a joke, based on the fact that you're VERY personal about it and so I decided to play armchair psychologist and asked if that was a reason why.

And I'm a parasite? I work for the standard $2.33 an hr plus tips, so to me it's only logical to both get the word out on a place closing (um, it says so much in the heading for this area of the forum) and let people know something new is coming in. Of course it's mildly self-serving, but I'm not resorting to calling you names (and in BOLD-- how effective!) just because I announced some news...and on a "dump" you've...um...never personally experienced.

Chill out, dude. You're way too high strung for 10:45 on a Monday morning complaining about restaurants you haven't even been to. Anyone knows serious trolling on a Monday doesn't start until noon anyway.

Sheesh. It's like Food Fight burned your house down or something...
eurotic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:08 am

It's pretty ignorant to call a place derogatory names without ever having been there based on reviews from apparently random sources other than here, where many people have said good things about it.

As for "find me a positive review" rubbish, perhaps you have heard of the search button at the top of the page here? It's in a little gray box with a magnifying glass. Let me know if you need additional help finding it.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues