MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 41.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

So...What did we learn this weekend?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

So...What did we learn this weekend?

Postby nevermore » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:22 pm

The Brewers and Cubs go an uncharacteristic 1-2 this weekend against lesser teams. This happened after tears to start the post-ASG period. Now both teams will have series against the Reds and Cards. What I learned:

1) The Brewers had a tough time adjusting the pitching staff to a post-Sheets world (as I predicted). and;

2) Opponents are not fearful of the Cubs' lineup without DLee.

Both situations are temporary. I think the two best NL teams get back on track this week against these teams. What do you think?
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:26 am

What does Sheets have to do with anything? Our starting pitching was just fine. Middle relief sucked.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:42 am

Yeah. The Brewers starting staff is not the problem. It's the fact that they generally aren't hitting worth a crap that's far more problematic. Last night's a prime example of that. When you load the bases in the 11th inning with no one out, against the worst team in the division, YOU HAVE TO SCORE. That is the sort of thing that will keep them from winning the division. That's just incredibly bad baseball.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cdhopper » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:43 pm

Paco wrote:What does Sheets have to do with anything? Our starting pitching was just fine. Middle relief sucked.

Suppan started on Friday night......and sucked.
cdhopper

Postby Paco » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:21 pm

Not sure if you're kidding or not.

Starting pitchers last 11 games.......

IP ER
6 3
8 1
6.2 1
6 3
5 3* Suppan
6 0
7 2
5 2
6 3
6 2
3.1 1 * Sheets
--------------
65 21 ERA < 3.00

41 total runs given up in that time.
~era for relievers 6.00?
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:29 pm

Point taken. And the Brewers' Front Office must agree as they just traded away three pitching prospects for Scott Linebrink - who's a free agent after this year. Hope his 1.22 WHIP and mere 15 holds are worth it.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:57 am

I think they gave up too much..Inman is supposed to be pretty good. 3rd best prospect on the farm, and only 20 yrs old.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cdhopper » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:25 am

Paco wrote:Not sure if you're kidding or not.

Yeah, kind of. I guess the 8 or 9 hits and couple walks and 3 runs he gave up were spread out over 5 innings. My frustration is more with Suppan specifically, and that he's 8-9 with an ERA over 5 for the year. Honestly, I expected him to be better. His stats in years past weren't terrifically better, but they were better.

And maybe I had too many beers at the game on Friday and spoke too soon to blame Suppan for the loss. From the stands, and behind the guy who insisted on his 50 cents in change from the vendor he bought a bottle of water from, it seemed like he blew.
cdhopper

Postby cdhopper » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:33 am

From madison.com this morning:

This setback could be linked to right-hander Jeff Suppan (8-9), who was the Brewers' biggest offseason acquisition but is struggling along with the rest of the team these days.

"It's been a battle," said Suppan, who gave up five runs -- all with two outs -- and 10 hits in five innings. "I'm just trying to work through it and do what I can."

and:

In the offseason, the right-hander got a four-year, $42 million contract that was the biggest in Brewers' history. His short starts for the Brewers have taxed their bullpen.

Suppan has pitched five or fewer innings in six of his last eight starts.
cdhopper

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking