MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

How about gay marriage in Dane County?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Should we?

Yes
79%
No
21%

Total votes : 38

Postby bada_bingus » Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:58 am

Daisy wrote:I don't want the city of Madison passing progressive ordinances (which they presumably want developers etc to respect) while making it obvious through its actions that it considers following the law optional.

...like video poker, underage drinking, house parties, stopping for red lights, dogs crapping in parks

ShaneDog wrote:That said, I don't see why the city of Madison couldn't sue the state over laws violating Madisonians civil rights and I feel that it would be appropriate for the city to do so because of the large gay population here.
Mayor Dave has a great sense of humor and adroitly went to the head of the parade that expects "wealthy" developers to underwrite the costs of providing affordable housing, riding it into office. But, I see no signs that he's up to taking a principled stand on this issue as did the mayor of San Fran. Dave finger is up in the air to sense the political winds, not pointing forward like a leader. Fortunately, we have Pocan and Risser just up the street who do have principles.
(Where was Dave for the Action Wis town meeting last Thursday?)
bada_bingus
Forum Addict

Postby Harbinger » Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:52 pm

It would make nice news and freak out the right if gay marriages were approved in a seventh state (the fact that even Mayor Daley in Chicago supports it has convinced George Will, among others, that it's unavoidable). The problem with Parisi doing it is the Wisconsin Supreme Court has something like two right-wingers, four frothing right-wingers, a moderate, and two liberals (not that the California SC is much better). When it gets there Abramson would be the only one to OK it.
Harbinger
Forum Addict

Postby VirginBound » Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:50 pm

Harbinger wrote:It would make nice news and freak out the right if gay marriages were approved in a seventh state (the fact that even Mayor Daley in Chicago supports it has convinced George Will, among others, that it's unavoidable). The problem with Parisi doing it is the Wisconsin Supreme Court has something like two right-wingers, four frothing right-wingers, a moderate, and two liberals (not that the California SC is much better). When it gets there Abramson would be the only one to OK it.

Erm...there's only seven of 'em, not nine. Walsh Bradley is likely to follow Abrahamson and Sykes is off to the federal bench in exchange for a Doyle appointee who won't have to run until 2008. That's still not a majority, but with all the out-of-staters getting hitched in SF last week, my bet is that this is going to end up in the federal courts long before the Wisconsin judiciary ever sees it. And, in that regard...have there been any reports of same-sex couples from Wisconsin getting married in SF?
VirginBound
Forum Addict

Postby La Zona Rosa » Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:30 am

bada_bingus wrote: ...like video poker, underage drinking, house parties, stopping for red lights, dogs crapping in parks
And your "point" is...? That Madison cops haven't cited people for underage drinking? That the ALRC hasn't suspended or revoked bars' liquor licenses over it?
bada_bingus wrote:Mayor Dave has a great sense of humor and adroitly went to the head of the parade that expects "wealthy" developers to underwrite the costs of providing affordable housing, riding it into office. But, I see no signs that he's up to taking a principled stand on this issue as did the mayor of San Fran. Dave finger is up in the air to sense the political winds, not pointing forward like a leader.
What's your beef with the mayor? Doing what Newsom did, whether you agree with his approach or not, hardly requires "principled leadership" in a place like Madison or SF. It's a relatively risk-free and fast way to get yourself some media attention, as well as an approving handjob from people like you.
bada_bingus wrote: Fortunately, we have Pocan and Risser just up the street who do have principles.
If you seriously believe that Mark Pocan is more "principled" than Dave Cieslewicz, I doubt that you've had much personal experience with either.
La Zona Rosa

Postby Harbinger » Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:25 pm

ShaneDog wrote: If anyone thinks that this issue isn't going to hurt the Democrats in the short run, they are crazy

Probably won't cause nearly as many states to turn from blue to red as the Dem's wildly-unpopular 'desegregation and civil rights for the negro' platform.
Harbinger
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Headlines