MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

College football recruiting and text messages

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

College football recruiting and text messages

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:29 pm

They were just banned.
Wednesday marked the first day of the NCAA's ban on text messaging recruits. Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema sat in a hotel lobby Wednesday morning spinning his BlackBerry on a table.

"We can't text anymore, which is fine by me," Bielema said. "I just think overall we have a needy society now. Guys want to be loved and patted on the back. … We don't do too much coddling. I might be screwing up, but we really don't go after guys if they need that. I tell guys if you get a text message from me, it's because I want to talk to you. I'm not going to text you every day to ask you how your day was and how your girlfriend is doing. If you're interested in football or academics, I'll talk to you about that. But I'm not going to talk to you just because you want to be loved."

Illinois coach Ron Zook, who made text messages a major part of his recruiting efforts, said the ban hadn't yet hit him.

"Not yet," Zook said. "I'm sure sometime this afternoon I'll think about it."

Probably tells you something about the difference between the Badger and Illini programs.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:47 pm

Why is my bullshit detector blinking?
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:13 pm

white_rabbit wrote:Why is my bullshit detector blinking?

Would espn lie to you?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:22 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:Why is my bullshit detector blinking?

Would espn lie to you?

Yeah, we got a regular Momma Theresa coaching the mighty UW Badgers franchise. For me to believe that Bielema doesn't stroke the egos of recruits is for me to believe that Maxine isn't a sock-puppet.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:47 pm

Here's the difference between Bielema and Zook: Zook is a good recruiter who can't coach. Bielema is a good recruiter who seems to actually be able to run a game.

All recruits are coddled to a certain degree, but few players are. All you need to do is look at programs like Arkansas to see what some coaches are willing to do to land hyped high school kids. So far, Bielema hasn't been guilty of that, although John Clay has yet to hit campus yet.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:11 pm

I've heard that John Clay hasn't been declared ineligible yet because he still has a summer school class to complete. If that's the case then he probably isn't that much of a reach academically. Furthermore, if true, they should be bringing in tutors from other planets to teach this kid up. Of course this is mainly conjecture, but I dare you to name me a major program that hasn't recruited a borderline student.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:49 pm

O.J. wrote:Furthermore, if true, they should be bringing in tutors from other planets to teach this kid up.

I doubt they're not doing that. The investment-to-return ratio of paying academic handlers for a kid you can count on for about 175 yds and 2 TDs a game is phenomenal. That's the difference between a BCS and non-BCS bowl game - i.e. millions of dollars.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:22 am

that wouldn't surprise me about Bielema. Last year when PJ?, the rb, sat out a game or two with a foot injury, BB said "he's got to get a lot tougher.' They guy could barely walk, 18 yr old freshman and he's saying that?
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:10 pm

O.J. wrote:I've heard that John Clay hasn't been declared ineligible yet because he still has a summer school class to complete.

You know, I've seen that picture and can assure you that Johnny Clay is not going to get away with the loot.

buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking